Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finger readers being removed from MK?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Finger readers being removed from MK?

    The podcasts I listen to state that the finger readers at the Magic Kingdom are being removed. My friends down there are telling me, however, that they're still there. Can anyone confirm any of this stuff?

    Also, I wonder what they'll do with annual passholders once they're removed since the annuals don't have pictures and they use the finger readers to determine you haven't given your pass to someone else. Any thoughts?

  • #2
    Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

    Originally posted by ex-wdi View Post
    The podcasts I listen to state that the finger readers at the Magic Kingdom are being removed. My friends down there are telling me, however, that they're still there. Can anyone confirm any of this stuff?

    Also, I wonder what they'll do with annual passholders once they're removed since the annuals don't have pictures and they use the finger readers to determine you haven't given your pass to someone else. Any thoughts?

    They do flag you if you do multiple entries in a short amount of time. I once entered EPCOT from the International Gateway, walked over to external guest realtions for some quick DDE business, and then tried to re-enter. Before I even used the finger reader the CM asked me if I had just left and came back in. Of course I just said "yes" and they let me in. Nobody asked for picture ID or anything like that.

    -dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

      I really like the readers at Walt Disney World. It seems to be a lot more efficient than Universal where I had to physically hand my pass over and receive instructions from the person at the turnstile or Six Flags' photo based check. Obviously some don't get it, but I don't think any system will ever be fool proof.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

        Originally posted by ex-wdi View Post
        Also, I wonder what they'll do with annual passholders once they're removed since the annuals don't have pictures and they use the finger readers to determine you haven't given your pass to someone else. Any thoughts?
        Yeah... That don't wok anyways...
        He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
        follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
        DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

          Why would they only be removing them from the MK and not the other 3 parks?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

            It is a rumor. They have invested far to much money to remove those. I am guessing the podcast was talking about "scanning barcodes" for the new way of doing it. Funny that is the old way of doing it but that podcast sounded like they had never heard of it.
            Kungaloosh!

            *END OF LINE*

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

              Actually, a friend with an annual in FL just texted me after I posted that they absolutely have pulled the readers at the MK. She noted this on her visit today. It must be a test that will be expanded to the other 3 parks, they usually phase these things in that way.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                Why would they only be removing them from the MK and not the other 3 parks?
                The Magic Kingdom seems to be the test park for admission procedures. The single finger scans were tested at the Magic Kingdom before being implemented everywhere else.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                  But if they were just testing them, wouldn't they just NOT use them?

                  Pulling them away indicates they aren't coming back.

                  Maybe they are just being replaced?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                    When I worked at WDI we had discussed iris readers, but they died out if I remember correctly. The whole point was to dissuade the resale market, not for any other particular reason. Maybe they became more of a headache than they were worth? They never worked properly anyways.

                    That being said, it'll be interesting to see how this changes the annual passes. Right now no picture is necessary because it's tied to your finger stats (not a fingerprint, as many erroneously assume). But once that's gone, you could conceivably hand your pass to anyone and they could use it since there's no picture on the pass. Disney would never let that happen, so there has to be some plan in place for this.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                      ha!!! removed!!? never!! theyd lose too much money on people selling unused days on their park hoppers....trust me, theyre not going anywhere
                      sigpic Blast Off Into Adventure!!


                      Originally posted by TheRockr
                      Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                        Originally posted by Space Junk View Post
                        ha!!! removed!!? never!! theyd lose too much money on people selling unused days on their park hoppers....trust me, theyre not going anywhere

                        Dude, read the thread. I just confirmed that at MK they have been removed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                          Originally posted by ex-wdi View Post
                          That being said, it'll be interesting to see how this changes the annual passes. Right now no picture is necessary because it's tied to your finger stats (not a fingerprint, as many erroneously assume). But once that's gone, you could conceivably hand your pass to anyone and they could use it since there's no picture on the pass. Disney would never let that happen, so there has to be some plan in place for this.
                          I really like not having my picture on the pass. It is great that replacing my pass costs me nothing and the process of getting a new one is so quick.

                          Originally posted by Space Junk View Post
                          ha!!! removed!!? never!! theyd lose too much money on people selling unused days on their park hoppers....trust me, theyre not going anywhere
                          The passes expire now. The cost of purchasing No Expiration may be considered enough to prevent such abuse.

                          Originally posted by ex-wdi View Post
                          Dude, read the thread. I just confirmed that at MK they have been removed.
                          Space Junk works Space Mountain...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                            Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                            Space Junk works Space Mountain...
                            That means he probably doesn't enter through the front gates usually...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                              Well I am all for them removing the fingerscanners, mainly because I'm hoping they change the flimsy AP's they give out to the hard plastic with your photo like they have at DL. :P

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                                Resort IDs are hard plastic and they go through the finger scanning machines. So, there's no reason the APs couldn't be hard plastic too. I thought it was quite ironic that the "vouchers" you receive in the mail for APs are hard plastic. Then when you redeem them at the ticket window, they give you a paper ticket.
                                -Tim

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                                  I'm on my 2nd AP this year because of how the paper strip just rubs off. Sigh.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                                    Originally posted by halltd View Post
                                    Resort IDs are hard plastic and they go through the finger scanning machines. So, there's no reason the APs couldn't be hard plastic too. I thought it was quite ironic that the "vouchers" you receive in the mail for APs are hard plastic. Then when you redeem them at the ticket window, they give you a paper ticket.

                                    yeah, really. That's weird. Ya'll's ap's are supposed to last all year....but, they give you paper? Strange.



                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                                      Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                                      yeah, really. That's weird. Ya'll's ap's are supposed to last all year....but, they give you paper? Strange.

                                      Don't try to apply logic to corporate cost management decisions, it only gives you a headache.
                                      Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Finger readers being removed from MK?

                                        Originally posted by halltd View Post
                                        Resort IDs are hard plastic and they go through the finger scanning machines. So, there's no reason the APs couldn't be hard plastic too. I thought it was quite ironic that the "vouchers" you receive in the mail for APs are hard plastic. Then when you redeem them at the ticket window, they give you a paper ticket.
                                        I agree. Even the voucher you buy at the Disney Store is plastic. Boggles the mind. Even the FunCards from Busch Gardens/Sea World have your photo on them. Well at least the one I had for a couple years did but that was in like 2000/2001 so it might have changed since then.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X