This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlwaysImagineer
    started a topic Doing anything "Cars" related at WDW?

Doing anything "Cars" related at WDW?

I know theyre making "CarsLand" at DL and I know theyre making the "Cars 2" movie... But are they doing anything with Cars in WDW? I was thinking, maybe they could turn TestTrack into a Cars themed version? I know they are going to do something like that in DL for "CarsLand", but I think they could make a really good attraction at WDW. What do you think?

• MJMcB
    replied
    Re: Doing anything "Cars" related at WDW?

Originally posted by tasman View Post
    ^^ Of course there are differences, but one reason Horizons saw so little visitor traffic by the time it closed was that Future World had three somewhat similar omnimover rides (those two above mentioned, plus World of Motion)...and I don't think COP would be sufficiently different to stimulate interest (SSE will always be the most popular, if for no reason other than its location). For me, Future World has always been more about "discovery" than about the "future" (which is fine by me) and the two indispensible original rides are / were SSE and Journey Into Imagaination (hopefully they have the good sense to bring back the latter).

I believe the World of Motion had closed before Horizons

Leave a comment:

• tasman
    replied

^^ Of course there are differences, but one reason Horizons saw so little visitor traffic by the time it closed was that Future World had three somewhat similar omnimover rides (those two above mentioned, plus World of Motion)...and I don't think COP would be sufficiently different to stimulate interest (SSE will always be the most popular, if for no reason other than its location). For me, Future World has always been more about "discovery" than about the "future" (which is fine by me) and the two indispensible original rides are / were SSE and Journey Into Imagaination (hopefully they have the good sense to bring back the latter).

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

Originally posted by tasman View Post
    I think COP overlaps too much with SSE to be meaningful in Future World...and the latter is better anyway IMO. As long as they some day restore SSE's ending to the way it used to be, it's enough for me as far rides looking at past achievements and future aspirations. Horizons was nice but also somewhat similarly redundant.
    I have to disagree a bit on the Horizons comment, Horizons was a look to the future not the past, "if we can dream it we can do it!" theme through showing what we might accomplish etc. I guess to modernize it a but it would be "keep looking forward" but I think Epcot is missing that we can do it, and the future looks bright attitude that the ride just exuded in large quantities.

SSE was mostly based in the past but it lacks the hook to draw you in the way CoP does, there's no emotional attachment to the scenes, no developed characters to relate to etc. I love SSE, have not seen the new ending yet as it was closed last November, but for some reason I really like CoP more....

Leave a comment:

• tasman
    replied

Originally posted by Monkey joe View Post
    They could always move it to Epoct in Future World, home of the COP's sequel, horzions.
    I think COP overlaps too much with SSE to be meaningful in Future World...and the latter is better anyway IMO. As long as they some day restore SSE's ending to the way it used to be, it's enough for me as far rides looking at past achievements and future aspirations. Horizons was nice but also somewhat similarly redundant.

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

Originally posted by Monkey joe View Post
    They could always move it to Epoct in Future World, home of the COP's sequel, horzions.
    That would work for me too, but I rather have them leave CoP there, put Horizons back in perhaps in the wonders of life pavilion, emptying out into an area that could host body wars and other "futuristic" mini attractions... dare to dream....

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
    I don't mind they re-do of Tomorrowland to sort of look like a Jules Verne-ish future
    I like that idea, first step, rip out MIL, and the there's pooh in the pool tot lot and put the timekeeper and nemo subs back in place....

I like the original Imagineering designs for DLP that had that theme, but lack of water in the middle of Tomorrowland kinda kills that design. Problem is the WED WAY Peoplemover and all wouldn't really fit that theme without a lot of re-work, not sure they would spend that amount of cash on a Tomorrowland re-work when the current one is only what 10 years old or so?

Leave a comment:

• Monkey joe
    replied

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
    Yes but historical in 2 respects.
    1. It was an original attraction in the worlds fair that Walt helped design and used to fund the original Disneyland Park.
    2. The history it teaches, in an entertaining way, about how far we have advanced technologically in the past century. Most of the things we take for granted are relatively new in the grand scheme of things.
    If anything I think it should be placed in the Smithsonian American History museum it is a bit out of place in Tomorrowland, might be more appropriate off a side street of main street USA but it is one of the best of the classic AA attractions left in the park IMHO and I would hate for them to put another lame attraction in its place like MILF...

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

I would say most Disneyphiles though love the CoP even if its just for historical value
    Yes but historical in 2 respects.
    1. It was an original attraction in the worlds fair that Walt helped design and used to fund the original Disneyland Park.
    2. The history it teaches, in an entertaining way, about how far we have advanced technologically in the past century. Most of the things we take for granted are relatively new in the grand scheme of things.
    If anything I think it should be placed in the Smithsonian American History museum it is a bit out of place in Tomorrowland, might be more appropriate off a side street of main street USA but it is one of the best of the classic AA attractions left in the park IMHO and I would hate for them to put another lame attraction in its place like MILF...

Leave a comment:

• MJMcB
    replied

I don't mind they re-do of Tomorrowland to sort of look like a Jules Verne-ish future

Leave a comment:

• tasman
    replied

Like I said, I'm in the minority especially with Disneyphiles
    I'm with you on this one. Actually I'm not a fan of the Tomorrowland concept itself (especially with a whole Future World at Epcot, it seems redundant)...I would rather have a Sci-fi Land with a nice E-ticket on the site of COP (I would send COP back to Disneyland...I think it's more fitting to have it there anyway).

I'm sure there will be something Cars related at WDW since Disney / Pixar has decided this is going to be one of their next big franchises. Indy Speedway or Test Track seem the most likely candidates for a makeover. I would love to see an east coast version of Radiator Springs Racers but that isn't very likely.

Leave a comment:

• MJMcB
    replied

Originally posted by WDWImagineer View Post
    Naaah. I'm just a big caroseul fan.
    I would say most Disneyphiles though love the CoP even if its just for historical value

Leave a comment:

• WDWImagineer
    replied

Naaah. I'm just a big caroseul fan.

Leave a comment:

• MJMcB
    replied

Originally posted by WDWImagineer View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THE CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES. IT"S ONE OF THE LONGEST LASTING PIECES OF WALT'S LEGACY IN THE PARKS.

Leave a comment:

• kcnole
    replied

I actually would love to see them retheme the speedway to cars, however they'd have to pull that attraction either into toontown or fantasyland to make it work. I don't want it to still be considered part of tomorrowland if they do.

Leave a comment:

• WDWImagineer
    replied

You could love it, most people disagree with me about this stuff anyway. For example, they could get rid of the Carousel of Progress and I would be fine, and I don't miss Mr Toad's at all
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THE CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES. IT"S ONE OF THE LONGEST LASTING PIECES OF WALT'S LEGACY IN THE PARKS.

Leave a comment:

• AlwaysImagineer
    replied

Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    The Autopia in Disneyland is the classic that Walt helped design. The Tomorrowland Indy Speedway is a cheaper and smaller version of Autopia.

I heard that Space Mountain will be rethemed to Cars after the refurbishment.
    Sorry, I kinda got them confused. But I dont think they would refurbish SM as a Cars ride! That just wouldnt fit. Especially since its SPACE Mountain. Now BTM I might could see a little bit of a Cars theme in. Like if they made Mater the announcer guy and made it all Mater themed. But still, I dont think they should refurbish any thing. Just maybe build something new.

Leave a comment:

• MJMcB
    replied

Originally posted by halltd View Post
    ^ That's interesting you don't find the Nemo overlay to The Living Seas intrusive. I find it quite the opposite. To me, it's all "in your face" Nemo and has really dumbed down the attraction. I miss the hydrolators, the whole movie about the creation of the seas where they used the word deluge far too many times, and just the whole educational aspect of the pavilion. Even as a kid I loved this pavilion the most. Now it's my least favorite. I skip the whole intro "ride" and just enter through the exit instead. In my opinion, they gave the monstrous aquarium a back seat to animated characters which is a shame.

I really dig the Crush thing, but mainly for the technology behind it. I also enjoy watching the fish, sea cows and divers when they're in the tank. Other than that, I feel they put in way too much Nemo (and I LOVE the movie).

Sorry for the off-topic "rant".
    I am with you completely. As a zoo afficinado, I used to love the Living Seas and considered it the best attraction in Future World. But they did slug you in the face with Nemo. My biggest disappointment with the re-do was the numerous Seas exhibits they used to have around the aquarium. Now we have a giant Bruce

Leave a comment:

• AlwaysImagineer
    replied

You could love it, most people disagree with me about this stuff anyway. For example, they could get rid of the Carousel of Progress and I would be fine, and I don't miss Mr Toad's at all
    I love that show! I dont know why. Ive done it over a thousand times and I just never get tired of it.

Leave a comment:

• Grizzly
    replied

Originally posted by AlwaysImagineer View Post
    Oh, Well, Thats a classic ride! Walt Disney helped design it!
    No, I don't think he did. He died long before that and MK were designed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X