This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Key West Resort?

Went to book a room for a weekend in May and found an AP rate for Old Key West, just $5 more per night than the POFQ and it's for a studio.

Since this will be a first stay for us at this resort, I was wondering if any other Micechatters have stayed there and what your experience was like?

Also, any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Old Key West Resort?

I absolutely LOVE OKW.

I've only stayed once but it is very nice, with a real isolated feel. I love all the resort hotels but at many you are aware out the rest of WDW, at OKW you really feel like you are in a whole new world.

Now it is somewhat spread out, so if you have kids or something that could be an issue but overall I'd say it's a great place to stay.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Comment

http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/02/21...west/#comments

Thats my review for Mouse Extra

I liked it, its peaceful and quiet. You are removed from things for sure, and the food is limited at that resort
      www.jamboeveryone.com
      Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

OKW is wonderful for sure, but if you're planning to use the bus system, it can take awhile getting round compared to POFQ. I think the rooms are a bit bigger at OKW also, no?
        I want my cake back!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seenoevil View Post
          OKW is wonderful for sure, but if you're planning to use the bus system, it can take awhile getting round compared to POFQ.
          Its not the best, but its far from the worst
          www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

I've never stayed there, Summer, but would love to hear your comments when you get back. We love POFQ just like you, but we find it fun to stay at other resorts when we can, if the price is right. We still stop by POFQ for the beignetts and the gumbo!

Hope you have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by seenoevil View Post
              OKW is wonderful for sure, but if you're planning to use the bus system, it can take awhile getting round compared to POFQ. I think the rooms are a bit bigger at OKW also, no?
              Yes, the rooms are a bit bigger than the other DVC resorts. It almost seems like they built that one first and then realized they could save space by making them a bit smaller without really sacrificing any comfort, maybe to get a few extra units added to each building. And the resort does take a bit to get around. There is a golf course running through the middle so to get to the main buildings, pools, lobby, etc. you have to go all the way around the perimeter of the resort and depending on where you are it can be quite a trek.
              Originally posted by larasound
              am I the burrito man?

Comment

Originally posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
                Yes, the rooms are a bit bigger than the other DVC resorts. It almost seems like they built that one first and then realized they could save space by making them a bit smaller without really sacrificing any comfort, maybe to get a few extra units added to each building.
                Thats probably exactly what happened
                www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

Summer we were just there in Feb. We like OKW for the room size and that you can park in front of the building as oppose to parking in the lot and hiking back to your room. You will have a small frig, a sink, coffee maker, toaster and microwave to make a quick breakfast in the morning or a evening snack or bring your own soda or water. The bus service was kind of hit or miss but over all the longest wait was 20 mins. We were in the Turtle Bay and were a little ways from the main pool but we love OKW our home resort is WLV but this has been our third trip back to OKW and we love it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WFoxx View Post
                    Summer we were just there in Feb. We like OKW for the room size and that you can park in front of the building as oppose to parking in the lot and hiking back to your room. You will have a small frig, a sink, coffee maker, toaster and microwave to make a quick breakfast in the morning or a evening snack or bring your own soda or water. The bus service was kind of hit or miss but over all the longest wait was 20 mins. We were in the Turtle Bay and were a little ways from the main pool but we love OKW our home resort is WLV but this has been our third trip back to OKW and we love it.
                    Excellent! We have th car so getting around won't be that horrible. It sounds like the majority of the people I speak to, enjoy the resort overall for various reasons.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Comment

OKW Resort User Reviews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=GxRii4NzFUI

Pootle
                      May 2007
                      I am also a DVC owner here and absolutely love the place - it's Florida feel, lush landscaping, large units and parking right outside of your door (which you cannot see from your balcony).

The views are either golf course, water or woodsy type. The ground floor units often have lots of vegetation around, which gives the resort its attractive look, but can result in less daylight entering the rooms. The interior decor is pastel and light.

The studios are always on the ends of the buildings and have the a/c units nearby, so at times can mean sitting out on the (small) balcony is noisy. However, the balconies of the larger units are huge and, depending upon the location, great places to hang out.

The dining places of Crossroads are just a short drive away and of course, Disney transportation means you have access to all the other Disney resorts and parks - just allow plenty of time.

A great place and a total change from the theme parks. We often go there and don't bother with the parks at all; just a good place for a rest and to recharge.

ianconway
                      May 2007I totally agree with Pootle, we are also DVC members and found this resort fantasic. Great views across the golf course from your balcony, huge spacious rooms. Very laid back atmosphere. We stayed in a two bedroom villa which was great. One negative point, but only a minor detail, the resort is huge and there could be a long trek to the main themed pool, which is quite small by disney standards. We divided our holiday between Old Key west and Beach Club, in my view Old key West was the better accomodation, but beach club had the nicer pool.

Ray&Pat
                      January 2006We are DVC members (since 1993) and Old Key West is our home.We have visited regularly and never been dissappointed by the accomodation or service. The rooms are spacious, very comfortable and always clean ,and well supplied with the little extras that make that final magic - this year we had face flannels made into an elephant(now in our bathroom here!!). We enjoy the very relaxed quiet tone of the place - the men like to take fishing rods and catch catfish etc (they are always put back). Over the years we have visited the other resorts as they have been built and have always thought that the newer Resorts have smaller rooms and seem to have less relaxing outside space. OKW is our favourite and its always good to go "home".
                      Pat.

salmim
                      August 2005Beautiful Resort Hotel on Disney with a laid back Key West theme and an oasis minutes away from the Disney Theme Parks. The rooms are either studio, one or two bedroom villas or the huge Grand Villas that sleep 12. The rooms are extremely spacious and the villas have excellent kitchen facilities. The grounds are fantastic with the Lake Beauna Vista Golf Course meandering around the apartments, there are 4 pools with the main pool close to the Hospitality House which has a Disney Store, Bar, Olivias Restraunt, Gym and Kids Room. Have stayed at other Disney Hotels, but have always returned to OKW, August 06 will be our 6th stay, highly reccommended.

liamaxina
                      December 2004I am a Disney Vacation Club Member and my home resort is Disney's Boardwalk, which is a great place to stay. However, we prefer Disney's Old Key West as it is so peaceful and laid back. The Vacation Club states that all their accommodation is supposed to be a 'home from home' and Old Key West really does feel like that. Whenever we arrive at OKW we really do feel like we have come home. It is a short drive - or Disney bus ride - from Downtown Disney and the parks are not too far away either. The accommodation and grounds are beautiful and if you are lucky enought to stay in a villa you will have your very own en suite jacuzzi. The only downside is that there is only one restaurant but I can live with that. I would recommend OKW to anyone and can't wait for my next visit. We fly out 25th November 2006 for 3 glorious weeks!

Last edited by KinnT; 03-14-2008, 09:38 AM.
                      Kinn Tutas
                      Lic. Real Estate Broker
                      Garden Views Realty, Inc.
                      www.ResalesDVC.com - Disney Vacation Club Resales with the Tutas Family!

Comment

Just checked out from there yesterday!

It was nice, quiet, very comfortable. The scenery is nice, and theres a nice water way running through. As someone mentioned above, there is a golf course running through it so it is a bit of a pain getting around it. Plus the buses seemed to take ages to come to take you there from the parks. I think the biggest drawback is the lack of a place to grab a quick bite to eat before heading off to the parks in the morning. You're forced to choose between Olivia's (good, but pricey and takes a while) and a little food shack with crappy brownies.

But I don't want to knock it, it was a fantastic place to stay. The room was nice and big, had a nice view, everyone was really friendly. I don't get to stay in resorts much, so it was a real treat.

Comment

I appreciate the reviews as they come in everyone. It helps me feel better about staying there in May.

Comment

Hands down we love this resort! We have stayed at OKW 2 times now and have never been disappointed. The resort has a very laid back feel for starters. The main pool and slide is a huge treat for the kids and we all love Olivia's for a good "home cooked meal". The rooms are huge at OKW (among the largest among Disney resorts) and you can even find full kitchens starting with a one bedroom suite. We love that we can park at our door, bus stops and private pools are plentiful, as well as plenty of ponds, and lovely views to look at. We have never had a bad experience here in our stays. I sometimes want to go somewhere new but struggle with booking another resort as our family loves this one so much! We also love to rent a boat and take it to DD--a great ride!!!!

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about OKW and I have not hesitated to tell my friends and family about it. I wish I could live there!
                            Offsite 6/99 ASMo 5/00 POR 11/00 Offsite 5/01 Universal 9/01 ASMo 2/02 ASMo 11/02 CBR 3/03 ASMo 11/03 POP 3/04 CS & POFQ 11/04 OKW 4/05 SSR 10/05 Disney Wonder and BWV 1/06 - The Time of Our Lives The Dolphin 2/07 5/07 OKW

Next Trip: Free Dining in Sept. and living the dream as Disney Destination Planner with Magical Travel.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X