Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Whaddya Say We Just Ban The Disney (Social Clubs)!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    LA Times: Lawsuit alleges gangster-like tactics against Disneyland social club

Groups of Disney superfans like to roam Disneyland in packs, called social clubs, wearing matching vests. But a lawsuit contends that some clubs are acting more like gangs. The suit blames Disneyland for not acting on the problem.

Excerpts from the article:

They stroll through Disneyland in packs of 20 or more, motley crews that resemble a cross between the Hells Angels motorcycle gang and a grown-up Mickey Mouse Club with their Disney-themed tattoos and their matching denim vests strewn with trading pins and logos.

Disneyland social clubs, by most accounts, are harmless alliances of friends and family who meet up at the park to share a nerdy obsession for all things Disney. With club names such as Tigger Army and Neverland Mermaids, how threatening can they be?...

But a lawsuit filed in Orange County Superior Court has revealed a dark undercurrent to the pastime. The head of one club has accused another of using gangster-like tactics to try to collect "protection" money for a charity fundraiser at the park.

The lawsuit reads like a mob movie set in a theme park. The plot revolves around the Main Street Fire Station 55 Social Club, whose leaders claim they have been bullied and terrorized by the head of the White Rabbits Social Club.

The lawsuit names 19 members of the White Rabbits, accusing them of defamation, invasion of privacy, conspiracy and intentional infliction of emotional distress. It asks the court to reward the victims compensatory and punitive damages, to be determined during the trial.

The suit also names Disneyland, saying the park has failed to take action against the offending club. A park spokeswoman said Disney has not been served with the lawsuit and declined to comment further....

Social clubs began forming at the Anaheim parks in earnest in 2013, according to longtime club members, who say they can't remember who or what triggered the trend.

The park hosts about 100 clubs, ranging from five or six members to more than 100. Most members are adults, who own annual passes and meet at the park at least once a month.

The clubs' common traits are their denim vests, adorned on the back with the Disney character that the club is named for and Disney trading pins on the front.

The vests are made to resemble those worn by motorcycle gangs. The Hells Angels and Mongols add the initials "MC" on their vests, for motorcycle club. The Disneyland clubs add "SC" on the vests, for social club....
    As absurd as all of this nonsense sounds, maybe it might finally be the thing to prompt Disney management to once and for all ban these bothersome "gangs" which take away from the experience for other guests.

I have complained several times to management about some of these people claiming benches and areas as if it were their turf. Had one goofball in his "gang" vest once put his hand in front of my camera intentionally because he thought I was taking a photo of one of his goofy pals which wasnt't the case; I was attempting to photograph one of the antique horsehead hitching posts on Main Street with my prime lens (f/1/4); his pals weren't even in focus in the background... as if it would matter if they were anyway.

Guy almost lost his arm below the elbow with that dumb move. Clearly he wasn't as much of a "gangmember" as I am the guy you don't put a hand in front of my face.

Comment

• "Gangs at Disneyland," even though they are far from actually being real gangs.
      It's the appearance of the matter that's concerning.
      Mix in with regular park guests ,does not sound comfortable
      IMO
      Front gate security personnel needs to keep motorcycle gang-style wear out of the Parks.
      Does Disney really want this kind Advertisement , in the parks ??
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• The L.A. Times recently reported that one of the Social Clubs has filed a lawsuit against another club. The article goes on to say that some of these clubs resemble Motorcycle Gangs with patches and jackets.

Do these clubs (when they congregate within Disneyland) degrade the "Magic" for others or is this feud between two clubs just a very unusual situation?

Comment

• They degrade the atmosphere of the resort with their Hell's Angels look and their pathetic gang names. But even worse, their silly look is combined with the worst attitude and behaviour you'll encounter. They should be banned.
          Last edited by Natalie Price; 02-11-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• YES..............Social Clubs , degrade the "Magic" and Guest Experience!
            They should be banned..........
            IMO
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• I've never noticed them in any of my previous trips, but I'm going to keep an eye out for them next weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                They degrade the atmosphere of the resort with their Hell's Angels look and their pathetic gang names. But even worse, their silly look is combined with the worst attitude and behaviour you'll encounter. They should be banned.
                Quite honestly I am surprised that Disney even allows this. I've observed them over the past few years and while I find it off putting, I had not seen or encountered any poor behavior, but I have heard stories. To me it is a type of "costume" which I thought that Disney did not allow in the park.

I think that the attire is inappropriate and should not be allowed. However, I am surprised that people would even join them. They seem to be ridiculed far and wide and I thought that they had already faded and passed as a trend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

Quite honestly I am surprised that Disney even allows this. I've observed them over the past few years and while I find it off putting, I had not seen or encountered any poor behavior, but I have heard stories. To me it is a type of "costume" which I thought that Disney did not allow in the park.

I think that the attire is inappropriate and should not be allowed. However, I am surprised that people would even join them. They seem to be ridiculed far and wide and I thought that they had already faded and passed as a trend.
                  I AGREE..........faded and passed as a trend.....Is amazing people would even join them?
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

Ever heard the term "mindless lemmings"? That's what they are. There is a leader who encourages them to become a Disney gang member, and like mindless lemmings, they follow. And I guarantee you, there is not one of them who has the courage to say, "This is stupid! Why are we doing this?"

Comment

• I also agree with previous commentors as well. What's even worse is Disney management seems to have forgotten the "real" gangs they had back in the late 80's and 1990's who would park in Tomorrowland or the likes and cause trouble with rivals or anyone who got in their way. There were videos of them leaving ride vehicles like Small World boats and running around off stage at one time on Youtube. Even though the modern "gangs" only wear provocative clothes and act rude, it's still just a horrible idea. Strip them all of their AP's.

Comment

• Yes. “Social clubs” have no place in the parks, and the fact that Disney has allowed them for so long is embarrassing. Disney is first and foremost a place for happiness, and seeing these groups in denim vests makes everyone uncomfortable, especially children who shouldn’t have to deal with that.

Comment

• Really? Denim vests make you uncomfortable? That guy in the vest loaded with pins at Disneyland on a saturday is probably your doctor or lawyer or something. Give. Me. A. Break. As long as they aren't hassling people or behaving irresponsibly they have every right to be at the park and dress as they like as anyone else. There are plenty of people, more than are currently active on this forum, who would be more than happy to have Disney ban open displays of same-sex affection for "making them uncomfortable", there are plenty of people who would have Disney ban women who don't cover themselves head to toe while at the park because it "makes them uncomfortable, there are plenty of people who would love it if Disney forbade mothers from breast-feeding because it "makes them uncomfortable", there are lot of things that small-minded worry-warts don't like and that is a slippery slope that Disney would be ill-advised to walk down. No, as long as they aren't bothering other guests *you* don't get to decide how they live their lives. More importantly, just because one small part of one group of people is misbehaving doesn't mean they should all be punished, I've seen various "social club" members in the parks for years, ridden rides along side them, stood net to them to watch shows and parades, never a problem, while there are plenty of plain-clothed jerks causing drama and berating CM's because Mickey didn't stay out more than 20 minutes in 95F weather in the middle of july; to paraphrase Gusteau, anyone can be a grade-a a-hole.

Sorry for the rant, but this kind of pearl-clutching intolerance is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Please check out my website too!

Comment

Working...
                          X