Pirates of the Caribbean closing April 23 to remove the auction scene

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirates of the Caribbean closing April 23 to remove the auction scene

Pirates of the Caribbean is now officially set to close on April 23. 6 more weeks left to place your bids on the red head!

I keep an updated list of refurbishments here and will post the reopening as soon as it's available.

I've decided to start this thread to keep folks up to date on the info that Disney publishes. All these dates come direct from Disney and are not speculation unless

• bingocimo
    replied
    Just tear it down already. guns, torture, grand theft...c'mon it's all bad. can't wait for someone to have a serious PTSD moment as those pirates at the end aim their muskets at them.

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoDubs
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue Lagoon View Post

Like no need for a “meltdown” over the non-sensical “it’s human trafficking” argument?
    Sorry to keep hammering on this, but you haven't really given me an answer: If the scene is not human trafficking (which, by the way, Wikipedia defines as "the trade of humans for the purpose of forced labour, sexual slavery, or commercial sexual exploitation for the trafficker or others. This may encompass providing a spouse in the context of forced marriage") then what is it?

Leave a comment:

• Meville
    replied
    Not worth it.
    Last edited by Meville; 04-17-2018, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Professortango
    replied

Your comments are quite transparent. It’s quite clever the way you slyly throw insults into your arguments.

And as I predicted, that’s the defense you used.
    Okay buddy, take care. Hope you find balance.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Lagoon
    replied
    Originally posted by Professortango View Post

I don't follow your comments, so I didn't know you had established your age. I assumed you were like 14/15 from the postings. My apologies if I read into that incorrectly.

As for the "PC police" taking a break...you yourself said there weren't many vocal complaints. So its not like we have a scenario where a group was mad, demanded change, and ruined it for the rest of us. Disney itself decided to change its own product and many people said "yep, that makes sense." That means its up to YOU to decide how you deal with this. You can get mad, type vulgarities online, and rant and rail against a fictional PC Police that didn't influence this decision, you can accept the changes, or you can find a hobby/entertainment that suits more of your values and priorities as Disney no longer speaks to you. That's all on you. The "PC Police" don't need to do anything, the ride changed with or without them.
    Your comments are quite transparent. It’s quite clever the way you slyly throw insults into your arguments.

And as I predicted, that’s the defense you used.

Leave a comment:

• Professortango
    replied

”When you are an adult...” is belittling.

Now, see that’s a nice little backtracking defense you’ve just tried, to cover up your belittling remark made to me personally. I’m sure you’re going to claim “Ohh but I thought he was in school!” I’ve been out of school for a very long time. My first visit to Disneyland was when I was 3 years old, in 1971. You do the math.

Nice try. If you also read any of my interactions with “Letsgodubs”, I’ve left no doubts about me not being a college or high school kid.

As for taking a break from Disney, maybe that’s what the PC police should have done, if the Auction scene was so upsetting to them.
    I don't follow your comments, so I didn't know you had established your age. I assumed you were like 14/15 from the postings. My apologies if I read into that incorrectly.

As for the "PC police" taking a break...you yourself said there weren't many vocal complaints. So its not like we have a scenario where a group was mad, demanded change, and ruined it for the rest of us. Disney itself decided to change its own product and many people said "yep, that makes sense." That means its up to YOU to decide how you deal with this. You can get mad, type vulgarities online, and rant and rail against a fictional PC Police that didn't influence this decision, you can accept the changes, or you can find a hobby/entertainment that suits more of your values and priorities as Disney no longer speaks to you. That's all on you. The "PC Police" don't need to do anything, the ride changed with or without them.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Lagoon
    replied

I wasn't attempting at changing your mind, just explaining how the world works once you're out of school. I work with younger people, so I understand the bubble you're in where things are more black and white and when things are wrong or unfair, they are often corrected for you. In the real world, more things are out of our control and not always aligned with our interests.

Where did I attack you personally? I just said you should maybe take a break from Disney is this makes you so upset.
    ”When you are an adult...” is belittling.

Now, see that’s a nice little backtracking defense you’ve just tried, to cover up your belittling remark made to me personally. I’m sure you’re going to claim “Ohh but I thought he was in school!” I’ve been out of school for a very long time. My first visit to Disneyland was when I was 3 years old, in 1971. You do the math.

Nice try. If you also read any of my interactions with “Letsgodubs”, I’ve left no doubts about me not being a college or high school kid.

As for taking a break from Disney, maybe that’s what the PC police should have done, if the Auction scene was so upsetting to them.

Leave a comment:

• Professortango
    replied

Fantastic, you haven’t changed my mind about anything. And look who just resorted to a personal attack. You did.
    I wasn't attempting at changing your mind, just explaining how the world works once you're out of school. I work with younger people, so I understand the bubble you're in where things are more black and white and when things are wrong or unfair, they are often corrected for you. In the real world, more things are out of our control and not always aligned with our interests.

Where did I attack you personally? I just said you should maybe take a break from Disney is this makes you so upset.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Lagoon
    replied

Disney's decisions revolve around Disney and Disney guests. Disney has decided that this is in their best interest to deliver Disney style entertainment to park guests. My guess, most park guests will be okay with the change. Look, I understand you're obviously very triggered over this decision. When you become an adult, you'll learn that sometimes people and organizations think differently than you and not everything will align with your personal definition of "right." It stinks, but in the real adult world, we have to choose how we react to the decisions of others. Maybe you should take a break if this bothers you this much.
    Fantastic, you haven’t changed my mind about anything. And look who just resorted to a personal attack. You did.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Lagoon
    replied
    Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

As evidence of my argument, I offer the unceremonious canning of more and more men, from high places, due to their unfortunate treatment of women. I also point you to the Me Too movement, the massive Women's marches against unjust treatment of them, etc. Who are the many, many people to whom you are referring?

THAT topic can be taken to Debate Lounge: Galaxy’s Edge.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied

Can I see yours?
    As evidence of my argument, I offer the unceremonious canning of more and more men, from high places, due to their unfortunate treatment of women. I also point you to the Me Too movement, the massive Women's marches against unjust treatment of them, etc. Who are the many, many people to whom you are referring?

Leave a comment:

• Blue Lagoon
    replied

I only see one person having a melt down currently. Most melt downs online are people screaming about "ruining the attraction" and "PC Police."

As for a large portion of posters being understanding of the change, I'm basing it based on what I see here on this site, other Disney forum sites, and Facebook. I see a lot of people recognizing the scene is human trafficking and no longer has the same charm it once did.

And you don't need to see a reason for the change. The world doesn't revolve around you. Disney saw a reason for a change and many agreed. End of story. Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it null and void.
    I’m not the first person who has lambasted this change, or the change made back in the ‘90’s with the chase scene. Mind you also, the world doesn’t revolve around people who are “offended” by the scene either.

Also, modern Disney doesn’t always make the right choices. That has been plain since the day Eisner boarded the ship, then brought on Pressler, and Harris, and Rasulo. Now we have Chapek.....

Leave a comment:

• Blue Lagoon
    replied
    Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

Can I see your polling results?
    Can I see yours?

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied

People melting down over the Auction scene calling it “Human Trafficking”.

Most people? Says who? Says you? There are many, many people who think this is bull****, and agree that there was no reason to change.
    Can I see your polling results?

Leave a comment:

• Professortango
    replied

Most people? Says who? Says you? There are many, many people who think this is bull****, and agree that there was no reason to change.
    I only see one person having a melt down currently. Most melt downs online are people screaming about "ruining the attraction" and "PC Police."

As for a large portion of posters being understanding of the change, I'm basing it based on what I see here on this site, other Disney forum sites, and Facebook. I see a lot of people recognizing the scene is human trafficking and no longer has the same charm it once did.

And you don't need to see a reason for the change. The world doesn't revolve around you. Disney saw a reason for a change and many agreed. End of story. Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it null and void.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied

Nobody, including you, is changing their mind here. At any rate, I’ve heard your ideas about the scene (and others with the same ideas) and think those ideas are ludicrous. Surprised?
    I accept your point of view as valid and have not made a judgement of you based on it. I'm just suggesting reasons why Disney is making the changes to PotC. I'm not asking you to change your mind, but maybe just to acknowledge that others here are making valid points, even if you disagree with Disney's actions in this matter. Surprised? Hardly.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Lagoon
    replied

Nobody is melting down over the human trafficking comment but you. Most people say..."yeah, I see that and the change is probably due."

Leave a comment:

• Blue Lagoon
    replied

And the Disneyland version is archived and preserved in pictures, video, and other media. The attraction itself has been updated numerous times since opening already, clearly one change to one scene isn't destroying the integrity of the attraction when there's Davey Jones and Captain Jack Sparrow in the ride.
    Oh, I hate that crap too. But yeah, in my opinion the ride has been dragged downhill, but that’s what Disney management is good at these days. Dragging things downhill.

Leave a comment:

• Professortango
    replied

Like no need for a “meltdown” over the non-sensical “it’s human trafficking” argument?
    Nobody is melting down over the human trafficking comment but you. Most people say..."yeah, I see that and the change is probably due."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X