Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MICECHAT COMMUNITY RULES

2 of 2 < >

Welcome to the Outpost!

Have an event that you'd like to promote? Selling an item on Ebay? Looking for sponsors for a charity event? Want to sell your prized Disney collectibles? The Outpost is the only area on MiceChat where you may post about or promote these items.
See more
See less

Has Disney Applied for an Alaskan Cruise

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Disney Applied for an Alaskan Cruise

This was being reported at CruiseCritic.com and talked about here
    Mouse Extra

Personally, I would love this. I have always wanted to cruise Alaska
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Re: Has Disney Applied for an Alaskan Cruise

Not a rumor. This quote pretty much says it all. Whether the permit will be granted, we'll just have to wait and see.
    Disney Cruise Line has applied for a 10-year permit (valid from 2010 to 2019) to visit Glacier Bay, one of the most popular destinations for scenic cruising on Alaska itineraries. Current regulations restrict the number of vessels that can visit this national park, as well as the number of days lines can have ships there throughout the season. Disney’s application for a permit is a clear sign that the line is considering offering Alaska cruises.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by Earkid View Post
      Not a rumor. This quote pretty much says it all. Whether the permit will be granted, we'll just have to wait and see.
      and what they wind up doing with a permit
      www.jamboeveryone.com
      Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

There is no guarantee they will get approval for this. They needed to apply if they wanted any shot at doing Glacier Bay in the next ten years. These are handed out in ten year increments. Chances are it will be 2012 or beyond if they get approval. Holland America, Princess and some of the other cruise lines have higher priority as they have been going there longer and have well established land operations. This is just one of many permits needed to have a successfull Alaskan Cruise Itineray. For those of you interested....keep your fingers crossed.

Disney's 2010 sailings will be made available OCT 7, 2008
        Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
        it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

You can take it to the bank that DCL will cruise to Alaska ... it will happen.

As for other locations for DCL, you might want to check out some of where DVC is headed and where Adventures by Disney offers tour packages.

Disney is (as usual) telegraphing where they will be heading, although when it comes to cruising, you are limited to some extent.

Comment

Key word here considering. They had to apply now to even have any opportunity to do it within the next ten years.

You can take it to the bank that DCL will cruise to Alaska ... it will happen.
            Is this from the same reliable source that had one of the new ships coming to the West Coast?

Strange that Disney and the port authority in Florida (PCL) have agreed on new facilities to accommodate the new ships being ported there. But then, that could be rumor too, since it was only a Disney press release.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
              Is this from the same reliable source that had one of the new ships coming to the West Coast?

Strange that Disney and the port authority in Florida (PCL) have agreed on new facilities to accommodate the new ships being ported there. But then, that could be rumor too, since it was only a Disney press release.
              I'll stick by what I have said (and you can judge it again on what I and my source have said in the past).

At least one of the new ships will be based in Port Canaveral.

Disney WILL be cruising in Alaska. They also want to cruise to Hawaii, but there are some issues on that at present.

They will also be porting a ship in Europe (maybe year round, that hasn't been decided yet) likely Barcelona. They will also be doing land and sea packages in other locations with Adventures By Disney.

You can feel free to refer to this post in future when the information is officially released.

Comment

I am sure Disney is looking at Alaska, reason for applying for the permit. If they are not going to use this for a few years though, they are less likely to get it as other cruise lines are prepared to take that spot and the Alaska Government wants that $50.00 per person head tax. This will probably be on the Magic if they do it. I cannot see this earlier than 2011 or 2012.

As for Hawaii, this would have to be a long cruise. You cannot sail legally between two U.S. ports without a stop in a foreign country. (Jones Act).
                Most cruise lines stop in Ensanada to meet this requirement. That means 3 days over and 3 days back with a stop. Add a 7 day cruise around the island and you are looking at a minimum 13 or 14 day cruise. Their other choice is Fanning Island in the Pacific, but that still is two days each way. That is a long trip and the Hawaii cruise market has proven to be soft. Most cruise lines run these seasonally as it is hard to fill a ship for these longer cruises. They are also discounted heavily due to length of cruise and time of year they go.

NCL America is the only cruise line approved to sail around the islands. They received a special expemption from Congress and the their forgein built ship was allowed to be U.S. flagged. They have to pay U.S. wages, taxes, workmens comp, etc. This has priced these cruises at a much higher level than the longer cruises sailing from Los Angeles. They dropped from three ships to one as they found the market did not have the demand. With the airfares the way they are now to Hawaii, and airlines not looking to add lift in this market, fares will remain high. There are too many factors working against them to do this on a regular basis. I can see this as just a limited time cruise, if they even decide to get in this market.

The demand for their Carribean product outstrips their capacity in the winter months. They can easily fill these ships during the season in the Caribbean. Off season I can see them repositioning them to other ports for special or seasonal cruising.

I cannot see them having a ship ported in Europe year around. These ships cater to a very American style cruiser. They do not fit the European market and would not make sense to have one based year around in Europe. I can see them doing these seasonally again.

Comment

Since this thread has been buried for some weird reason. I'll just say I largely agree with the above, especially regarding the Hawaii situation (but the Mouse really wants a ship there when his Oahu DVC/mixed use resort debuts, even if it is just for a few 'special' cruises).

As to Europe, the original plan was for only seasonal cruises, but Disney now believes the market is there for year round sailings. The success of one of the transported NCL Hawaii ships (the one now the Jade) has actually helped push the idea of DCL staying year-round.

We'll see, but no matter what the options for DCL cruisers are really going to take off in the years ahead.

Comment

I can see Hawaii being a good move for a couple of seasonal cruises. Maybe after the ship departs Alaska and before it moves back the Caribbean for the season. Quite a few cruise lines do this as the Alaska season ends in September and you have hurricane season in the Caribbean until Nov.

NCL's cruises are longer 12 to 15 days. Then tend to cater to a more adult crowd that can take that kind of time in the off season. May be harder for a family cruise like Disney to do that year around. Europeans do have much more vacation time than we do and usually take much longer vacations, so if they can tap that market, I could see it working. I think it really just depends on the global economy at the time they are ready to deploy. As we have seen things can change and until the ships are actually out, these plans can always change.
                    Last edited by Mr. Lightyear999; 09-08-2008, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Alaska might be a decent choice but it definatly would only be during the summer and would probably be one of the smaller ships (probably the Magic). I think that if they put the Magic on a Mexico route for the non-summer months and then sent it up for Alaska cruises the other 3, they would be all good. Then they can have the wonder keep it's itenerary, one of the larger ships can switch off western and eastern caribbean and the other larger ship can run cruises in the Mediterainian. They could also possibly start land/sea packages with Disneyland and Disneyland Paris.

Hawaii would also seem like a decent option, but that would also have to be seasonal. Maybe if they build a 5th ship, that would be a better possibility.

- Zach

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X