Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the Outpost!

Have an event that you'd like to promote? Selling an item on Ebay? Looking for sponsors for a charity event? Want to sell your prized Disney collectibles? The Outpost is the only area on MiceChat where you may post about or promote these items.
See more
See less

David Koenig gets the Jim Hill treatment.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Koenig gets the Jim Hill treatment.

Looks like Disneyland is applying the "No Tours" rule to everyone.

Originally posted by Jim Hill
    Slight of build and a basically mild-mannered fellow, David is hardly the sort of guy that you'd single out as being a possible security threat. Yet this past Sunday morning, that's exactly what Disneyland's Security staff did. They closely monitored Koenig's movements as he slowly strolled along Main Street U.S.A., watching his every move.

As you might imagine, Koenig found this treatment somewhat unnerving. Which is why he finally decided to approach the officer who was following him and ask him what the problem might be.

The next thing he knew, David was aggressively interrogated by this Disneyland Security host for his "suspicious activity."

"And what exactly was this 'suspicious activity'?," you ask. Koenig was just jotting down some notes on a clipboard. In preparation for a free tour of the theme park that he'd be giving to some of his readers later that afternoon.

Did Disneyland's Security staff over-react? Oh, yeah. But wait. This story gets better. Just wait 'til you hear what Disneyland's Guest Relations Department did once Koenig actually brought his tour group back into the theme park later that same day.

Now let me stress here that absolutely no money changed hands between David & the people that he brought back into the park with him this past Sunday afternoon. That this tour was completely free. It was something that Koenig offered just as a special "Thank You" to all those folks who come out to attend his book signing at Downtown Disney's Compass Books store.

More to the point, we aren't actually talking about a whole lot of people here. Just nine loyal readers of David's Disneyland history books joined him on this tour. Folks who driven down to Anaheim from as far away as Northern California. Just so they could spend some time with their favorite author as he pointed out the 1955-era sites that you can still find inside this fabled family fun park.

But almost from the moment that Koenig led this pleasant group of people back into the "Happiest Place on Earth," he felt like the Mouse's eyes were on him. That his every move was being watched.

And -- sure enough -- David's instincts proved to be correct. His tour group had barely made into Town Square when Koenig suddenly found the assistant General Manager of Disneyland Guest Relations at his elbow. Right there in front of the fire station, another interrogation began.

This woman got right to the point. She said that she had heard that Koenig was charging guests for an unauthorized tour of Disneyland.
    http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/artic...le.php?ID=1398
    That Guy!

Well he was giving tours on private property. . . Thats like someone walking up to your house and taking people on a tour of it. (kinda)

Comment

Originally posted by Uno
      Well he was giving tours on private property. . . Thats like someone walking up to your house and taking people on a tour of it. (kinda)
      While I do see what you're saying, they had all paid for admission, and the tour was free. I mean, isn't the whole point to get people to go there? It's not really private. That's like saying I can't take my friend on a tour of the park because I'm stealing from the Disney tours.

These people didn't want a tour of Disneyland. Disneyland was only the canvas. What they were there for was to hear insight from the author of two of the greatest books on Disneyland I've ever read.

The sad part is how that women was clearly trying to shut him down despite the fact she had no right or reason to. They did not break any rules. I wanted to go on that tour but couldn't make it. Sad, sad sad sad sad.

Comment

I'd better be careful when I give away good DL information to my friends while at the Park.

Comment

It's funny that no one blames matt.
          "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Unfortunate. Of course, when is Koenig's audio tour CD going to be available?

Comment

If this turns into another "jim hill" bashing thread I am going to scream. Lets keep in mind that the tour issue has been debated to DEATH!!!

Plus, it doesn't sound from his article like the tour was stopped, just harassed a bit.
              Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
              Help support the site you love:
              -Visit the MiceChat store
              Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
              MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

That kinda stinks. He was following the rules. They just didn't want anything negative to be mentioned about the park.

Comment

At this point, they probably feel the need to be consistent in their handling of unofficial tour groups so no one can say they were singled out.

Comment

Originally posted by dramaqueen
                    If this turns into another "jim hill" bashing thread I am going to scream. Lets keep in mind that the tour issue has been debated to DEATH!!!

Plus, it doesn't sound from his article like the tour was stopped, just harassed a bit.
                    It's not that the tour was stopped, its the fact that they bascially did everything they could to shut down his tour for no reason. He wasn't doing anything illegal, but they had to come and harras him about it.

Comment

I do think they went to extremes to make sure he wasn't charging for the tour- I know they have to cover their bases, but it sound like they were a little too aggressive in their treatment of their guests. However, the title of this thread makes it sound like he was kicked out and he wasn't- he was able to finish his tour without incident after the initial interrogation. He wasn't given the Jim Hill treatment, his treatment was an aftermath of the Jim Hill incident, albeit an unfortunate one.
                      Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                      Help support the site you love:
                      -Visit the MiceChat store
                      Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                      MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Perhaps.

Or perhaps misery loves company.

"Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
                        -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Orville
                          It's funny that no one blames matt.
                          Isn't that interesting?

Guest Service is improving - YAY MATT!
                          Guest Relations harasses author of book about Park - Not his fault.

Park gets new parade - YAY MATT!
                          Guest is run down by old parade float - Not his fault.

Park attendance is up - YAY MATT!
                          Overcrowding, poor crowd control and understaffing - Not his fault.

Disneyland looks fantastic - YAY MATT!
                          DCA looks worse than it did a year ago today - Not his fault.

Oh how the mighty have... proven to be human.
                          ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

Comment

You've got a point. If you are going to give him all the credit, you need to give him some of the blame as well.
                            MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                            Save

Comment

Originally posted by fearsnda
                              Isn't that interesting?

Guest Service is improving - YAY MATT!
                              Guest Relations harasses author of book about Park - Not his fault.

Park gets new parade - YAY MATT!
                              Guest is run down by old parade float - Not his fault.

Park attendance is up - YAY MATT!
                              Overcrowding, poor crowd control and understaffing - Not his fault.

Disneyland looks fantastic - YAY MATT!
                              DCA looks worse than it did a year ago today - Not his fault.

Oh how the mighty have... proven to be human.
                              I wont deny we like to focus on the good things, but hey, the fact is, there is no doubt he has improved the park. He can't do everything. However, there is no doubt in my mind this will reach him. What he does then will be the question.

Comment

Yeah, this gives DL a black eye in the PR department.

Of course, since 911, DL should be wary of odd behavior, and carrying a notebook and taking notes may have been suspicious. so I can understand their questioning. BUT DL needs to get rid of the paranoia of other tours "stealing their business". That excuse is a load of Pooh.

For DL to harass and intimidate paying guests for someone showing them around Disneyland. Good Grief, next time I go there, I will lead a free tour of my personal history of experiences at DL to my family and friends stopping and pointing things out and see if DL kicks me out. DL really needs to get a grip on reality and stop it's intimidating tactics.

AAAAARGGGG! I'm a pirate! Gimmeee your Guests who Pay for DL Tours! AAAARGGGGG!
                                Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Nobody's perfect. I really respect the direction the parks have turned (I, for one, am glad all funding was funnelled into DL for the 50th, let DCA get reap benefits later). Surely there are still problems and I hope he'll address them as soon as possible.

I understand why he or anyone would want to go out of their way to shut down a paid tour. Or even a free tour that is infringing on their territory. Especially what happened in light of the confused guests on the Hill tour.

This does not change the fact that I find it suspect that they'd stop a man from telling stories about the park to a few people. I, too, wonder if I should stop introducing my unfamiliar friends to the park so as to retain my annual pass.

Comment

Funny, I was at the Noon meet at the Hub, and David stopped by and said Hi, and talked about his morning being followed by 4 different security guards... (prior to the actual tour)

Then just a few minutes later, a group of oriental folks (about 25) showed up, the leader had a plastic rose in his hand, and spent a good few minutes standing on the center planter ring in the hub pointing to different areas and telling his "tour guests" things....

What is the difference????
                                    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer
                                      Then just a few minutes later, a group of oriental folks (about 25) showed up, the leader had a plastic rose in his hand, and spent a good few minutes standing on the center planter ring in the hub pointing to different areas and telling his "tour guests" things....

What is the difference????

That's easy! The guy with the plastic rose was obviously a terrorist!
                                      Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                      An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                      Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                      Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Mitchell
                                        Looks like Disneyland is applying the "No Tours" rule to everyone.
                                        I dunno Cory - your attmept at starting yet more drama is sad IMHO. Disneyland is not applying the "No Tours" rule to everybody, just the ones who are trying to make a buck outta it. I trust your mis-wording was an honest mistake?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X