This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Disney Post Eisner

I'm not really certain what forum to put this in. So I'll start it here and if there's a better one for this discussion, feel free to move it there.

I just finished reading the book DisneyWar which is by far one of the most interesting non fiction pieces I have ever had the pleasure of reading. It really opened my eyes up to the truth about Michael Eisner. Before reading the book I only knew of the Eisner from the last few years at Disney, the "evil" Eisner. The book is fair and showcases all of his faults but also all of his successes. Its evident after reading through all of this that he was the perfect fit for this company when Roy and Gold brought him on board. The success that he, Wells, and Katzenberg had as a team is unparalleled. But shortly after his falling out with Katzenberg and Wells death (and probably related to his own heart attack), Michael changed and felt that he was the Walt Disney company.

Anyhow, the book ends just as Eisner announces that he's going to resign from both the CEO and Chairman position. Does anybody here know what the rest of the story was from that point. Obviously Iger steps in and repairs relationships with Roy and Jobs at Pixar, but is there more to the story that goes on? I found myself wishing the book just kept going all the way up to today as it was amazing simple to read but at the same time completely comprehensive.

So, what's the rest of the story?

Re: Question about Disney Post Eisner

I haven't read the book yet, but before Eisner did leave,
    there was an agreement to purchase Kermit, Piggy and crew.
    I really wonder how much Eisner was involved in that agreement,
    or if Iger was really the one who negotiated that deal.
    Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
    An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
    Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
    Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

While Walt and Roy were running things, Disney financially struggled, but continued to put out quality products leading to enough profits to continue running the company. Eisner made certain that Disney would never struggle financially again, but sold out the soul of the company in the process.

Comment

Well in all fairness, Eisner didn't start out by selling out the soul of the company. Animation had a major resurgence under the guidance of Katzenberg (mainly) but Eisner as well. And EuroDisney was a very expensive and beautiful park, they just didn't really understand how to market it to the more ficel European market and they spent way too much money on the park (especially on the castle). For a long while it was almost a resurgence of the glory days. Eisner was free to be creative like Walt and Wells took on the role of Roy taking on the financial side of things. They made a great team and neither one would have had that success without the other. I truly think Eisner really was a very creative executive, but once he took the entire mantle of running the entire organization on his own and quit trusting anybody that the company began to take a nosedive.

But again my question is for anybody who knows the ins and outs of the boardroom politics after Roy and Stanley's Save Disney campaign succeeded. Was Eisner still in charge or was he a lame duck? I also saw a very dark and Eisneresque side to Iger as president (although to be fair he had to work that way or Eisner would have eaten him alive). Has he continued to be somewhat backstabbing as he was to the ABC head who's name leaves me right now, or has he returned to his much better management style that he had while originally at ABC? What other interesting things took place during that transition and early days of Iger's kingdom?

Comment

Originally posted by kcnole View Post
          So, what's the rest of the story?
          John Lasseter is brought back to Disney and saves the day. Peace is restored to the magic kingdom. The End..............or is it?

Comment

This is an interesting post...i have no clue what the story is either but i'm interested if anyone else does

Comment

For better or worse, Eisner was a good leader for the company. His time, just ran out. I like alot of stuff that Michael has done with WDW like MGM and the Muppet deals. Apparentely it was Eisner, that wanted to get Muppets so badly in the first place. That was his baby. Now he is longer with the company.
              Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

Working...
              X