Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

Without de-railing the thread, that might be true for certain countries. But "modern capitalism" has also led to the abject poverty of billions of people on earth in a continued effort to supply the minority of lucky ones (us on this forum included) with more wealth than ever before. Do certain people have more material objects? Yes, and if that is your definition of no longer being in poverty than have at it; but the living conditions of billions has degraded significantly in the last few decades because of resource extortion, poor supply management, and unkempt growth.......to make the claim that it is the single greatest thing for humanity is to make a pretty sweeping generalization that largely disregards the circumstances billions of people live in outside of North America and a select few other places.

Sure that farmer in sub-Saharan Africa has a cellphone, but he or she also doesn't have any drinking water because of the tailings from three mines owned by North American companies has contaminated the groundwater.
    I should probably just drop it, but I can't let this one go. It is just objectively false.

The statistically proven elimination of poverty and increase in standard of living (ESPECIALLY in traditionally less affluent parts of the world) has been dramatic in just the last generation, and virtually always happens in coincidence with growth of free market, democratically governed capitalist economies.

Some experts have speculated that we are quite literally on the cusp of eliminating world poverty as we once knew it thanks to free market economic growth, free trade, and technological innovation born through free capital investment.

There's always room to quibble about this or that social program or regulatory body, etc. But some of these new age anti-capitalist politicians in western countries are ignoring practical and scientific evidence just as stupidly as climate change deniers, and it's a little worrisome how many (mostly younger) voters are buying it.

I'm done now. Somebody else can have the last word now.

Comment

I visited DLR for the first time in 2 years and can't unsee the Galaxy's Edge missteps. Smuggler's Run was like a video game in a simulator. Set in the middle of acres of the "wrong side of the tracks" (literally) imagineering. No seeming connection to the movies except the uninspired sequels. Where's C3PO to bail us out? The jump to hyper space was nothing like the experience as a Star Wars movie audience member. How does concrete tell a story? Re-visited GE at night in hopes it might look better; it didn't matter. This new land does not appear to have gone over budget. At the back of park, it is truly far, far away and the entries to the new land are fittingly underwhelming. Galaxy's Edge makes California Adventure seem a little else underwhelming.

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post

Without de-railing the thread, that might be true for certain countries. But "modern capitalism" has also led to the abject poverty of billions of people on earth in a continued effort to supply the minority of lucky ones (us on this forum included) with more wealth than ever before. Do certain people have more material objects? Yes, and if that is your definition of no longer being in poverty than have at it; but the living conditions of billions has degraded significantly in the last few decades because of resource extortion, poor supply management, and unkempt growth.......to make the claim that it is the single greatest thing for humanity is to make a pretty sweeping generalization that largely disregards the circumstances billions of people live in outside of North America and a select few other places.

Sure that farmer in sub-Saharan Africa has a cellphone, but he or she also doesn't have any drinking water because of the tailings from three mines owned by North American companies has contaminated the groundwater.
        And you have a better solution?

Comment

Originally posted by Rbar View Post
          I visited DLR for the first time in 2 years and can't unsee the Galaxy's Edge missteps. Smuggler's Run was like a video game in a simulator. Set in the middle of acres of the "wrong side of the tracks" (literally) imagineering. No seeming connection to the movies except the uninspired sequels. Where's C3PO to bail us out? The jump to hyper space was nothing like the experience as a Star Wars movie audience member. How does concrete tell a story? Re-visited GE at night in hopes it might look better; it didn't matter. This new land does not appear to have gone over budget. At the back of park, it is truly far, far away and the entries to the new land are fittingly underwhelming. Galaxy's Edge makes California Adventure seem a little else underwhelming.
          Very interesting, it sounds like you are missing what some would call the "original" Star Wars experience. I had wondered how much of this is driving low enthusiasm.

Comment

Most if not all successful business owners of service/retail will tell you that increasing service has the highest ROI and it's one of if not the cheapest to implement and provides the highest customer loyalty and return. How iger and chapek feel they are above this growing sentiment is beyond me. Sometimes it seems like Iger is truly just milking things so he can form his exit strategy but I think now the climb is plateauing and as soon as it goes into a downward trend he will bolt in the night before it can be blamed on him and even then wall street led corporations always seem to buddy up to these exploitation artists time and again so another will arrive. Like somebody said before Iger and chapel are simply the paint & brushes wall street is the artist of this horrific painting.
            Last edited by Starcade; 09-17-2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X