This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EPCOT problem...

I just returned from my first trip to WDW in several years. While I have always loved EPCOT, and still do, I could'nt help but come to the realization of what the "EPCOT Problem" is. My, how times have changed. When EPCOT was designed in the 1970s, there was no internet, MTV, etc., and the park was designed based upon what that generation thought the future would be. In 1982, it worked. Those big, boxy Futureworld pavillions, made sense. Those long, slow moving, dark rides were the best way present to the public what we thought the future would be. Heck, one of my all time favorite rides was and is, Horizons. But, in 2008, times have changed, and the future isn't what it used to be.

I completely understand the Disney company's reasoning for replacing Horizons with Mission:Space, and the World of Motion with Test Track. I ask you to ride Mission:Space or Test Track and then take a sominex-like trip through the Universe of Energy. There is no doubt that 25 years of advances in technology become apparent. In fact, compared to their more state-of-the-art counterparts, Imagination, the Land, and the Seas pavillions come up way, way short.

So, how do you solve a problem like EPCOT? I have my ideas, and I am sure you all do as well. What do you think? I am curious what your thoughts and ideas for fixing EPCOT are.

Re: The EPCOT problem...

I know its old but I like the Universe of Energy. My sons love it for some reason. I wish they would get Ellen to redo it as I think shes so funny. I am not really sure how you solve the issues. I wonder how much longer Imagination and Figment will even be there.
    Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by Iluvdisney View Post
      I know its old but I like the Universe of Energy. My sons love it for some reason. I wish they would get Ellen to redo it as I think shes so funny. I am not really sure how you solve the issues. I wonder how much longer Imagination and Figment will even be there.
      Exactally what I was going to say!

But dude, theyre not going to change it! This was Walt's Vision for the future. And, hint hint, WALT Disney World!
      Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysImagineer View Post
        Exactally what I was going to say!

But dude, theyre not going to change it! This was Walt's Vision for the future. And, hint hint, WALT Disney World!
        Actually it isn't. EPCOT the theme park has nearly nothing to do with Walt's idea for a model city of the future.
        My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Comment

While there ARE huge advances since 'Energy' and rides like 'Mission:Space' and 'Test Track', Energy is still a pretty informative attraction. It's incredibly long, yes, but when I first went on it, I was pretty fascinated.

If you want a more advanced dino ride, Animal Kingdom is a park hop away. I do see your point though about the EPCOT problem. "FUTURE WORLD', faces the same issues and problems that 'TOMORROWLAND' does and because both of them exist in the same resort, one of them will come out short.

I personally think there's a bigger MAGIC KINGDOM problem than there is an EPCOT problem, but that's too wide of a tangent to take so early in this thread. I'm curious to read your ideas, Discovery Man on how to improve Epcot.

p.s. Welcome to MiceChat! I hope you like it here.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
            If you want a more advanced dino ride, Animal Kingdom is a park hop away. I do see your point though about the EPCOT problem. "FUTURE WORLD', faces the same issues and problems that 'TOMORROWLAND' does and because both of them exist in the same resort, one of them will come out short.
            I disagree with this. While Tomorrowland was always focused on more of a sci-fi vision of the future (or now, a retro-future vision), Future World was supposed to be a more realistic vision of the future IMO. There is some overlap, of course, with Mission to Mars vs. some aspects of Future World and If you had wings vs. World of Motion, but overall both could co-exist well if their original goals were maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisFL View Post
              I disagree with this. While Tomorrowland was always focused on more of a sci-fi vision of the future (or now, a retro-future vision), Future World was supposed to be a more realistic vision of the future IMO. There is some overlap, of course, with Mission to Mars vs. some aspects of Future World and If you had wings vs. World of Motion, but overall both could co-exist well if their original goals were maintained.

You really think Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, and Monsters, Inc. is an original goal of Tomorrowland?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

You really think Stitch, Buzz Lightyear, and Monsters, Inc. is an original goal of Tomorrowland?
                Yes. lol It fits the sci-fi/fantasy theme.
                Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

Universe of Energy was a snoozefest even for me back in the 80's. I mean come on... a 45 minute ride? Horizons and World of Motion weren't even half as long as that and were just better overall. I miss them both terribly.

Comment

That's why I said "IF"

Comment

Originally posted by Iluvdisney View Post
                      I wish they would get Ellen to redo it as I think shes so funny.
                      Now I like your thinking, Ellen's Energy Adventure is one of my favourite attractions, I love Ellen's sense of hurmor. At the moment I don't see the need to completely redo the attraction as it still pulls a good number of guests. What I think could be nice in the future would be to maybe slightly update the videos and bring them into this millenium using Ellen again.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                        Universe of Energy was a snoozefest even for me back in the 80's. I mean come on... a 45 minute ride? Horizons and World of Motion weren't even half as long as that and were just better overall. I miss them both terribly.

Yes but I really loved the dynamic rotating blocks that made up the screen in the original version...

I love Mission Space, and TestTrack is ok, but Horizons, The original Imagination ride and Universe of motion where really amazing in their detail and I think more entertaining to me. What's really missing and has not been re-crafted is the whole "future is bright" via the "if we can dream it, we can do it" theme of horizons. I really don't see anything to inspire future generations reach for greatness in Futureworld anymore.

If there's a crisis I think its one of dumbing things down by brining in thrill rides and abandoning the message of the original pavilions.
                        Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

I sort of like the ENergy ride, but it sure could use a DRASTIC upgrade to the audio and video equipment. For example, plasmas in teh pre-show area or at the very least, a modern level of resultion and clarity using an off-the shelf video projector.

Another suggestion is to cover the renewable energy subject in a bit more breadth, covering cellulosic ethanol, as one example. Again, big video upgrades in the main show areas wuld be welcome.

Finally, rather than dumbing down the message as other pavilions do, why not just take it UP half a notch and present a few though-provoking questions, rather than answers? For example, does a single driver really NEED an 8-passenger, 7500 GVWR SUV with a 6.2 liter engine to shuttle the kids sometimes, at 14 MPG all the time? And maybe touch on why you answered as you did to that question, how other countries deal with the personal transporation issue, etc. Waht about the role of Mass Transit in cities?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                            Yes but I really loved the dynamic rotating blocks that made up the screen in the original version...
                            Absolutely!! One of the best uses of creative projection technology that I've ever seen!

I guess I have to respectfully disagree with the original proposal - that there's something wrong with Futureworld. I also loved Horizons, but I can see the need for change. Soarin' is now in the Land pavilion, making it by far the most popular pavilion in FW. The biggest blight on the landscape is the current version of Imagination, and there are plenty of rumors floating around that it may soon get yet another facelift. Here's hoping.

Comment

I think EPCOT definitely need to adapt to new technology much more quickly. I love Imagination but the update they did was really not all that impressive. The park could definitely be much more interactive. Also I miss the old video reservation booths.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X