X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taking a baby to the Magic Kingdom

Originally posted by lilgerm View Post
    Having a baby is one of the most SELFLESS and SELFISH things a human can do.

Taking your child under two years old to DISNEY is a selfish act by the parents. A baby would rather be in his play area with its toys in a safe enviroment.

there is a reason why disney does not charge for infants.....
    Um, both of my boys have had a wonderful time at DL under age 2. Keeping a toddler in a playpen all the time and never introducing him to anything new is, in my opinion, a lot more selfish than spending a day at DL.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Taking your child under two years old to DISNEY is a selfish act by the parents. A baby would rather be in his play area with its toys in a safe enviroment.

Color me selfish because I am taking my daughter when she is 13 months old.

It's a parental choice as to what age to take your kids.
      Katie :yea:
      Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
      :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

I took mine at that age and I am taking him again at 20 months. I am very selfish. I selfishly enjoy watching him run around and play. It stimulates his mind and helps him learn. I feel sorry for any child who is locked up in a playyard until they are older than 2. It makes me sad
        Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

My son had his first trip to DL at 18 months. We live close to the park, but I thought that was a good age for him. We also knew that the trip was for him to have fun and not for us to cram as many rides in as we could. We went at his pace, not ours. It was a fantastically wonderful experience!
          <o>

Comment

Originally posted by sorceress1986 View Post
            See, I honestly don't understand why people take their kids so young. I've seen people with infants that couldn't be more than a couple of weeks old. It's difficult on you and I'm pretty sure the baby doesn't benefit from it either. Sensory overload, getting jostled around all day, an unfamiliar environment, having big and possible scary things thrust in your face like you understand. I know people would like to believe that, though these infants barely comprehend anything, that they "remember" these things......

Eh. Guess what, babies and toddlers enjoy going to zoos, parks, Disneyland and the point of taking them isn't whether or not they'll remember the experience, but that they got the experience at all. Just like when you read or sing to them....all these experiences affect their brain development, and whether they remember the activities is irrelevant.

As for selfish, that's ridiculous. When you have children you give up that right. If you want to enjoy yourself at a theme park with an infant and you're responsive to the needs of your child, then it can be a wonderful experience for everyone.

Our three of our daughters went to Disneyland at young ages (I was 17 months my first trip). Our oldest was 2.5, our middle daughter was 22 months and our youngest was 10 months. Each of those first trips was magical. And that's the point.

Comment

My son loves being out in public. He loves seeing bright lights, movement, music, etc... I don't think he's going to remember this trip, but I'm hoping there will be things he'll enjoy. Will he get fussy? I'm sure he will, that's when we'll head back to the hotel room and let him nap. I'm hoping he does well. We'll see how he does at MK on that Monday, if he does well then we'll do Universal the next day before coming home. If not, then we'll just take it slow at the hotel and play in the pools that day, maybe visit a mall or DTD for my wife.

I don't see it as being selfish as long as we take care of his needs while he's there. He loves being out of the house and gets fussy when he has to stay inside. I admit it'll be a bit of a challenge, but I think it'll be fun to see how he reacts. To those of you who think its an awful idea to take a child out I have to wonder if you have kids yourself? I know my perspective on what children like has drastically changed since having one of my own.

Comment

I think it's a great idea, my parents took me when I was very little and I hardly have any memories of it, except for one that really stands out and I dont know why, My mom bought me a giant cookie at MGM while my dad and sister went on star tours, and an ewok came up to me and tried to steal my cookie, its not much of a memory but it was my first real disney moment, and now every time I hear the star wars theme song I think of MGM, and its the only thing I can really remember of that trip. It is those kind of things that will probably stick out, just one particular moment in time that your child remembers. Go for it, besides, even if your child does not remember it, it will certainly be a magical memory for you.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
                  Eh. Guess what, babies and toddlers enjoy going to zoos, parks, Disneyland and the point of taking them isn't whether or not they'll remember the experience, but that they got the experience at all. Just like when you read or sing to them....all these experiences affect their brain development, and whether they remember the activities is irrelevant.
                  Fine, take them to the zoo or the park. Disney is the culmination of these things. Build up to it over time so they understand that a park/zoo is not the same as a Disney park. I feel like taking them so young is like equating them all as one, and it isn't the case. Disney doesn't help with so many stupid "toddler play areas". You spent the money to get there to let them spend hours running around an area that looks like a park in the first place? Yeah, logical...

For one thing, I don't understand the expense. Sure, the kid is free, but I feel like it's a bit of a waste for the parents to pay themselves (although I'm sure some here would go wither way) when the child is simply too young developmentally.

And personally, I think if you take them too young, it may cease to be a "magical" experience. I've been criticized for wanting to wait until the child understands the magnitude of the trip. My goddaughter knew what the castle was and saw the careousel and begged to go on it. I feel like taking them so young and often sort of diminishes the "special" in it. The first time should be special like that and how can it be when the child is so little, he/she doesn't really understand what is going on?

And I don't remember my first trip particularly either, but I remember very well the feelign and that is what has stuck with me. That is probably my point more than jst remembering, but understanding and valuing it without taking it for granted. keeping it special. Jus
                  My mind won't rest
                  and I don't sleep
                  Not even in my dreams...
                  -"If You Ever Did Believe"
                  written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
                  1985-2005

Comment

^ You know, I can see your point and I even agree with some of it but I also see their point and I don't think it should be our place to tell someone how they want to spend their vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by dsnylndmom View Post
                      Um, both of my boys have had a wonderful time at DL under age 2. Keeping a toddler in a playpen all the time and never introducing him to anything new is, in my opinion, a lot more selfish than spending a day at DL.
                      Agreed. Who knows what synaptic connections are forming and coalescing as the infant is exposed to new stimuli? Why do a lot of experts suggest exposing the baby to classical music early, even in the womb? Why do they suggest varying color schemes? Richness of environment can't hurt.

It's far from "selfish" to take infants to Disney parks, in my opinion...

Comment

When we went with my daughter at 10 months old, it was crazy what she learned. She learned to wave.. she was waving like crazy to everyone we passed, uptill that weekend had never done that. She also learned to point.. which for us was huge. After that she was able to tell us what she wanted, or wanted to show us. Our last trip when she was 15 months old, we took pictures with goofy, when she sees a picture of goofy, she goes nuts! She also recognizes anything disney. I can go on and on of all the stuff she seemed to learn or pick up over our trip. So maybe she won't remember it moment for moment, but she does remember some. Whether some find it selfish or not, me and my husband enjoyed it too. I can't imagine not taking her. That seems more selfish than bringing her.

Comment

Originally posted by sorceress1986 View Post
                          Fine, take them to the zoo or the park. Disney is the culmination of these things. Build up to it over time so they understand that a park/zoo is not the same as a Disney park. I feel like taking them so young is like equating them all as one, and it isn't the case. Disney doesn't help with so many stupid "toddler play areas". You spent the money to get there to let them spend hours running around an area that looks like a park in the first place? Yeah, logical...

For one thing, I don't understand the expense. Sure, the kid is free, but I feel like it's a bit of a waste for the parents to pay themselves (although I'm sure some here would go wither way) when the child is simply too young developmentally.

And personally, I think if you take them too young, it may cease to be a "magical" experience. I've been criticized for wanting to wait until the child understands the magnitude of the trip. My goddaughter knew what the castle was and saw the careousel and begged to go on it. I feel like taking them so young and often sort of diminishes the "special" in it. The first time should be special like that and how can it be when the child is so little, he/she doesn't really understand what is going on?

And I don't remember my first trip particularly either, but I remember very well the feelign and that is what has stuck with me. That is probably my point more than jst remembering, but understanding and valuing it without taking it for granted. keeping it special. Jus
                          But see, that's YOUR priority, keeping Disneyland some revered ultra special place. And. that's. great. for. you.

Other people take their kids every weekend with their annual passes. And that's great for them. How lucky are those kids? That's awesome. So what if it becomes just like another park or zoo to those kids? They're growing up in Disneyland and where's the harm in that?

We go once a year for a week if we're lucky. If I don't care about the expense of bringing my young child, so neither should you. It's my choice to spend my family vacation dollars at Disneyland. It's clean, it's bright and cheery, it's a parent's dream come true as a vacation destination. Duh. That's why there are kids there, and young kids, too.

And every time we go it's special, so I don't get your point about waiting until they understand the meaning of Disneyland. They're excited and freaking out about the trip every time we go.

I know people who burn out on Disneyland, but these are the same people who buy AP's when they can, and they eventually fall back in love with the parks, and crave to be there again. That's love, baby.

Originally posted by ameeg View Post
                          When we went with my daughter at 10 months old, it was crazy what she learned. She learned to wave.. she was waving like crazy to everyone we passed, uptill that weekend had never done that. She also learned to point.. which for us was huge. After that she was able to tell us what she wanted, or wanted to show us. Our last trip when she was 15 months old, we took pictures with goofy, when she sees a picture of goofy, she goes nuts! She also recognizes anything disney. I can go on and on of all the stuff she seemed to learn or pick up over our trip. So maybe she won't remember it moment for moment, but she does remember some. Whether some find it selfish or not, me and my husband enjoyed it too. I can't imagine not taking her. That seems more selfish than bringing her.
                          The first time we took my middle daughter she was 22 months and didn't talk. At all. She started talking during the trip. :gladsad: It was truly magical.

Comment

Working...
                          X