Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the Outpost!

Have an event that you'd like to promote? Selling an item on Ebay? Looking for sponsors for a charity event? Want to sell your prized Disney collectibles? The Outpost is the only area on MiceChat where you may post about or promote these items.
See more
See less

The Birth of Bad Imagineering

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Birth of Bad Imagineering

Care for the inside scoop on how the addition of 'Under New Management' came to pass?

That is, until they saw the show.
    Look no further than the latest addition to Re-Imagineering.

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

Re: The Birth of Bad Imagineering

Does Gilbert Gottfried reprise the role of Iago? That would be awesome if he told horribly offensive racist jokes during it.

Seriously though, that was a good read.

Comment

Wow, this article hit the nail on the head. Re-Imagineering is the lifeblood of the theme park industry. If the Disneyland of 1955 were still around today, people would be like, ok...so what? The ability to change and evolve makes or breaks a park. So what happened? I think this article got it correct, but even more so, I think a key point needs to be made. The Imagineers lost touch with their audience. They began to act like parents who try to be "hip" like their kids. They became so secure in "knowing" that a Disney character will literally transform an attraction into a smash hit, when in reality it can actually ruin the magic. There are attractions that can handle the introduction of Disney characters. The new "it's a small world" will probably do well, if properly executed. Even Stitch could have been a success. But what the imagineers did not realize is that you need to put these characters in the correct context. Children and families want to see a mischievous, but cuddly Stitch. They want to see friendly Tiki Birds, with wholesome comedy and lighthearted adventure. What really needs to happen with Re-Imagineering is that the designers need to get in touch with their audiences again. Go to the parks with their children, or just go alone, sit on a bench and watch people. Don't quiz them with random information, that information will be skewed. People go to Disney to play and learn, not be hassled and prodded for information. Understanding of the audience is key to understanding theme park design, and that is and always will be true.
      In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Comment

I'm always amazed that Disney's solution to updating an existing attraction here lately is to simply add in a popular new character. I really loved Alien Encounter for many reasons. But firstly..it was an ORIGINAL idea! Wow! There's a concept, huh? I really hate all this stale character driven mess (Buzz, Stitch). Hey, let's keep that in Fantasyland please. The other lands are for things created specifically for the parks. New tales and adventures to be had is what we should find there! Where has the real magic gone? I hope it comes back home soon. I know it exists when I experience something like DisneySea and Expedition Everest.
        And an additional thought: I wish they would keep Pixar stuff at the Studios. It doesn't seem Kingdom-worthy to me.

Comment

Great Website/Blog.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X