This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruminations on a Springtime Visit

Well, it's been almost a month since my last visit to the World. I'm right in the middle of my busy season, and just haven't had the time to post about it. So here, better late than never, are my thoughts (not really a trip report!).

My visit was from April 4th through the 9th, during what I thought was going to be a quiet week. Not at all - the parks were pretty much slammed. Not quite as bad as top prime season, but still more than I'm used to seeing. But being an experienced park stormer, I was able to cope (hit the parks at opening, leave around noon-ish for my hotel, back again late afternoon, judicious use of Fastpass, etc.). The only regular attractions I didn't get to were Pirates and the Jungle Cruise, as the lines were over 30 minutes long (I'll get 'em next time).

Speaking of the MK, this was my 2nd time on the Laugh Floor, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Perhaps it's a factor of who's on duty, but there were some funny guys running the live interactive characters. And the crowd was very into it all. Still, I don't think this show has a place in Tomorrowland. And I still miss the Transportarium and the Timekeeper, one of my favorite attractions.

On the dining front, while I ate well I wasn't as impressed with the food as I've been in the past. I did want to try Tutto Italia, as it would probably be my only chance to dine there before they changed formats again. I had a tasty meal of pasta e fagioli soup (rice-sized pasta with beans) and a veal tortelloni, but it wasn't earth shattering. Great service, though, and a great window seat to watch the folks scurrying around through the downpour outside.

Digression about the weather - I've been visiting around twice a year for the past 15 years or so, and have always lucked out with the weather. This trip was payback time - it rained 4 out of the 5 days there. And not just the little thunderboomers that last 20 minutes - it was just flat POURING for hours at a time! It's really hard to have a good time watching IllumiNations in Epcot during a torrential downpour! The only night it didn't rain was my last night there, and I was really looking forward to that night's IllumiNations. Imagine my disappointment when the show started but the flame barge, arguably the centerpiece of the first movement of the show, wasn't working. Bad show, Disney!

Back to the food - I had a pretty tasty reuben sandwich at the Sci-Fi Dine In, an OK lemon chicken at Marrakesh, and a perfectly done steak at the Brown Derby. But by far the hit of the week was my meal at 'Ohana. I've eaten here several times in the past, and always enjoyed it to varying degrees. But they've changed up their format a bit, and all to the better. They first bring some coconut/pineapple flavored bread, which you could make a meal out of. Next is a delicious light salad with a raspberry vinagrette dressing. Then it's bbq chicken wings and pot stickers (keep in mind that I was a single diner, and there was LOTS of food coming out - I was starting to fill up by the end of this course). After this came a plate of peanut flavored noodles and a bowl of snap peas and brocolli. All of this came out in maybe 10 minute intervals - I was in no way rushed, but I was pretty close to stuffed before the main event arrived. Finally, the skewers of meat - chicken and turkey first, then beef, and finally huge grilled shrimp, accompanied by a trio of dipping sauces. And to top it all off, since I learned about this right here on MP, I requested that they replace the bread pudding dessert with the former incredible dessert of pineapple with caramel dipping sauce! They don't bring the pineapple out in its former preparation on a pineapple shell - it's now in a small bowl. But it's still amazingly tasty, and a wonderful finish to a heavy meal! I was planning to go into the MK for SpectroMagic and Wishes after this meal, but I was just so freakin' stuffed that it was all I could do to roll my heavy self back to my hotel. Wonderful meal - just don't plan anything afterwards!

I got to ride and see most of what I wanted to ride and see, including 3 rides in a row on Expedition Everest, my current fave. I also experienced the new Spaceship Earth a couple times. I have to say that I didn't think the ending was all that terrible, but the computer screen thing seemed more suited to a kiosk somewhere in the post show, not the ending of a ride. It was kinda fun, but I'm not really riding a ride to play a computer game. I think they could have done better with this, but their update of the first half of the ride was first-rate.

As always, I was just getting into the groove of things when it was time to leave. I always hate that drive back to MCO, but it's always tempered by the fact that I'll be back soon. Next trip is in mid-October, during the Food & Wine Festival. Good times!

Re: Ruminations on a Springtime Visit

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
    Speaking of the MK, this was my 2nd time on the Laugh Floor, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Perhaps it's a factor of who's on duty, but there were some funny guys running the live interactive characters. And the crowd was very into it all. Still, I don't think this show has a place in Tomorrowland. And I still miss the Transportarium and the Timekeeper, one of my favorite attractions.

I think it has some legs too. I have seen it 5 or 6 times now and this time there was a new segment in there. So it seems that they are changing it up, which is a good thing.

But by far the hit of the week was my meal at 'Ohana. I've eaten here several times in the past, and always enjoyed it to varying degrees. But they've changed up their format a bit, and all to the better. They first bring some coconut/pineapple flavored bread, which you could make a meal out of. Next is a delicious light salad with a raspberry vinagrette dressing. Then it's bbq chicken wings and pot stickers (keep in mind that I was a single diner, and there was LOTS of food coming out - I was starting to fill up by the end of this course). After this came a plate of peanut flavored noodles and a bowl of snap peas and brocolli. All of this came out in maybe 10 minute intervals - I was in no way rushed, but I was pretty close to stuffed before the main event arrived. Finally, the skewers of meat - chicken and turkey first, then beef, and finally huge grilled shrimp, accompanied by a trio of dipping sauces.
    Thats why I don't eat at family style places by myself But I agree, salad was very good, brocolli was as well (cooked correctly, not a bowl of mush). My only minor squabble - why shell on shrimp? Yes it's cheaper, and yes the shells impart a flavor, but shelling them is a mess.

[quote]And to top it all off, since I learned about this right here on MP, I requested that they replace the bread pudding dessert with the former incredible dessert of pineapple with caramel dipping sauce! They don't bring the pineapple out in its former preparation on a pineapple shell - it's now in a small bowl. But it's still amazingly tasty, and a wonderful finish to a heavy meal! [/quote}

Bread pudding with vanilla ice cream and bananas fosters sauce was a pretty good ending as well

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Phonedave View Post
      My only minor squabble - why shell on shrimp? Yes it's cheaper, and yes the shells impart a flavor, but shelling them is a mess.
      I agree with you on this one, Dave. I'd rather have some big ol' shell-off prawns any day!

Bread pudding with vanilla ice cream and bananas fosters sauce was a pretty good ending as well
      I did have this one time, and yes, it was tasty. But it's still nothing like that pineapple. I think it's because it's just so light, and after a freakin' heavy meal you NEED something light to top it off with!

Comment

Hate to be greedy but can we have both?
        Last edited by Jerren; 04-28-2008, 07:06 AM.
        Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
          Hate to be greedy but can we have both?
          Never hurts to ask!

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
            Never hurts to ask!
            Well if you indulge too much it may hurt a bit when you button up that top button on the jeans the next day... But oh its sooo good when your eating it!
            Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X