Woman Sues Disney Over Bedbugs At DLH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    Another fact: there are a fair number of people in the united states that refuse to get their children vaccinated and the measles outbreaks could just as easily have started with some of those children as with unvaccinated people from elsewhere.

Also, at the risk of implying a lack of credibility here, I find it pretty unlikely that a CM would have a discussion with a guest about such unsavory practices of other guests. I'm sure that the topic of guests' bathroom habits is considered seriously taboo by Disney.
    Well said.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
    until Thor told it to me."
    -
    Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony
    narrated by Chris Hemsworth

Comment

Also, at the risk of implying a lack of credibility here, I find it pretty unlikely that a CM would have a discussion with a guest about such unsavory practices of other guests. I'm sure that the topic of guests' bathroom habits is considered seriously taboo by Disney.
      Well if it not.....It Should be......
      In my book it's-TABOO-

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Another fact: there are a fair number of people in the united states that refuse to get their children vaccinated and the measles outbreaks could just as easily have started with some of those children as with unvaccinated people from elsewhere.
        and this is a FACT for it been in News for years now........specially during school season......a lot !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Exactly. That's precisely the point. And it adds to the throwback-bigotry of someone who has a record of citing DLR guests' cultural heritage when posting allegations of their bad behavior.
          Bad behavior is bad behavior, but to deny factors which encourage that behavior is silly. If Scottish soccer hooligans took over the park raising a ruckus that would be duly noted as well, this isn't about race, but more about the "culture" of bad behavior. But to keep it in context to this forum; CMs have a increasingly difficult task sometimes when expectations by guests for what you can and cannot do is not so clear to them unless there is some standard to enforce that. Without saying anything negative to make this point I would instead say something very positive for example about Japanese tourists and how that culture goes out of it's way to conform to a high standard of group behavior. So yes, culture does affect behavior and expectations. I'm sure many people around the world would be quick to point out "ugly American tourist" behavior too. But we are talking about standards and expectations of behavior here, not someplace else.

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

In fairness, and having travelled quite a bit, I can attest that this does happen, though often outside big cities. Not commenting on whether it's good or bad, or on any other cultural aspects in this thread... just that it does happen.
          Thank you. Any google search or even youtube search will confirm this too. Talking about publicly relieving oneself other than in a restroom; where it is acceptable, and where it is not. It clearly is not at Disneyland; it is in fact illegal under California law.

This is true, but at the same time Orange County had been reporting the outbreaks were from people in higher numbers from outside the Untied States and the implication seemed to suggest other than folks arriving through normal legal tourist means where vaccination proof is required. In other words other than 'documented' arrivals.

Really, I was the eye witness.

My family and I were in line to ride the Matterhorn.
          Ahead of us was a large tour group from China.
          I noticed something that seemed strange to me as two women were closely shielding a man from view directly in front of me and that man's posture looked very much like he was relieving himself (urinating). And being that I am much taller than the people ahead of me I could see he was EXPOSED and urinating into a zip lock bag.
          When the man was finished one of the women took the bag of urine and placed it in her purse.

My reaction:
          I didn't know what to think other than I thought that bag of urine was possibly going to be used in some prank or otherwise ejected at someone during the ride.
          Being that we were behind these people and therefore would be below them during the rollercoaster ride I DID THE RIGHT THING and notified the nearest CM / ride operator about what I had observed, I did not personally confront the other park guests, I let the CM know what I saw. And even as I told the CM I was not sure he would believe me, but nonetheless we were going to exit the ride knowing that a bag of human urine would be on the ride ahead of us.

The CM's Response:
          No sooner had I meekly started to explain to the CM what I thought I saw; he said, "Who? Point them out!" And when I did he imeadiatly confronted them and told them they had to exit the ride and dispose of the bag at the nearest restroom.

The Reaction of the tourists:
          At first they did not seem to act as if they understood but the CM kept pointing to the purse I had said I saw them put the urine bag in and then seemed to understand by the CM pointing to the exit and maybe someone in their group understood English, but the two women and the man exited the ride.

My question to the CM and his explanation to me:
          After the people left the line I motioned to the CM to come and speak with me as I was still concerned that this might have been a prank or something and that we were worried to stay on the ride. It was then that the CM assured me that was NOT what their intention was (to throw the urine out during the ride) but rather something they believed is appropriate to do and not something they believed was offensive-- although what they do commonly in areas of China. The CM was very professional and did not editorialize of any of that, but he was in agreement that urine cannot be brought onto a park ride and thanked me for alerting him as it was clearly a issue that needed to be rectified immediately. People can't carry around containers of bodily fluids, this is SERIOUS stuff. I think the CM may have said that Disney had been working to get the message to some of the Chinese tour operators about making sure folks knew that there are plenty of restrooms and where to find them.

This really happened. You can say I am making it up if you wish, but it did happen. AND it happened not because the people thought they were doing anything wrong, it was merely something they do in that culture which really isn't something acceptable here.

Comment

I've had CMs comment to me on cultural differences. Granted, nothing bad -- and nothing about bathroom habits -- but I've heard comments at WDW about, say, the behavior of Brazilian tourists (something even mentioned in the Touring Plans books).

There are cultural differences everywhere -- and certainly an "ugly American" stereotype is prevalent when travelling abroad. Often these differences are not necessarily good or bad, just different, through the lens of our own culture. For example, I've had many people tell me they don't want to visit France because the French are rude and sticklers for language. While there are certainly rude people everywhere, I've found the French to be some of the nicest people I've met. It helps to attempt French with them before rudely demanding they speak English. If they correct your French, it's not because they're mean, but simply formal -- and proud of their language! Meanwhile, the French find it strange when Americans walk around smiling and saying hello at everyone. Many Europeans are more reserved. However, it's not that we're crazy, it's that we're more visible and expressive about our friendliness.

Comment

Originally posted by Whipland View Post

My question to the CM and his explanation to me:
              After the people left the line I motioned to the CM to come and speak with me as I was still concerned that this might have been a prank or something and that we were worried to stay on the ride. It was then that the CM assured me that was NOT what their intention was (to throw the urine out during the ride) but rather something they believed is appropriate to do and not something they believed was offensive-- although what they do commonly in areas of China. The CM was very professional and did not editorialize of any of that, but he was in agreement that urine cannot be brought onto a park ride and thanked me for alerting him as it was clearly a issue that needed to be rectified immediately. People can't carry around containers of bodily fluids, this is SERIOUS stuff. I think the CM may have said that Disney had been working to get the message to some of the Chinese tour operators about making sure folks knew that there are plenty of restrooms and where to find them.

This really happened. You can say I am making it up if you wish, but it did happen. AND it happened not because the people thought they were doing anything wrong, it was merely something they do in that culture which really isn't something acceptable here.
              To clarify my previous statement, I was only questioning the part about the CM discussing the matter with you, not that the event ever happened. I am more inclined to believe the exchange with the CM as you have explained it now, and I apologize for implying that you might be making it up. I just couldn't see a CM being chatty with a guest about such a matter. I'm sure that Disney management would still prefer that the CM had not addressed the situation with you at all, other than to tell you not to worry since the situation had been dealt with.
              Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

To clarify my previous statement, I was only questioning the part about the CM discussing the matter with you, not that the event ever happened. I am more inclined to believe the exchange with the CM as you have explained it now, and I apologize for implying that you might be making it up. I just couldn't see a CM being chatty with a guest about such a matter. I'm sure that Disney management would still prefer that the CM had not addressed the situation with you at all, other than to tell you not to worry since the situation had been dealt with.
                Thanks. Like I said, the CM was very professional and I think that the reason he took time to explain to me what was at play was two fold 1) to assure me that the people were not trying to do something intentionally nefarious during the ride, and 2) probably because my concerns were such that I wanted to exit the ride, therefore I deserved an explanation.

I think the CM was in a tough spot really. Just to say "the situation had been dealt with" would not have curtailed my concerns and possibly allowed me to think the the staff had brushed the situation under the rug. But I do see where it might have been better for the CM to refer me to management. But then again, I saw what I saw, a very unsanitary and in fact ILLEGAL act being done, even if it was only a cultural disconnect. So I guess the way to look at it is, that is on those people to feel either embarrassed or uncomfortable, not on the CM and not me or anyone else.

As they say, "when in Rome".

thanks for the reply

Comment

Just an FYI on staying in hotels and bedbugs, check the mattress on the sides where people lay their heads to sleep. If you see little black dots, run and don't look back. Bedbugs travel from hotel to hotel via people's luggage and shoes. We run apts here in Anaheim, and when someone here discovers bedbugs it's taken care of immediately! Which includes the tenant packing up their apt like they were moving so that we can have the apt professionally sprayed. And before anyone moves into one of our apts, we have a bedbug inspection to show that if a bedbug infestation arises, that tenant brought them with them. We've had 5 instances in the last 5 years and it's usually been because a tenant brought in used furniture from a thrift store.
                  sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

A bit of an aside: Hispanic people are actually, quite frequently, Americans. It's a myth that 'whites' outnumber Hispanics in California. The US census for 2017 shows 'whites' as making up 72% of the population, but that actually includes Hispanics. If you split it out, 'Hispanic or Latino' makes up 39.1% of the CA population while 'White, not Hispanic or Latino' makes up only 37.2% of the CA population. So much for Hispanics being a minority, at least in this state.

The problem with the census is in the confusing definitions. One can check "white" and then also check "hispanic"-- makes no sense unless you can check "white" and then also check 'celtic', 'slavc', 'nordic','Germanic' , et al. The census needs to remove the hispanic / latino option if you are also checking "white" otherwise what does white actually mean if you then have to qualify it with "white non- hispanic"?

I suspect that the current census system is designed to make people assume that "white" is still a majority demographic since most people don't realize that anyone can just check that box if they feel it applies. Add to the convolution that anyone who is from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Lybia are supposed to check "white" as well-- even though they would probably prefer to call themselves Arabic or North African.

Comment

Originally posted by Whipland View Post

The problem with the census is in the confusing definitions. One can check "white" and then also check "hispanic"-- makes no sense unless you can check "white" and then also check 'celtic', 'slavc', 'nordic','Germanic' , et al. The census needs to remove the hispanic / latino option if you are also checking "white" otherwise what does white actually mean if you then have to qualify it with "white non- hispanic"?

I suspect that the current census system is designed to make people assume that "white" is still a majority demographic since most people don't realize that anyone can just check that box if they feel it applies. Add to the convolution that anyone who is from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Lybia are supposed to check "white" as well-- even though they would probably prefer to call themselves Arabic or North African.
                      Indeed, I believe you're spot-on here, except that not everyone from the countries you mentioned is Caucasian. But I understand what you meant. However, this is all political in nature so let's just leave it at that and not discuss it further, here.
                      Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

However, this is all political in nature so let's just leave it at that and not discuss it further, here.
                        Political discussion is allowed here in the Debate Lounge. Which is why, when the thread went off-topic into political discussions in the DLR forum, it was moved here.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                        until Thor told it to me."
                        -
                        Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony
                        narrated by Chris Hemsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Political discussion is allowed here in the Debate Lounge. Which is why, when the thread went off-topic into political discussions in the DLR forum, it was moved here.
                          Ah, right. I forgot that this was yet another thread that had gone that way. But I guess that it was inevitable, given the topic.
                          Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Working...
                          X