Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the Outpost!

Have an event that you'd like to promote? Selling an item on Ebay? Looking for sponsors for a charity event? Want to sell your prized Disney collectibles? The Outpost is the only area on MiceChat where you may post about or promote these items.
See more
See less

JHM article 1-31-06 (merged)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JHM article 1-31-06 (merged)

Just taken a trip back over to MiceChat after reading this.
    http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1829
    Jim Hill describes John Lasseters tours around WDFA and WDI last week. Naturally, I was pretty excited about reading what the new Big Cheese was getting up to... but I was rather disappointed.

No, Lasseter wasn't a disappointment. Quite the opposite.

Hill was.

I'm sorry, I have tried to ignore the complaints that JimHillMedia recieves, and just view the articles as normal journalism - but Jim Hill really outdid himself this time. The article is a Disney fan's wet dream. It comes across as completely made up! And how does Hill know all this? Was he present at the private conversation between Lasseter and Bob Iger when Lasseter requested the respect and money WDI needed or he wouldn't accept the job? Or was he part of the posse accompanying Lasster on his tour around probably the two most sacred houses of Disney to a Disney fan?

Come on. Whatever Jim. Read the article for yourself. Yes, I would jump and scream if it was 100% true - but it can't be that good.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Re: Big John

Originally posted by Speedway
    I'm sorry, I have tried to ignore the complaints that JimHillMedia recieves, and just view the articles as normal journalism - but Jim Hill really outdid himself this time. The article is a Disney fan's wet dream. It comes across as completely made up! And how does Hill know all this? Was he present at the private conversation between Lasseter and Bob Iger when Lasseter requested the respect and money WDI needed or he wouldn't accept the job? Or was he part of the posse accompanying Lasster on his tour around probably the two most sacred houses of Disney to a Disney fan?

Come on. Whatever Jim. Read the article for yourself. Yes, I would jump and scream if it was 100% true - but it can't be that good.
    Start jumping and screaming. :yea:

Granted, there were some little teeny tiny bits of info that weren't quite accurate in how it all went down. Minor quibbles; nothing to get worked up over.

I don't know who Mr. Hill's sources are. But I know who my sources are. And more importantly, who my sources converse with. And my sources have confirmed just about everything Mr. Hill put in his update this morning.

Like Mr. Zimmerman has been singing through the years:

"The times, they are a-changin'..."

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

I too read the article at Jim Hill Media. If all of what he reported is true than all I can say is, "WHHHHOOOOOPPPPEEEEE!!!!!":yea:

Comment

If it's true, then great. But he does make a good point about Lasseter's time being split between WDI and animation.
        Let's hope he can pass some of his enthusiasm on down the chain once he's got the bean counters on side...

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
        Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

Comment

Well... Like I have said this says nothing about a potential clash between Raselo and Lassiter... I am expecting... no, anticipating a fight between imagineering and Parks and Resorts...

The fuel to this fire is there...

Jim almost touched on why I believe this to be the case...

Meanwhile Al, has been awfully quiet through all this... Probably for the best, too...
          Check out my other blog:

Comment

When I read the Jim Hill article this morning, I came damn near tears of joy... Definitely had goosebumps on my arms... And with BlueSkyDriveBy confirming the report, I'm absolutely ecstatic.
            Magic Journeys...

Comment

*jaw hits the floor and eyes tear up with joy* (WDI)

Well even though Jim Hill has had his opinion about the purchase of Pixar he still is reporting some of the best news since the purposed buyout.

http://jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1829

But that's nothing compared to what supposedly happened once Lasseter got over WDI. According to company insiders, after he made the 10-minute trip from Burbank over to Glendale, John was asked: "What do you want to do now ?"

Lasseter's reported reply: "I want to talk to Tony."
              That's right. John didn't want to talk with Imagineering president Don Goodman or executive vice president Tom Fitzgerald. Not even vice chairman Marty Sklar. But only with Tony Baxter, WDI's senior VP of design.

The story that I've been hearing has John sitting down with Tony and saying: "Tell me about all the stuff that you've wanted to build for the parks for the past 20 years." And then Baxter went through his list of dream projects.

And then Lasseter ... He allegedly talked about his vision for the way WDI & WDFA could start working together. Where new attractions for the theme parks would be developed at the very same time as the movie that these rides & shows are supposed to be based on. So that -- let's take "Cars," for example -- you could see Pixar's latest movie in a theater this summer, then drive on over to Anaheim. Where you'd then find a newly rethemed version of Disneyland's Autopia waiting for you. Which would allow you to go ride inside of one of your favorite characters from "Cars."
              "But ... But ...," you sputter."In order for WDI to actually be able to do something like this, that would mean that this division of the Walt Disney Company would have to have a significantly bigger budget to play with." Well, that's the really great part of this story.
              The way I hear it, as Bob Iger was making his pitch for Disney to buy Pixar, he kept talking up the idea of John being the creative lead at both WDFA and WDI. Eventually Lasseter allegedly interrupted Iger and said: "Look, that's all well and good. But I actually have friends who work at Imagineering. And they've been telling me for years about how you guys have been systematically gutting that division, cutting the budgets for projects, etc."

"So if you seriously want me to consider taking this job, Bob, to turn Walt Disney Imagineering around ... I'm going to need your promise that I'll get all the money I need as well as all the people I need." And Bob actually agreed to John's proposal.

All I have to say is WOW. This is going to be freaking awesome have Lasseter on the WDI team. With him and Tony working together we'll get to see some awesome attractions again.

Comment

Re: *jaw hits the floor and eyes tear up with joy* (WDI)

If all this is true then I'm so happy that I want to cry. This is amazing and I can only hope that at least some of it comes to fruition. Please don't anyone else ruin this thread by becoming synical about the idea. Let's just hope and pray that it's true and if it is I doubt we'll have to wait very long to see the proof.

Comment

YEAH! Jim is pessimistic enough for all of us.

Comment

I don't know why so many people bash JHM. Yes, it's no Miceage, but I find most of the stuff there to be entertaining. If what they say John really did, then I'm happy. And I'm happy TS3 got the can.

Comment

I am shocked this thread has survived here all day! Off to the community outpost with you!

Comment

Originally posted by TheManator
                        I don't know why so many people bash JHM. Yes, it's no Miceage, but I find most of the stuff there to be entertaining. If what they say John really did, then I'm happy. And I'm happy TS3 got the can.
                        Yes, Jim can be very entertaining. A Stephen King novel is also entertaining, but, with a few exceptions, Stephen King doesn't present his work as nonfiction.
                        I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                        sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackdack
                          Please don't anyone else ruin this thread by becoming synical about the idea.
                          Ruin the thread? Excuse me? I can express my views freely ifI want to in this thread - I believe the article is too sweet to be true, you don't - that is your opinion, and I have mine. I haven't critiscised anyone elses opinion, so please dont criticise mine. Yes, I will too whoop with happiness if it is true - but sometimes you have to put things into perspective. I find JHM entertaining, but you have to take everything with a pinch of salt.
                          BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                          October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                          October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                          July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                          July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                          February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                          February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                          TRIP REPORTS

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X