Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

April Fools' Day Request

We appreciate your help in keeping the day fun, but not mean-spirited or anything which might further upset folks at a time when their nerves are already on edge. Posting humor is appreciated, but mean-spirited tricks aren't. - Dusty Sage
2 of 2 < >

MICECHAT COMMUNITY RULES

See more
See less

OC declares state of emergency for Coronavirus. What does this mean for Disneyland?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC declares state of emergency for Coronavirus. What does this mean for Disneyland?

OC declares local state of emergency for Coronavirus. Are we looking at a slowdown at Disneyland? The County of Orange declaring an emergency is only going to bring the risk to the forefront, perhaps driving people away.

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...ut-coronavirus

Personally, I don't think it will slow down crowds... even after recent price increase, crowd levels went up. Local visitors won't be stopped unless park itself is closed.

Comment

The only way the local public at large would stop going would be if they perceived it to be a real threat to their personal health (regardless of official declarations). If the reality doesn’t match the consensus perception, then people act on the latter rather than the former. I think that in order for people to perceive the park as a risk, they would need multiple, repeated cases of outbreak shoved in their faces (like Chipotle’s issue a while back). Most people are reactionary.

Comment

Two things that will impact: one if there is a spike in cases in OC and the severity of symptoms.

If there is a large spike in the number of cases, I suspect that attendance will plummet for a period of time.

What has not been made clear to the public is the severity of the symptoms. The article mentioned that the person who had it has recovered. What was the course of his illness like? How severe? How is he doing now?

They need to provide much more details on that part of the story to generally calm the public. For example, people know what to expect from the flu, and even at the height of flu season, its not a big deal. What we have is a huge unknown, if people perceive it to be a flu like situation then it won't have much effect. If left in the dark, people tend to fear the worst and that is what would cause a panic and cause large numbers of people to stay away from public gatherings like the parks.

Comment

I had an appointment with an ear nose and throat surgeon yesterday and asked him in passing about what he thought about the coronavirus. He said the media was not being honest about the severity of it all and its likely going to be a big deal in the United States. He also said that its very unlikely that this is a normal virus that evloved naturally and it was probably made in the Chinese National laboratory in Wuhan and someone there screwed up and let it get out. He also said that even though its not killing lots of people right away that doesn't mean that those infected do not have serious problems later in life as a result of it. He said the one good thing about it is summer is coming soon and it would probably be more difficult for the virus to spread in the heat of the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
            He said the one good thing about it is summer is coming soon and it would probably be more difficult for the virus to spread in the heat of the summer.
            Well it been cold winter for me anyway,
            I ready to get back wearing shorts again

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

States of emergency are usually for the purpose of freeing up earmarked emergency funding for countermeasures without appropriation processes or endless levels of approvals. This strikes me as somewhat premature and alarmist of OC, but with a vaccine on the way I'm optimistic most people will be able to overcome it. If reports are to be believed, it has about a 2% fatality rate, depending on demographics and risk factors.

As for Disney's impact, time will tell if the disease actually impacts people outside of China enough to interrupt their daily lives. So far I don't think Anaheim is in particular trouble.

Comment

Maybe they will have a special edition coronavirus pin and a popcorn bucket that people will line up hours for.
                "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

Originally posted by TacAlert View Post
                  Maybe they will have a special edition coronavirus pin and a popcorn bucket that people will line up hours for.
                  This, gotta capitalize on the hysteria somehow

Comment

All I can say is that it is already here. A person very close to me works for a very large prestigious medical facility here in Los Angeles. I know for a fact that a resident and their spouse were in China and came back here to Los Angeles and were admitted to a Hospital here and in isolation for one month. I also know that once they were discharged from the facility - the hospitalization charges were to be covered by the CDC.

I think what people aren't hearing is that they (officials in the US) have it "contained". Don't any of you know people that have had a weird flu like syndrome for a period of time and different from the flu?

I'll say it again. This virus is already here. Listen to what the officials are saying. In short order they will say officially that it is...

Comment

I run a website that does not focus on stuff like Coronavirus, but in the community forum we do have an epidemiologist from Stanford University who is talking about it. You can post there without registering and ask questions if you'd like. The current thread is https://community.defconwarningsyste...ry-2020.13861/

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                        with a vaccine on the way
                        A vaccine is on the way like a cure for cancer is on the way. It's being worked on, but that doesn't mean it's near.

Now, please don't read anything into what I said. I'm not saying the government is trying to deceive you and that it's time to head to the bunker. I'm just saying the government isn't going to come out and say "We have nothing at the moment."

It's not what they say. It's what they don't say that you have to listen to.

And to agree with what someone else said, the virus doesn't seem to like the heat, so the coming summer is good news. It also doesn't seem to like children. So there's that as well.

Comment

Directly related to CA - https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...19-spread.html

Directly related to HKDL, but relevant to this thread - https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ine-camps-cost
                          If they are going to use HKDL land to quarantine people returning from the Wuhan area, it seems unlikely that HKDL is going to reopen any time soon.

This appears to be a legitimate news site that contains information you don't see immediately in the US media - https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/index

Although this article might be hard to believe, it's worth sharing - https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3881683

Please consider this. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/607000/

The doctor in the article estimates that between 40 and 70 percent of the word's population will be affected.

The US population is about 330 million.

40 percent of that is 132 million.

If you look at the numbers being released from China, which are likely lower than the actual amount, the mortality rate is a minimum of 2 percent.

2 percent of 132 million is 2,640,000. Based on extremely conservative estimates, we can expect more than 2.5 million Americans to die because of this.

According to the CDC, https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm, approximately 2.8 million Americans die each year. That is over a 12 month period.

For what it's worth, the mortality rate from Covid-19 in Iran is 14 percent - https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...tries-n1142646

Finally, after considering all of the above, think about our current administration's prior actions on pandemic preparedness.

The experts are telling us that a pandemic is coming. Time is running out to prepare for this.

Edited: Typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthope View Post

A vaccine is on the way like a cure for cancer is on the way. It's being worked on, but that doesn't mean it's near.

Now, please don't read anything into what I said. I'm not saying the government is trying to deceive you and that it's time to head to the bunker. I'm just saying the government isn't going to come out and say "We have nothing at the moment."

It's not what they say. It's what they don't say that you have to listen to.

And to agree with what someone else said, the virus doesn't seem to like the heat, so the coming summer is good news. It also doesn't seem to like children. So there's that as well.
                            I won't read more into what you said. I'm just stating my optimism given mine and others' familiarity with the science surrounding how the vaccine works. I have various friends in medicine and public health who are concerned mostly because of how it is being handled but not necessarily because of the disease's virulence.

More reading, if you're interested: https://time.com/5790545/first-covid-19-vaccine/

Comment

All schools in Japan have been told to close - https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XlffKGhKibg

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
                                All I can say is that it is already here. A person very close to me works for a very large prestigious medical facility here in Los Angeles. I know for a fact that a resident and their spouse were in China and came back here to Los Angeles and were admitted to a Hospital here and in isolation for one month. I also know that once they were discharged from the facility - the hospitalization charges were to be covered by the CDC.

I think what people aren't hearing is that they (officials in the US) have it "contained". Don't any of you know people that have had a weird flu like syndrome for a period of time and different from the flu?

I'll say it again. This virus is already here. Listen to what the officials are saying. In short order they will say officially that it is...
                                Is there an article or news story to prove this that it is in LA?
                                "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

2 percent of 40 million is 2,640,000. Based on extremely conservative estimates, we can expect more than 2.5 million Americans to die because of this.
                                  2 percent of 40 million is 800,000

Comment

Originally posted by Deez Nutz View Post

2 percent of 40 million is 800,000
                                    Thank you for questioning my math. You are correct. The issue is that I wrote "40 million". I should have written "132 million", which is 40 percent of 330 million.

330 million US citizens.

40 percent of 330 million is 132 million.

2 percent of 132 million is 2,640,000.

Thank you for letting me know about the error.

Comment

https://www.ktvu.com/news/gov-newsom...-in-california

28 confirmed cases in California now.

Comment

I'm going to move this to the debate lounge. I understand that people don't come here for coronavirus news. That being said, it's going to affect Disneyland directly. It's just a matter of time.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X