This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Iger says, "No Ratatouille Attractions"

Ok on CNN Money Bob Iger has something to say about a Rataouille themed attraction...

And not everything has to be a franchise. I was recently asked whether "Ratatouille" was a franchise. I said no: "Ratatouille" is an extremely good animated film and will be a classic unto itself, but it is not a franchise. You are not going to see "Ratatouille" attractions in parks. When you look at "Toy Story," we're making our third film, we're opening two Toy Story Mania attractions at parks this summer, we have a very strong consumer products line, we have a "Toy Story" musical opening on the cruise line, we have a game in development - that's a franchise.
    http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/11/news...rview.fortune/
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Re: Bob Iger says, "No Ratatouille Attractions"

ORWEN: Well, how do you like that?! After all that money Remy and his many friends went and made for the Disney Company and then Mr. Iger turns his hairy back on every one of them!! I was really looking forward to a Mad Rata-coaster at Disney Hollywood Studios--

ORGOCH: --(formerly known as Dizzy M&M's)

ORWEN: --too!! Well, this is just one slap in the fact too many!! I hope Mr. Iger finds nothing but fleas and ticks in his underwear for the next 7 years!!

Comment

I guess will get a Crush Coaster at MGM then
      www.jamboeveryone.com
      Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
        IDK. There seems to be a lot of flux with what is going on at DHS these days.

Comment

Thanks for the link to the article. Lots of interesting stuff in there.

Comment

wow props to Iger. I absoluetly agree with him. Not everything has to be a cartoon tie-in and not every movie needs a ride. Ratatouille is a classic and will be rememberd by audiances for ages to come it doesn't need a ride.

Comment

But then when they create awesome attractions without character tie-ins, the public complains and they eventually add characters back. (see DAK)
              -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
                Better to have a wild mouse than not to have one I guess, but I wish it's something other than Nemo. There's already Nemo ride, Nemo show, Turtle Talk...more Nemo at one resort is a little overkill IMO.
                Down with the Hat

Comment

A Rataouille themed restaurant might be OK. Definitely not a show or ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
                    wow props to Iger. I absoluetly agree with him. Not everything has to be a cartoon tie-in and not every movie needs a ride. Ratatouille is a classic and will be rememberd by audiances for ages to come it doesn't need a ride.
                    I wouldn't be applauding so soon. The Disney Store I work at still has a bunch of Ratatouille merchandise. The action figures, originally something like $12.50, didn't start to sell until they were dropped to . The synergy simply isn't there.

Comment

I hate to say this, but I'm kind of glad Iger is saying no to Ratatouille attractions because well, the movie for my family was just kind of boring.

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                        I wouldn't be applauding so soon. The Disney Store I work at still has a bunch of Ratatouille merchandise. The action figures, originally something like $12.50, didn't start to sell until they were dropped to . The synergy simply isn't there.
                        Even if merchandising is successful there comes a point when you should save some of your properties for a 'rainy day'

I feel Tinkerbell is a PRIME example of this! She has been just trucking a long doing her thing in the back ground, and now that they need something to take over the rolls of the princess brand in a lot of ways, they have her available.

I think that there should be a number of properties like this.

I will admit, that a Rataouille themed cafe or restaurant in France at EPCOT would be pretty sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by OFTEric View Post
                          Ok on CNN Money Bob Iger has something to say about a Rataouille themed attraction...

Props to Iger.... At least he knows how to budget things out. If Eisner was still around, the restaurant in the french pavillion would be redone to look like the restaurant from Rataouille, being served by a big rat, then I would get to ride the Remy sewer escape, or some other crappy tie in...

At least with Iger he knows that this was one movie, and thats it. Respect for this man has increased, especially because I personally though Rataouille was the weakest of all the Pixar/Disney movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Parisi View Post
                            I personally though Rataouille was the weakest of all the Pixar/Disney movies.
                            Really? I really loved Rataouille! When I got done with the movie, I personally felt like I just got done having dinner with a really good friend, and I could not wait to do it again!

I saw the movie 4 times in the theatre! I just felt like it was such a GREAT character journey!

Anyways... why did you think it was weak?

Comment

Considering my fear of rats, this is a plus for me.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

I will admit, that a Rataouille themed cafe or restaurant in France at EPCOT would be pretty sweet!
                                This would be about the only thing I would maybe accept even though I am getting a little burned out on characters having to be attached to everything at the parks now and I have 2 children so that's saying something.
                                Last edited by EvilQueenRocks; 04-14-2008, 11:02 AM.
                                Originally posted by larasound
                                am I the burrito man?

Comment

This was a Pixar attraction I was actually looking forward too! The storyline was great, and a new coaster would have added a lot more excitement to the dwindling DHS. Why did Iger have to go and ruin it? Could him dropping the axe on Ratatouille mean no more Pixar attractions for a while?

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
                                  (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
                                  Four years of magic and still going strong.

Comment

It would fit perfectly there, and any new addition to World Showcase would be greatly appreciated.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
                                    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
                                    Four years of magic and still going strong.

Comment

Hmmm... have you all thought about what he's saying? He's saying no to a Ratatouille attraction simply because it's not a franchise?

back up one second.

Does this mean that they could ONLY make attractions based on films that have tons of sequels or films that sells a lot of merchandise?

I'm sorry, guys, but that's not exactly the reassurance I was looking for. At Disneyland we have attractions for Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Roger Rabbit, Mr. Toad.... are these franchises? Not when I checked last. They were just properties that lent themselves to good attractions. Song of the South? Not a franchise. I also didn't think Finding Nemo or Monsters Inc were franchises either.

Before you jump to conclusions, I wasn't a strong supporter for getting a Ratatouille attraction, nor was I wasn't against it. I just don't think we should all be celebrating yet from reading Iger's take on the situation. There's still a lot of BAD ideas going around and me personally would rather have seen a Ratatouille attraction before we saw yet another Toy Story attraction (a clone that doesn't quite belong, no less).

And a Ratatouille restaurant in Epcot? Sorry, it's a bad idea. It's way too classy of a pavilion for a rat infested restaurant.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I have mixed feeling about this. No where in this article does Iger say that rides don't have to be based on franchises. What he is really saying is that rides have to be based on franchises with a lot of synergy. There are other ways to make franchises other than sequels, and merchandise is one of the major ways.

Ratatouille was my favorite movie of 2007, and it is PIXAR's best, and the best animated movie of the century so far. As far as quality goes Ratatouille blows Finding Nemo out of the water IMO. I would much rather have a Ratatouille attraction than a Finding Nemo one or a second Toy Story attraction.

Being against the toon invasion that is happening at the parks, I find nothing to celebrate here. It just confirms that the main things taken into consideration when building an attraction are synergy and merchandising sells, not quality and timelessness.

Comment

Working...
                                        X