X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HUGE price increase for rental strollers

Originally posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Maybe this HUGE increase will cause the HUGE guests to stop pushing their lazy brats around and help stop this childhood obesity epidemic. If your kid can walk, they should. Plain and simple. Sorry if it makes Mommy and Daddy's trip a bit more difficult.
    Please realize that parents of "older kids" who rent strollers probably don't use strollers for those kids in real life.

In other words, you can't blame childhood obesity on riding in a stroller for a few days while at Disney World.

Now, some might respond, "No, silly, I know a trip to Disney World won't cause obesity. But it's indicative of an overall mindset of the parents."

And I would respond to that ... you are assuming WAAAAAY to much. Take my family for example. The last time we were there, my wife and I were in the midst of training for a half-marathon, our first. We value exercise, and our kids know how much we value exercise. Our kids aren't particularly sedentary. In addition to the normal childhood playing, we often took them out onto the Boardwalk to train with us on days when we were doing shorter and slower workouts. In fact, before our second half-marathon, my daughter, then 5, was able to run faster than me for the first 1.25 miles. But after that, she was done for the afternoon. She's not able to run the 13.1 miles I am.

To cover the MILES we'd want to cover while at WDW, they would peter out quicker than we'd all like. We're not commandos, but at the same time we can't go to WDW very often and like to fit in what we reasonably can. If we have a choice of doing 6 attractions without a stroller or 11 attractions with a stroller, which would you choose? Each of those attractions represents a potential life-long cherished memory for our kids and for us.

We can fit more enjoyment into our trip if we can cover more ground (by using FASTPASS wisely, etc.). And since we wouldn't be able to cover as much ground at any speed if our then 6.5 year old and 4 year old had to hike it all, we've rented strollers.

How dare anyone accuse me of being a bad parent for supposedly fostering life-threatening medical conditions in my kids on the flimsy "evidence" that twice in three years I rented a stroller for a week.

Comment

I would rather just rent a car. But thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sillyup10 View Post
        I would rather just rent a car. But thats just me.
        You do realize that there are no parking space in front of Soarin'? (or any other WDW attraction)
        Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
        I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
        on Bay Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
          You do realize that there are no parking space in front of Soarin'? (or any other WDW attraction)
          Well...I would rent one instead . They seriously should let you drive in the parks....

Comment

Originally posted by CleveRocks View Post
            Please realize that parents of "older kids" who rent strollers probably don't use strollers for those kids in real life.
            Thats exactly right. My 4 and 6 year olds do not use a stroller anywhere, but they will need one at WDW. Its just too big with too much walking for their little legs. It will just be too tough for them
            www.jamboeveryone.com
            Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
              Or is this their way to deal with the LARGE number of strollers present in the parks?
              Bingo.. its a way to deter 'might as well...' usage.

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
              Thats exactly right. My 4 and 6 year olds do not use a stroller anywhere, but they will need one at WDW. Its just too big with too much walking for their little legs. It will just be too tough for them
              I think you'd be very suprised. I took three kids under 7yrs old last time (youngest was 4) and they didn't need strollers for walking.

We took an umbrella stroller for the point when she needed a nap. You don't need the gargantuan non-flexible strollers for that. The umbrella stroller was small, practical, and useful for when the youngest could not keep up (in a rush) or needed a nap. And it was put away when not needed.. and could ride the bus with us.

That's 1 umbrella stroller and 3 kids.

Comment

Well keep in mind it used to be just the Magic Kingdom and you could easily spend 3-4 days just in the park, with the addition of additional gates, no more ticket books, and more on site hotels and visitors, people are touring the parks a lot harder than they used to. So yes I see why even older kids need the strollers, it's just how it is these days.

I would argue there are fewer little nooks and crannies in the MK than there used to be, by that I mean the details and specialty shops, there was a time where you had to actually go into every store to shop not just hit it all in the Emporium strip mall there is today... I remember the Magic Shop, Penny arcade, watch store, camera shop, all where a lot different. Now with merchandising being generic I feel there is actually less to see and the emphasis is now on running from attraction to attraction as quickly as possible and the immersion of the different lands has been to a greater or lesser extent lost in the shuffle.

So if your not slowly strolling and looking at everything and just running from point a to b as quickly as possible, kids can't move as fast, get tired and cranky faster, the strollers become not a luxury but a necessity to keep everyone in the family sane. As a parent I get that, I don't think we should be scolding other parents for doing it unless of course they ram the back of your heels with said stroller. (Do it twice and said kids might learn a few new words...I've seen it happen!)

Now that being said I wish Disney would add more detail and undo some of the changes in their merchandising layout, not likely to happen anytime real soon so upping the stroller fee is a quick fix. Everyone will have to determine what is best for them and try to make the most of it. I personally don't think it will significantly decrease the total number of strollers in the park, number of Disney strollers maybe, but I have a feeling the total number will still be up there.
                Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                  We took an umbrella stroller for the point when she needed a nap. You don't need the gargantuan non-flexible strollers for that. The umbrella stroller was small, practical, and useful for when the youngest could not keep up (in a rush) or needed a nap. And it was put away when not needed.. and could ride the bus with us.

That's 1 umbrella stroller and 3 kids.
                  I'm bringing 2 strollers for my 4 and 6 year olds. Easy to carrier and if they both konk out at the same time I'll need two. Epcot is especiallly tough on the kids
                  www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
                    I'm bringing 2 strollers for my 4 and 6 year olds. Easy to carrier and if they both konk out at the same time I'll need two. Epcot is especiallly tough on the kids

It's hard on a lot of adults as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                      It's hard on a lot of adults as well.
                      I wish they had extra large umbrella strollers
                      www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

I'm not anti-stroller, but I also am not sure why they are big enough for adults (like twice the size they need to be).
                        Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

^ The same reason houses and cars in the US are twice the size they need to be.
                          -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by halltd View Post
                            ^ The same reason houses and cars in the US are twice the size they need to be.
                            But I don't need to steer my house through a sea of thousands of people.
                            Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
                              But I don't need to steer my house through a sea of thousands of people.
                              Not unless Al Gore was way way off about the timeline for sea level rising due to global warming anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                                Not unless Al Gore was way way off about the timeline for sea level rising due to global warming anyways...
                                Yes, or if a new Ark was ever needed to start stashing away animals 2x2... (those massive strollers would work very well for that as well!)
                                Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

Working...
                                X