This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up, Up, Up with Dining Prices ...

Apparently the gouging of diners at WDW has no end so long as the evil DDP is around.

Prices at most full serve locations have just gone up. Some increases are just $1 an entree, others are as much as $7 (yes, for the same item).

And don't forget that 'holiday (i.e. screw the guest) prices' are just around the corner for summer visitors!

Magical.

Re: Up, Up, Up with Dining Prices ...

Yet another reason I'm glad I do the counter service places.

Comment

grr I did such an extensive job budgeting our food for my may trip too

Comment

Another reason to join DDE I'm afraid.
        Originally posted by aimster View Post
        Yet another reason I'm glad I do the counter service places.
        As long as they don't replace everything with smaller versions like they did recently with the chicken baskets... I'll have to agree with you on that aimster.

Comment

Wait a minute... they change food prices seasonally at the World? That's rediculous!!

Comment

Originally posted by dland_lover View Post
            Wait a minute... they change food prices seasonally at the World? That's rediculous!!
            Yup. They actually have a free dining promotion in late August/September and they zap you an extra few bucks over the holidays. Yet Holidays are still totally crammed and September not.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
              Another reason to join DDE I'm afraid.As long as they don't replace everything with smaller versions like they did recently with the chicken baskets... I'll have to agree with you on that aimster.
              That's one thing I've always liked about Disney. On most things, despite the extra expense, you always got decent sized portions. I always hate when you go to an amusement park and pay $7 for a burger or something and it's about the size of a McDonald's Cheeseburger.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1974 View Post

And don't forget that 'holiday (i.e. screw the guest) prices' are just around the corner for summer visitors!

Magical.
                This is true for most tourist destinations. Especially beach areas that need to make their profits in the summer months to get through the winter. Not that Disney needs to get through the winter!

This also brings to mind when Disney starting charging higher weekend rates for rooms. Their excuse was that they were bringing it to the industry's standards.
                Denise
                www.magicaltravel.com Sponsors of the Disney Cruise Line Forum:thumbup:

Be careful of imitators. Only book with
                Authorized Disney Vacation Planners!
                denise@magicaltravel.com

Comment

Originally posted by Denise View Post
                  This also brings to mind when Disney starting charging higher weekend rates for rooms. Their excuse was that they were bringing it to the industry's standards.
                  LOL Industry standards, that's a good one!

My problem is the discounted rates that are only available Sun-Thu for Florida Residents.

Why would a FL resident go in the middle of the week? I know they do this on purpose but don't insult my intelligence by thinking I'm getting a great deal that I would hardly take advantage of.

Comment

This mess is going to take a decade to sort itself out. They downward spiral will go on for a few more years and then its going to take a few years of shear pain for Disney to react.. and then its going to take a few years to fix!

Prices are one thing - but the menus and choices are the real gem. By homogenizing those.. the prices are not going to be justified. Disney will keep people in the resturants purely by being a captive audience... which is going to lead to a pissed off captive audience.

Here's hoping Disney Dining will return to stardom in 2018!

Comment

Eh, if counter service becomes mediocre, I'll take my car and drive off site. I feel bad for the people who don't have that option however.

Comment

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
                        Eh, if counter service becomes mediocre, I'll take my car and drive off site. I feel bad for the people who don't have that option however.
                        For people like you who are local, AP holders, know the area and have a car there that makes sense. Problem is for the majority of folks who fly in and buy a package it's hard to justify loosing a few hours mid day to run out to MacDonalds to save a few bucks. Although I know some people do do this, I think they are being penny wise dollar foolish myself but that's their choice.

Disney is not alone, all theme park food with one or two exceptions (have to get that in there before the we love Mythos crowd attack) is way overpriced and not that great. The industry is betting on the fact that you will not leave the parks and loose valuable park time. Disney is actually better than most of the parks I've sampled up and down the east coast in terms of Price, quality, and variety, however I agree it is declining in some areas.

The end result is folks like myself who are Disneyhaolics and go as often as we can are going less frequently as we have to budget more money per trip. Its used to be every 5-6 months, now its once a year or less and we are going elsewhere in the interim and purchasing AP's for local amusement parks all money out of Disney pockets and into someone else's. In the final equation this hurts Disney, although I don't think they have realized it yet.
                        Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                          For people like you who are local, AP holders, know the area and have a car there that makes sense. Problem is for the majority of folks who fly in and buy a package it's hard to justify loosing a few hours mid day to run out to MacDonalds to save a few bucks. Although I know some people do do this, I think they are being penny wise dollar foolish myself but that's their choice.

Disney is not alone, all theme park food with one or two exceptions (have to get that in there before the we love Mythos crowd attack) is way overpriced and not that great. The industry is betting on the fact that you will not leave the parks and loose valuable park time. Disney is actually better than most of the parks I've sampled up and down the east coast in terms of Price, quality, and variety, however I agree it is declining in some areas.

The end result is folks like myself who are Disneyhaolics and go as often as we can are going less frequently as we have to budget more money per trip. Its used to be every 5-6 months, now its once a year or less and we are going elsewhere in the interim and purchasing AP's for local amusement parks all money out of Disney pockets and into someone else's. In the final equation this hurts Disney, although I don't think they have realized it yet.

Absolutely, the average WDW guest will suffer, no doubt in my mind, in return, Disney will suffer.

Although, for future reference I would be happy to drive over and run you to the grocery store so you can stock up for your family Jerren. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
                            Absolutely, the average WDW guest will suffer, no doubt in my mind, in return, Disney will suffer.

Although, for future reference I would be happy to drive over and run you to the grocery store so you can stock up for your family Jerren. LOL

It's good to have friends! Thanks hun!

Comment

Originally posted by Denise View Post

Of course, industry standards tend towards very low weekday rates (like if the Polynesian was $99 during the week).
                              Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                              I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                              on Bay Lake.

Comment

Honestly, on our 3 trips to "The World" we were actually surprised the food prices were so reasonable. Especially when compared to the prices for the same item at Disneyland (and the quality was usually better at WDW).

So

A: I'm not surprised
                                and
                                B: It was probably time anyway.

Comment

Another reason why you should buy Discount Walt Disney World Theme Park Tickets! :-)
                                  Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by OFTEric View Post
                                    Another reason why you should buy Discount Walt Disney World Theme Park Tickets! :-)

Shameless, absolutely shameless... I respect that! )

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                                      It's good to have friends! Thanks hun!
                                      What does that make me, chopped liver! Heh... you already have me on speed-dial I'm afraid.

Comment

There are lots of amusement and theme parks that somehow provide great food for reasonable prices. Holiday World is one of them: http://www.holidayworld.com/food.html . They're even not affraid to put the menu on their website! Also, in case you're wondering.... soft drinks are INCLUDED with admission, as well as sunscreen in the park! Lake Compounce in CT also offer cheap food prices, great food and soft drinks that are included with admission.

Knoebels in PA has an amazing food selection and many locals just pop in to eat, as the place still runs with the old tickets/wristbands option and has no turnstiles.

Comment

Working...
                                        X