Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland will ban disposable plastic straws by mid-2019?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busch Gardens Williamsburg has paper straws available. They suck (no pun intended) and they feel weird.

Comment

• PROBLEM: Straws are made of plastic. Plastic is bad for the environment. Animals choke on them.

PROPOSED SOLUTION: We're going to stop using them. You'll be slightly inconvenienced.

So instead of "Okay. Every little bit helps. A healthy ecosystem is essential for our survival. What else can we do?" we get:

"AAAGH!! Freedom! Tyranny!! Liberal agenda!! Tokenism!"

"Unless it will 100% perfectly and unquestionably solve the problem forever, it's not even worth trying. Either way, I'm not paying for it."

"What about (other country)?! Why should we do something if they won't do it too? Whaaah! No fair!"

"This is obviously a dirty, underhanded scheme for (insert name of massive corporation here) to take more money out of MY pocket."

This kind of selfish, shortsighted cynicism is why America is behind the rest of the developed world on so many levels.
      Last edited by NotChuck; 08-29-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• I have not read the entire thread, but I would like to add this. I worked at the MK in WDW in 1989 and 1990. I worked at the Adventureland Veranda and the secondary food locations that shared the kitchen (Adventureland egg roll cart, Frontierland churro cart, and the Oasis in front of the Jungle Cruise). The Adventureland Veranda is now the Jungle Skipper Canteen restaurant and Club 33. Back then, no restaurant had lids for drinks. They did not exist. You could get a plastic straw, but you had to go hunting. Yes, guests complained, but they quickly got over it. I think the same thing will happen now.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotChuck View Post
          PROBLEM: Straws are made of plastic. Plastic is bad for the environment. Animals choke on them.

PROPOSED SOLUTION: We're going to stop using them. You'll be slightly inconvenienced.

So instead of "Okay. Every little bit helps. A healthy ecosystem is essential for our survival. What else can we do?" we get:

"Unless it will 100% perfectly and unquestionably solve the problem forever, it's not even worth trying. Either way, I'm not paying for it."

"What about (other country)?! Why should we do something if they won't it too? Whaaah! No fair!"

"This is obviously a dirty, underhanded scheme for (insert name of massive corporation here) to take more money out of MY pocket."

This kind of callous, shortsighted cynicism is why America is behind the rest of the developed world on so many levels.
          Bingo.
          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
          until Thor told it to me."
          -
          Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

PROBLEM: Straws are made of plastic. Plastic is bad for the environment. Animals choke on them.

."

This kind of callous, shortsighted cynicism is why America is behind the rest of the developed world on so many levels.
            We Americans REFUSE to be inconvenienced!!!!!!!!!! This is why our nation is ahead of the rest of the developed world.....though not on every level.

as I was walking out of the store today, today being Wednesday, new ad, crowded for Labor Day picnics.....I was the only one who had brought in my own canvas/tote bags to carry out my groceries .....why was I the only one ......because the grocery store refuses to inconvenience the shoppers or levy service charges for use of plastic bags. The other reason because I have been reading this thread....and its content is beginning to sink into my responsibility of world citizenship but I cannot tell a lie....left Cost-Co with a handful of straws last night after a hot dog, plate size slice of pizza, three refils and vanilla waffle cone.

Comment

"What about (other country)?! Why should we do something if they won't do it too? Whaaah! No fair!"

This kind of selfish, shortsighted cynicism is why America is behind the rest of the developed world on so many levels.
              Rational, reasonable, sensible, intelligent. Was not expecting that in this thread!

Comment

• Just to update as that hasn't seem to be mentioned, as of about a week ago locations around the resort have started to make straws available only by request, they have also expanded this to lids. Which I imagine if you think about it would make sense as if you don't give them a lid the chances of them asking for a straw is greatly reduced.

But what may be more interesting is the future. One of the CM's mentioned that they were being phased out, and in the short conversation that followed gave no indication that Disney has any plans of using some sort of replacements such as Paper Straws.

If they remove them all together, I am sure there will be complaints and I feel for the Front Line CM's who are probably going to have to bear the brunt of the complaints after they tell the guest that straws and lids are no longer available.

So it will be interesting over the next couple of months to see how this shakes out, will there be a lot of complaints, will Disney end up having to have an alternative to the plastic, or will people just accept it.

Comment

Working...
                X