Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Why are people mad at the price increases?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people mad at the price increases?

I interpret this situation as supply and demand. Disney parks, at least domestically, are in huge demand, so prices can help reduce crowding. Maybe they won't, but for a product this popular, I'm surprised I'm not paying $200 for admission.

Some people are also arguing that Disney is pricing out middle america. I think this is an overall misinterpretation of Disney's intentions. Disney views itself as a vacation destination. While pricey, the overall cost of a "Disney vacation" is still generally affordable for most Americans. A family of 4 can go the parks once a year or every other year, and that's affordable. However, most of the crowding comes from locals and AP holders who visit MANY times a year. In fact, there are people that go there every Saturday (!!!). Disney is just being smart. The "Resort-Destination" model is a brilliant move. This strategy attracts high paying customers who are willing to shell out money to have a complete "Disney" vacation. People complain that Disney is ignoring the "true fans" (Locals and AP holders), but honestly, they (Disney) are just being reasonable.

In simpler terms Disney would much rather have a family of 5 spending 3 days at their parks and in one of their resort hotels than a person like "FreshbakedDisney" who comes literally every week.

To get a sense of how Disney's price increases are playing with the public, check out the hundreds of readers' comments in the Orange County Register's and LA Times' stories.

A different view than fan forums.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
    until Thor told it to me."
    -
    Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

Originally posted by Spectacular View Post
      I interpret this situation as supply and demand. Disney parks, at least domestically, are in huge demand, so prices can help reduce crowding. Maybe they won't, but for a product this popular, I'm surprised I'm not paying $200 for admission.

Some people are also arguing that Disney is pricing out middle america. I think this is an overall misinterpretation of Disney's intentions. Disney views itself as a vacation destination. While pricey, the overall cost of a "Disney vacation" is still generally affordable for most Americans. A family of 4 can go the parks once a year or every other year, and that's affordable. However, most of the crowding comes from locals and AP holders who visit MANY times a year. In fact, there are people that go there every Saturday (!!!). Disney is just being smart. The "Resort-Destination" model is a brilliant move. This strategy attracts high paying customers who are willing to shell out money to have a complete "Disney" vacation. People complain that Disney is ignoring the "true fans" (Locals and AP holders), but honestly, they (Disney) are just being reasonable.

In simpler terms Disney would much rather have a family of 5 spending 3 days at their parks and in one of their resort hotels than a person like "FreshbakedDisney" who comes literally every week.
      Totally agree. The cost of an Annual Pass is the equivalent of 3 or 4 park hopper tickets. After a handful of visits, that Annual Passholder is no longer generating revenue for Disney. And I don't buy the argument that local APs buy food and merchandise. When the resort is nothing more than a convenient hangout, they're not going to shell out any more money than they have to. And coming to the parks several times a week isn't because it's a well planned out visit. It's a "I'm getting my money's worth" endeavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post

Totally agree. The cost of an Annual Pass is the equivalent of 3 or 4 park hopper tickets. After a handful of visits, that Annual Passholder is no longer generating revenue for Disney. And I don't buy the argument that local APs buy food and merchandise. When the resort is nothing more than a convenient hangout, they're not going to shell out any more money than they have to. And coming to the parks several times a week isn't because it's a well planned out visit. It's a "I'm getting my money's worth" endeavor.
        Not sure why you don't buy the argument that APs are spending money on food and merchandise. Do I need to show you my receipts or something? ​​​​​​​ I spent at least $100 in the park every single visit. If I decide not to renew my pass, I'm going to be spending a heck of a lot less money on Disney this year than last.
        Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

While I am sure there are some APs who go to the parks several times a week, I'm sure it's a very small percentage. There is also a percentage who buy a pass and hardly ever go.

What's funny is that every year Disney raises the prices, and every year there are news stories that make it seem like this is happening for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectacular View Post

Some people are also arguing that Disney is pricing out middle america. I think this is an overall misinterpretation of Disney's intentions.
            uhhh .... come on! Lets talk perfectly frank and honest here..............

Early 21st century mega corporations are out to take the public for every dime they can! And that includes Disney!

Period! End of story!

MY SIGNATURE:
            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post

Not sure why you don't buy the argument that APs are spending money on food and merchandise. Do I need to show you my receipts or something?
              That's just you.

When I had my AP in the mid-90s, the last thing I wanted to do was spend money in the Park. I'd go and grab a coke and a popcorn, but that was pretty much it. Maybe I'd buy a few souvenirs on my first visit or two until the novelty wore off, but after that, why? I saw the exact same merch in the exact same shops for years. If nothing caught my fancy in those first few visits, it certainly wasn't something I would have wanted to buy after six or nine months of going to the Park.
              Last edited by Right Down Broadway; 02-13-2018, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                To get a sense of how Disney's price increases are playing with the public, check out the hundreds of readers' comments in the Orange County Register's and LA Times' stories.

A different view than fan forums.
                I clicked on both of those links. People can't say those things on a fan forum, because they would be censored big time. For language, and bad behavior toward each other, and all sorts of other rules enforced on most forums.

However, people are indeed mad. Some of the people. Because there are a different set of people who will still be paying their money, and showing up. Disney is crowded, and I can't see a time where it will never be crowded again. This is just a prequel to when Star Wars Land opens, and the prices/passes are adjusted upwards again.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

People are entitled. They got used to what they were paying. The same entitled people got upset when they were told not to camp out on main street or that they couldnt park for free at Downtown Disney to just hang out a few hours.

They don’t understand the price increase is a necessary evil as the parks have been suffering for a bit now.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post

Not sure why you don't buy the argument that APs are spending money on food and merchandise. Do I need to show you my receipts or something? ​​​​​​​ I spent at least $100 in the park every single visit. If I decide not to renew my pass, I'm going to be spending a heck of a lot less money on Disney this year than last.

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                    That's just you.

When I had my AP in the mid-90s, the last thing I wanted to do was spend money in the Park. I'd go and grab a coke and a popcorn, but that was pretty much it. Maybe I'd buy a few souvenirs on my first visit or two until the novelty wore off, but after that, why? I saw the exact same merch in the exact same shops for years. If nothing caught my fancy in those first few visits, it certainly wasn't something I would have wanted to buy after six or nine months of going to the Park.

What is the only source of overcrowding? Local APs. And do you really think those repeat offenders are going to drop $100 each visit when they're hanging out at the parks several times a week? Maybe a popcorn and soda. But certainly not enough revenue to justify the nightmarish overcrowding they create.
                    The opening of SWL will be here before you know it, and Disneyland will not survive the horror if they don't start making changes...now! Get rid of those monthly payments. I was an AP before they started that, and the guest experience still had magic. It's gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Price View Post
                      After a handful of visits, that Annual Passholder is no longer generating revenue for Disney. And I don't buy the argument that local APs buy food and merchandise. When the resort is nothing more than a convenient hangout, they're not going to shell out any more money than they have to. And coming to the parks several times a week isn't because it's a well planned out visit. It's a "I'm getting my money's worth" endeavor.
                      Where are you getting your data? Yes, there are some like that, but there are many more that do spend money. Just like there are many in the tourist group (buying park tickets) who pack their lunches and prepurchase souvenirs from Target and Walmart (as we often see questions on here on how to do their trips cheaper.)

If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

When do people not get mad about paying more for the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                          That's just you.

Fair enough. Anyway, I’m actually kind of looking forward to the money I’ll save. It’s like Disney has forced me to reevaluate my priorities, because way too much of our disposable income was going towards one thing. Every time we spent nearly $100 on a fairly mediocre meal, or $25 on a t-shirt or plastic tat, we should have felt outraged, but we paid with smiles because...well, it was Disney. Just yesterday, I spied the Haunted Mansion refrigerator magnets I picked up a month or so ago just stuck someplace, and I felt a bit silly: why did I buy those? Oh, because it was Disney. They make it fun to buy stuff you don’t really need. Got a bunch of Disney stuff just sitting on shelves that I never look at. Never touched since we took them home.

Well, OK, I guess I’ll have that money to save or spend on other stuff. And Disney won’t have us cluttering up their parks anymore. Win-win. Guess Disney did the right thing with respect to our family, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
                            Where are you getting your data? Yes, there are some like that, but there are many more that do spend money. Just like there are many in the tourist group (buying park tickets) who pack their lunches and prepurchase souvenirs from Target and Walmart (as we often see questions on here on how to do their trips cheaper.)
                            Many APs are local high school and college students. They go s few times a month. Many go after class a few days a week. They usually come one to a car, eat drive thru on the way in, and don't really spend more than $5 on their visit.

The more often you go, the less likely you are to spend money there.
                            Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
                              Who's mad? I think they just went about it the wrong way. I would cut the lower tiers completely. Cut the payment plans, etc. Quite frankly, there should only be 2 APs.
                              I think they should get rid of Annual Passes and instead sell a "card" for, say $800 (no monthly payments please). The card would be good for 20 visits to the parks, with blockout dates. When the card is used up, you buy another one.
                              What this would do is eliminate the "I'm bored so I'm going to hangout and clutter up the parks" mentality which exists today. With only 20 visits per card, a little more thought would go into that visit to the resort. "Better make each visit worth it" is better than "I'm bored so I'm going".

Comment

Not mad, but I had been waiting to see if changes would be made that would make park conditions more pleasant. After spending way too much time sorting it out, I don't see that as the case. For the Mon-Fri crowd it'll still be a dogfight, and as more people are pushed to the higher tier passes, those few "premium" days will be crowded, too. Let's face it, there aren't that many premium days. I don't feel fortunate to be able to go on a Saturday or for a couple of weeks in summer with 60,000 of my closest friends. Nor do I want to be pushed over to DCA to avoid crowds, because Pixar and Marvel are not a draw for us. So not mad, just disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
                                  Who's mad? I think they just went about it the wrong way. I would cut the lower tiers completely. Cut the payment plans, etc. Quite frankly, there should only be 2 APs.
                                  I will disagree with you. The SoCal pass has been proven useful to Disney. They have very limited access (Mon-Thurs, with block out during holidays and summer) and provides an income for those days. If Disney's intent was to cut back the APs, they would eliminate the payment plan. This may happen prior to SWL opening. But if that is what they want, they need to do it now, or at least by July. I think what we will soon see is blocking on park hopping, and limiting some days to DCA only. For example, Sundays may remain unblocked for Deluxe passes, but only DCA would be allowed.

The argument "This group doesn't spend money" doesn't hold up. Yes, some may not spend as much as others, but all groups have their sub-group that packs their lunch and water, and only buys a churro. Yet, every time I am there, the restaurants are full. SOMEONE is buying. And if the park is overrun with APs, it must be them. Heck, 3 weeks out, I couldn't get a dinner reservation at Cafe Orleans for my next trip, and I had to lock in tea at a month!
                                  If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

I actually agree with the folks clamoring for an end to monthly payments. Not so much because it would generally price people out, but because it would price out people who probably cannot afford the pass anyway and really shouldn't be spending more money than they can comfortably afford on a luxury.

I can afford the new passes. With or without monthly payments. And, importantly, I know what I can afford and how much I'm spending on stuff: I don't try to hide the magnitude of my expenses from myself or allow a third party do it for me. That road leads to financial disaster if one is not careful.

If Disney truly cared about its guests, and not just its stockholders, Disney wouldn't make it easier for them to spend more than they can afford on non-necessities. But, we've already established that Disney will never put "your" interests above its own (and, why would it?)

But, eliminating monthly payments might be the rare case where everyone's best interests are in alignment:

Disney wins, by skewing park visitors towards higher paying customers, and hopefully getting them to spend even more.

Customers with financial means, either due to high salaries or having saved up for their visits, get a better experience in the park, hence better value for their money.

Customers who don't currently have the financial means to afford a visit (or many, many visits), are given the opportunity to take a break from spending money they don't truly have, and save up for their next visit when they can afford to go. And, yes, I realize it's tough love and hard to break a long held habit, but hopefully there is more out there than Disney (which I hope to discover first hand this year!)

Comment

Declined in customer experience , while Disney Parks increases costs......Guest is paying more for less !
                                      Disney will ,keep doing , what they have been doing......as long there demand for it ..........
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Working...
                                      X