Pirates of the Caribbean closing April 23 to remove the auction scene

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Pirates of the Caribbean closing April 23 to remove the auction scene

Pirates of the Caribbean is now officially set to close on April 23. 6 more weeks left to place your bids on the red head!

I keep an updated list of refurbishments here and will post the reopening as soon as it's available.

I've decided to start this thread to keep folks up to date on the info that Disney publishes. All these dates come direct from Disney and are not speculation unless
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

any estimates on down time. Of course this being my favorite rides and not renewing my AP after last trip at end of May (5/31 expiration) I'm none too happy about this, but that's just keeping in line with how I've been feeling about Disney lately so maybe it's par for the course.

Comment

Originally posted by bingocimo View Post
      any estimates on down time. Of course this being my favorite rides and not renewing my AP after last trip at end of May (5/31 expiration) I'm none too happy about this, but that's just keeping in line with how I've been feeling about Disney lately so maybe it's par for the course.
      I read it will be down through June 7.

Comment

1. Changing the chase scene
        2. Adding Johnny Depp
        3. Removing auction scene.

PotC WAS my favorite ride. Not so much now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post

I officially hate Disneyland management!

Comment

Sorry you have wait in line______________lol
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

Sorry you have wait in line______________lol
              How much is the MaxPass for this ride? I don't want to get on it but I'm running out of options!

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

How much is the MaxPass for this ride? I don't want to get on it but I'm running out of options!
                Man-you do have to ask .......You have to wonder - what going on in Burbank........
                I think options has run out !
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by rockabillylaker View Post
                  1. Changing the chase scene
                  2. Adding Johnny Depp
                  3. Removing auction scene.

PotC WAS my favorite ride. Not so much now.
                  How dare they alter references to sexual violence against women! The only thing I liked about Pirates was the implication of !

Comment

Except it is all tongue and cheek.

(Why should I have to explain this?)
                    MY SIGNATURE:
                    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

If anybody wants to go down the over-the-top political correctness road .... surely you’ll then agree SW:GE will be even more politically incorrect... as the themes center around violence! You know .... like storm troopers, Sith lords waving lightsabers and laser guns into your face! You know- KILLING. But I guess drunken pirates singing songs and only vaguely hint at bad things is FAR worse than on your trip on a new ride designed to out run platoons of stormtroopers out to murder you! Ohhh .... I’ll happily eat my words if the stormtroopers sing songs in a loveable way and want to have a beer with you!
                      Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 03-13-2018, 05:33 AM.
                      MY SIGNATURE:
                      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

But they leave in Depp, who actually does have a history of violence against women..

They seem to have no problem with Michael Jackson either, bringing back EO...

It's curious that they think these changes are to send a proper message, because when I was a kid I was always under the impression that the pirates were behaving badly...

And I'll bet if you asked any other kid today they would say the same..
                        L + L = R

Comment

The expressions first generation imagineers created for these pirates showed there was a comic edge. Coupled with the yo-ho pirates life for me tune .... it’s so blatantly obvious the ride is more comedy than drama. Then .... Disney replaced “Pirates life for me” with the moodier Pirate films music .... therefore creating a more dramatic tone.

So this is what Disney is doing - They had the right balance for decades. Made it more dramatic ... now they want to alter the tone again. They’ll try something else in the future. Muddle the tone in such a Frankenstein manner .... in the end PofC won’t be so enjoyable anymore .... because they couldn’t leave well enough alone .... and then current management will have a far better appreciation to the imagineers who created the perfect balance in the first place!
                          MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

I'm just glad we're going to be there before it goes down to see the auction scene one last time. I expect the lines will be hellacious from now until then, though. This is actual 'Disney history' that is going away.
                            "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I hope everyone remembers ... this isn't happening because of guest complaints at City Hall. (Not after reading a hostess who worked for years never got one PC complaint about that scene!)

This is no different than the adding Disney characters to Small World ........
                              It's not about attendance drop....
                              It's not about fixing something that never broke .....

It's someone idea up in Burbank/Glendale ..
                              giving themselves a job to do .. (it's probably a slow period) - whatever it takes to keep their jobs)........
                              A little committee comes along ...
                              They all congratulate themselves on how wonderful they all are with their "brilliant" new ideas ......

and has NOTHING to do with what park guests say ... or don't say!
                              PERIOD!

Some creative decisions having nothing to do with that park guests want and don't want.
                              It's risks they take ... and just hope it sticks!
                              And spin it in every way they can to the public.

To believe every Disney Spokesman to say the absolute truth ....... I'll tell you what....
                              There's not a lot different between them and politicians!
                              MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                                I hope everyone remembers ... this isn't happening because of guest complaints at City Hall. (Not after reading a hostess who worked for years never got one PC complaint about that scene!)

This is no different than the adding Disney characters to Small World ........
                                It's not about attendance drop....
                                It's not about fixing something that never broke .....

It's someone idea up in Burbank/Glendale ..
                                giving themselves a job to do .. (it's probably a slow period) - whatever it takes to keep their jobs)........
                                A little committee comes along ...
                                They all congratulate themselves on how wonderful they all are with their "brilliant" new ideas ......

and has NOTHING to do with what park guests say ... or don't say!
                                PERIOD!

Some creative decisions having nothing to do with that park guests want and don't want.
                                It's risks they take ... and just hope it sticks!
                                And spin it in every way they can to the public.

To believe every Disney Spokesman to say the absolute truth ....... I'll tell you what....
                                There's not a lot different between them and politicians!
                                How amazing for you to have the power to know how every guest feels about an attraction.

Perhaps Disney is looking at it from a progressive view that little girls can experience an attraction without feeling like their own self worth is not determined by how attractive they are and little boys can see that women are not objects to be bought and sold.

I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

I don't particularly know if this scene is being removed for PC purposes or not. I haven't much of an opinion on the change, if the new scene is advanced for Disney animatronics then I'll like it.

But for my PC friends, perhaps we should take out all of the guns too. They carry assault pistols ya know. The guy drowning in the well? Oh don't forget the alcohol, might teach our young ones that drinking is cool. Ship battles? Burning down the town? That's just violent.

And on HM, the ghost bride should be removed. Teaches girls that beheading their husbands for money is okay.

KA CHOW

Comment

Originally posted by Meville View Post

How amazing for you to have the power to know how every guest feels about an attraction.

Perhaps Disney is looking at it from a progressive view that little girls can experience an attraction without feeling like their own self worth is not determined by how attractive they are and little boys can see that women are not objects to be bought and sold.
                                    umm, that's what the BAD people are doing. Unless you're telling the kids that's the way everyone acts and is supposed act, in which case...wow.

I think most parents would say, "look at those bad pirates, what should we do if they came to our town like that?"

Last edited by skoolpsyk; 03-13-2018, 08:11 AM.
                                    L + L = R

Comment

Originally posted by skoolpsyk View Post

umm, that's what the BAD people are doing. Unless you're telling the kids that's the way everyone acts and is supposed act, in which case...wow.

I think most parents would say, "look at those bad pirates, what should we do if they came to our town like that?"
                                      But we're supposed to like the pirates. They are supposed to be fun and cartoony, not violent and scary. This has always been the case.
                                      Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ttgal4 View Post

This is what they are reporting which makes me super sad as my trip ends on June 6th and I am going to be missing my favorite ride.
                                        BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Working...
                                        X