This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dining Report 4/3-4/6

We just returned from a trip to WDW April 3rd-6th plus one last day April 11th (Took a 4 day cruise in-between). We had a ton of rain which was unfortunate, didn't ruin the trip but really put a damper on things by the 4th day.

This was our first time using the dining plan and even if the dining plan is not as good a deal as it used to be it was still great for us. I loved not having to worry about how much everything was and being able to let the kids order anything they liked (I would never have my 11 year old ordering a $30 steak) and we would not be ordering dessert, so everyone loved it.

One item I though would be an issue was that kids have to order off the kid's menu (We had one on the kid's menu, 9 yr old girl). Turns out this is only for the table service, not counter service and we only had two table service meals where she had to eat off the kid's menu and she was happy with the choices.

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and had counter service lunch there twice, it was much better than the theme park choices. The pasta bar portions were huge and it was great to pick your ingredients and have the pasta made fresh.

For dinners we started with Chef Mickey's character buffet at the Contemporary resort and it was OK, we did the character lunch at The Crystal Palace last year and I think it may have been slightly better but with the kids getting older I am not sure we will include a character meal next trip.

The next evening was 50's Primetime at Disney Studio. It was the least favorite of our 5 dinners. We were seated for almost 30 minutes before we received our beverages (everyone always seems thirsty by the time we get to dinner so this was fairly painful) I think our server was overworked as she always seemed to be running behind, food was good, but nothing anyone got too excited about.

Things really started getting good by our 3rd night. We braved a huge thunderstorm to make it over to the Coral Reef at Epcot. We had exceptional service here and everyone loved their meals. We had a couple of steaks, the crab legs, and the pasta. The steaks were cooked perfect and it was nice to have the crab legs cut open (We are from Washington State so are used to cracking our own). There were several divers swimming by and waving to us while we ate, pretty brave considering the size of the sharks in the tank.

The best meal of the trip was Ohana's at the Polynesian resort. The atmosphere was great, the kids enjoyed the activities, and the food was amazing. I loved the Turkey with the dipping sauce and had to stop myself after about 30 of the shrimp. Service here was again top notch.

The final meal was at the Sci-Fi Dine In. We always make a point to eat here as it is a sentimental favorite for my wife and I and the kids love it. I had the Rueben sandwaich and cleaned up my son's ribs, both were great. Again great service.

Overall I would recommend Coral Reef and Ohana's in a heartbeat. Sci-Fi is great, more casual than the others. If you are staying at Port Orleans Riverside make sure and have a counter service meal or two at the resort, well worth it.

One other counter service note. We ate lunch one day at the Lotus Blossom at Epcot. The menu is on plasma screens that change every 10 seconds or so which makes it tough to read, as soon as you focus on the section you want, it changes. Also, only the ice cream is included as a dessert. We had ordered smoothies as a dessert (The smoothies and desserts are in the same section of the menu) and when we were told they did not count we had our drinks removed so we could order the smoothies as our drinks (We had been having milk-shakes, etc. as beverages so just assumed the smoothies would count as well) but this is also not covered. I finally got an order placed with an entree, soft drink, and ice cream. While waiting for our order to be put together I was able to mention the confusion to the manager and he was nice enough to substitute the smoothies for the ice cream for us so it all worked out in the end.
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

Re: Dining Report 4/3-4/6

I'm happy to hear about your positive experience witht the DDP. I think it's a good choice for my group as well. We're going to be at WDW June 9-18, so, needless to say we have a lot of meals planned. Hopefully our trip to 50's Primetime will be a little better than yours. Either way, it's a new experience. There are certain meals we do on every visit (Liberty Tree, Crystal Palace, Garden Grill) and then we try to work in some new meals as well. We went to Coral Reef a few years ago and will be going this year again. It will be a great revisit for my friend Briana and I and a new visit for my sister.

As far as out growing character meals....well, I'm 32, Briana is 26, and my sister is 37, so it hasn't happened to us yet. Of course, we're rockin' that whole second childhood thing.

Comment

Working...
    X