X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Much Do You Plan Ahead for WDW?

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
    I would love to be able to do that. But its hard when your house is in Jersey

lol or in texas....
    Any day at Disneyland is a Happy Day!!!! :ap:

Comment

Originally posted by mamabot View Post
      I am getting so excited about my WDW trip at the end of next month! I have done a lot of research this time around. My husband tends to ask a lot of questions about things when we travel, so I figured I would find out everything I could ahead of time.

I have all of our days roughly scheduled, depending on Extra Magic Hours at the parks. We have a day set aside for resort hopping, and each day I have planned rest time. All our ADRs are booked.

How much do you plan when you go to WDW? Do you have a set itinerary that shows which rides to go on each day? Do you take the more laid back approach of going to whichever park you feel like visiting when you wake up? Or do you fall somewhere in between?

What about planning resources? Do you subscribe to the park guides or websites that are more geared toward WDW? Are you the type to have a library of WDW books to help guide your planning?
      For anything that requires reservations you want to make those as far in advance as you can to be assured you get the things you really want to do. For dining, they start booking 180 days prior tol your arrival date. This is the one thing you want to do ahead of time or you may not get into the restaurants you want. If you are booking any tours, do those also well in advance.

As to the parks, I don't usually plan them too much. If I get to MK and it is jam packed I will just hope over to another park and then go back later. That is the joy of park hopping. Just be sure to be in the park or near the resort you have your dining in so you don't go nuts trying to get somewhere in a hurry. It's your vacation.....relax and enjoy...It looks like you have the important stuff taken care of.
      Lindsy - former Res Center CM (10 years)
      www.magicaltravel.com Sponsors of the Disney Cruise Line Forum:thumbup:

Look for this logo when booking Disney.
      [email protected]
      Favorite Sites for latest news:
      WDWNewToday.com
      WaltDisneyBoards.com
      DisneyReporter.net.ms

Comment

wow, you all know I am asking lots of questions. searching now all I can. making dining reservations and learning to "stay clear of parks with EMH !
        I am still trying to figure out the openings and closings of each park. the WDW site has not posted them yet. but here is my itinerary's
        2 days MK, 1 animal kingdom 1 Hollywood studio's and 1 epcot. and 1 day resort hopping and DTD 1 pool day!

I am reading, learning and writing things down in a small notebook.

Comment

Just for the record. I got home around 11PM last night and am now planning my next trip
          www.jamboeveryone.com
          Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

Just for the record. I got home around 11PM last night and am now planning my next trip
            This has happened to me also.

Although at the moment, I wish that I knew when I was returning to WDW.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
              I never plan ahead to WDW. Sometimes, I just go out of the house to go to Target or something and then it hits me.. "oh, nice day to drive over to WDW and take a quick walk at ____".
              I used to do that when I had an AP. I'd get bored on a Saturday afternoon a lot back then (the then-BF usually worked double shift on Saturdays) and on a whim I'd hop in the car and drive to Orlando. Sometimes I wouldn't even go to the parks. I'd just go to Downtown Disney, grab a bite to eat and just sit and watch the tourists.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                This has happened to me also.

Although at the moment, I wish that I knew when I was returning to WDW.
                You will. We all do at some point.
                www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

as far in advance as possible. The longest I had was for our trip in Sept 06. I started planning during Easter. For our trip last May, I counted down to the exact day when I could make reservations for everything....and even that wasn't good enough. We planned our trip around when we could get into Cinderella's lunch.

Comment

Just as soon as the trip we are on comes to an end, the plans for our next trip begin. We drive down from the NE and to keep us from getting totally depressed about leaving, we will start making plans on the car (minivan actually) ride home.

Of course some planning for the next trip is also done while we are at WDW in the way of "let's plan to do this, that or the other thing next time"

Comment

My sweetie forces me to make a spreadsheet of the costs and stuff so he can see that. He didn't believe me when I told him I was making dining reservations in April for September! He was shocked. But I had everything ready to go and paid for when we got there so that was nice.

I tried last year to make some sort of list of things to do, but when we got into the park I was so A.D.D. (cause it had been so long since I'd been there) that I gave up on it and we just wandered around and did whatever we happened upon.
                      With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Comment

I started planning our last trip a full year in advance, as soon as I got the approval from my wife on the dates she wanted to go.

I told her I would plan:

Every detail involved in the actual travel to and from WDW (travel to and from airport, flights, etc)
                        Every detail involved in the lodging (which resort, room view, length of stay, etc)
                        Every detail involved in food (dining plan, where we would eat table service meals and when, rough estimate of where and when to eat counter service, and winging it on snacks)
                        Every detail involved in attending the parks (tickets, ticket options, park transportation, which park on which day, etc)

So I hopped on the disney site and customized a vacation package. (Ok, customized a million of em, until I found the one I thought would be best. Yeah, I know, cheating, and not cheap, but hey, I didn't have a worry in the world. Everything was taken care of and paid for in advance, with the exception of gifts and keepsake type spending. The only thing I carried around the park was my DL and my room key. (which had a CC tied to it).

But I also told her that once we were in the parks, I was winging it.
                        That we would pick a direction and go. We started on morning EMH, and if it got too busy, we would hop some place else, as long as we ended up in the park where dinner was scheduled.

It worked out pretty good IMO.
                        We rode everything we wanted, multiple times. If it was packed when we got there, we returned when that park had morning EMH and rode it first thing that day. We had some attractions that were 2 hour waits when we got there, so we skipped it and the next day at EMH it was walk on, so we rode it over and over.

Comment

Looks like we're going in january. yeah. I'm back at week and its time to get back to work
                          www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

We have decided to go to WDW next Spring vacation. That's 3 of us in April next year. I love the planning part. We are going to do things differently this time. Probably a value resort, less ADR's, and no parkhoppers. I am sure our vacation will still be fantastic. We have never had a bad time.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

We have decided to go to WDW next Spring vacation. That's 3 of us in April next year. I love the planning part. We are going to do things differently this time. Probably a value resort, less ADR's, and no parkhoppers. I am sure our vacation will still be fantastic. We have never had a bad time.
                              I am so excited for you!!!

Comment

Because there are no dates up for the parks as of yet for November ( yep my 180 days passed a long time ago) I am not sure of where to eat, what park to play in or nothing. its made me infuriated. I thought they were suposed to have the dates up 6 months in advance. not this time I did make reservations, but I am not happy about it since again I want to go as late for dinner as possible. disney please post your dated !!!:bang:

Comment

why no parkhoppers?
                                  www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

why no parkhoppers?
                                    I have done parkhoppers in the past. I have done a lot of ADR's. I have done the nicer hotels. This trip is going to be lower key, and lower cost. So one park a day is fine with us, for 3 people that saves me about $135.00 That can buy a lot of food. I also usually book a room only reservation and ask for the AAA discount, so that saves me a little money. I have been to Disney World 6 times before, so I try to make each vacation, a different one from the last. I figure I am probably going to spend more on airfare also.
                                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

why no parkhoppers?
                                      Im not sure I really needed them either though the travel agent added them to my ticket. I do not want to go out of the park, take the monorail down to the station, board a bus and go some where else. what a pain in the butt.
                                      I will be doing one park a day and staying there until I am done.

Comment

Karla, if you don't want to pay the parkhopper feature then call your travel agent back and take that feature off. It is an additional $45 on each ticket, I believe that is what I read yesterday.
                                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
                                          Im not sure I really needed them either though the travel agent added them to my ticket. I do not want to go out of the park, take the monorail down to the station, board a bus and go some where else. what a pain in the butt.
                                          I will be doing one park a day and staying there until I am done.
                                          The afternoon break is really key to me. And I love being able to go to a different park later.

For example, I made ADRs at say Chefs de France for dinner. But when I get to WDW I find out that morning there is a early EMH for MK. I can use that split at noon. Swim or nap until 3. Then hit Epcot for a few hours before din din

I love the flexibility
                                          www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X