Clear All

• High tea at the Grand Floridian Garden View Lounge

Anyone ever try this?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dinin...taurant.ID=305

Worth doing? Fun? Relaxing? Boring?
    sigpic
    Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Re: High tea at the Grand Floridian Garden View Lounge

I want to try it. I think BA did this. It sounded like lots of fun. Anything that involves any kind of sweet....I'm all for it!

Comment

It is very nice, and probably one of the most chill experiences on Disney property besides a massage. and the cucumber sandwhiches are VERY good. Though if you do go, I would reccomend you go on the same day the ladies in the red hats go! It is pretty awesome having high tea with a lot of women of age who are all wearing purple dresses, and red hats!
      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

OMG! Tea is my coffee, how did I not know about this! Thanks for the link Sweetie!

Anyone up for some Mice Chat tea time?

Comment

Just a point on the term "High Tea." What many Americans refer to as "High Tea" is actually called an "Afternoon Tea."

This is a common mistake here in America primarily because of this type of service being incorrectly referred to has "High Tea" in U.S. produced movies and TV shows for decades.

A High Tea would traditionally contain much more substantial fare on the bill such as Cornish pasties, Scotch woodcock, Welsh rabbit or other meat and fish dishes...in addition to the scones and crumpets and such.

An Afternoon Tea is what many Americans incorrectly refer to as High Tea. An Afternoon Tea is usually tea accompanied by finger sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, jams, and other sweets and savories.

High Tea functions as sort of the evening meal or supper, while the Afternoon Tea is meant as more of a snack service between lunch and a usually late scheduled dinner.

So if you're looking for the lighter tea and savories thing most U.S. folks think of...show your savvy by ordering the "Afternoon Tea" service, rather than "High Tea" service. Though I suspect that most tea parlor operators in the U.S. have heard the wrong term used so many times, that if you use High Tea...they'll probably guess what you really want.

We've done the Grand Floridian's tea services many times and they really do a great job of it. When we were last there, all of their packaged services (except perhaps one) were of the "Afternoon Tea" type.

Comment

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
            Just a point on the term "High Tea." What many Americans refer to as "High Tea" is actually called an "Afternoon Tea."

This is a common mistake here in America primarily because of this type of service being incorrectly referred to has "High Tea" in U.S. produced movies and TV shows for decades.

A High Tea would traditionally contain much more substantial fare on the bill such as Cornish pasties, Scotch woodcock, Welsh rabbit or other meat and fish dishes...in addition to the scones and crumpets and such.

An Afternoon Tea is what many Americans incorrectly refer to as High Tea. An Afternoon Tea is usually tea accompanied by finger sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, jams, and other sweets and savories.

High Tea functions as sort of the evening meal or supper, while the Afternoon Tea is meant as more of a snack service between lunch and a usually late scheduled dinner.

So if you're looking for the lighter tea and savories thing most U.S. folks think of...show your savvy by ordering the "Afternoon Tea" service, rather than "High Tea" service. Though I suspect that most tea parlor operators in the U.S. have heard the wrong term used so many times, that if you use High Tea...they'll probably guess what you really want.

We've done the Grand Floridian's tea services many times and they really do a great job of it. When we were last there, all of their packaged services (except perhaps one) were of the "Afternoon Tea" type.
            I stand corrected. Thanks!
            sigpic

Comment

I have done this several times now, and it is a very relaxing retreat from the parks. I highly recommend it.

The above page is from my trip report. I was at Disney World, and we did the Afternoon Tea. If you go to the Allears website, they have the menu for the Afternoon Tea at the Garden View Lounge. I always ask for the 2 o'clock time, which is when it first opens.
              Last edited by Barbaraann; 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM.
              BarbaraAnn

Comment

Just booked it for my upcoming trip. Not an easy reservation, BTW! I had to suppy 4 alternate dates until they found something!
                sigpic

Comment

I always call as soon as I can.

I hope you enjoy it.
                  BarbaraAnn

Comment

see? I knew BA had done it. She mentioned it on one of her trip reports....and it sounded SO good...I wanted to try it. I'm thinking about taking my mom and daughter the next trip we take. NIce little "girls" outing.

Comment

We did it ages ago and it was one of the highlights of the trip for our daughter. Definitely worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                        see? I knew BA had done it. She mentioned it on one of her trip reports....and it sounded SO good...I wanted to try it. I'm thinking about taking my mom and daughter the next trip we take. NIce little "girls" outing.
                        It does make for a nice "girls outing" type thing. But don't forget that Afternoon Tea is a popular activity for men as well. Why...even this guy...

...was known to hoist a few Earl Greys.

Comment

aw!!!!! what a cute picture!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
                            It does make for a nice "girls outing" type thing. But don't forget that Afternoon Tea is a popular activity for men as well. Why...even this guy...

...was known to hoist a few Earl Greys.

I love it!

Is that a painting?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetie View Post
                              I love it!

Is that a painting?
                              No...it's a photo. Although by enlarging it, it got pixilated a bit and may look like a painting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X