Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

TRUMP....Or, How Insane (or Great) is our President?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sh**hole
    Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

• From "The Damage Trump Has Done"...

The United States survived President Trump’s first year in Washington. But the damage already done to democratic institutions at home and to our vital alliances abroad will surely linger long after the 45th president leaves the Oval Office. Trump has, in one year, laid waste to America’s diplomatic legacy, set in motion the destruction of the Republican Party and called into question constitutional safeguards that have served us well for two centuries.

Trump clearly believes a supposedly booming economy vindicates all. But this week, Forbes magazine ran a comparison of Trump’s and President Barack Obama’s economic records, which showed just how exaggerated the White House claims are that a Trump-inspired economic renaissance has swept across the United States. That Trumpian claim is so fake, it doesn’t hold water even on Wall Street.

To hear the president crow about the recent surge of the stock market, one might think the bull run of 2017 was greater during his first year than any other. But Forbes noted that stock prices grew at a faster pace during the Great Depression. Even Obama’s first year in office was more bullish, with the broad S&P 500 Index exploding by 23.5 percent compared with last year’s 19.4 percent clip.

The markets aren’t the only place where the petulant president falls short. The number of jobs created under Trump was lower in 2017 than during each of his predecessor’s final six years in office. Wage growth also declined after Trump became president. In fact, of the few areas where this president produced higher numbers than his predecessor, most were dubious achievements. The 2017 deficit under Trump climbed to $666 billion, up from $585 billion in 2016. The national debt crossed the $20 trillion threshold and is projected to rise faster in the future. And America’s trade deficit, which candidate Trump famously blamed on poor presidential dealmaking, was worse during Trump’s first year than in any of Obama’s eight. Like most of Trump’s braggadocious pronouncements, his claims clash with reality.

The president’s foreign policy pronouncements seem just as dangerously detached from the real world. The United States is less safe, less secure and less respected than it has been in decades.

America’s standing across the globe has been diminished by isolationism and angry tweets. Trump sullied the “special relationship” between the United States and Britain by blasting both the British prime minister and mayor of London after a terrorist attack. Trump insulted the prime minister of Australia, despite that country having stood by the United States during wartime for a century. The president also attacked Germany, our most steadfast ally in continental Europe, leading Chancellor Angela Merkel to tell her countrymen that they can no longer depend on the United States. Trump insulted France’s young leader by expressing support for his right-wing opponent and withdrawing — contrary to U.S. interests — from the Paris climate accords. And then came Trump’s piece de resistance for this tragic first year — a shocking slur against people from Haiti, El Salvador and countries in Africa.

All this ally-bashing was matched by Trump’s elevating the status of dictators and racist organizations....

Trump’s embrace of tyrants, coupled with his contempt for democratically elected allies, has sent the United States’ standing across the world to record lows. But the most damning legacy of Trump’s first year is simply that he has ruled as an unrepentant racist who provided comfort to white supremacists after Charlottesville, attacked black athletes to score cheap political points and fought furiously to close America’s doors to anyone who doesn’t think, look or pray like his most avid supporters.

The damage done by that cruel legacy will be lasting....

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
      Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
      imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
      until Thor told it to me."
      -
      Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

• Is there a Dewitt Wallace version of the above....if so please send a copy to Robert A. Taft, Barry Goldwater and Ronnie.....heck...while you are at ...send a copy to Frank Knox, Henry Stimson and Wendell Willkie.

Comment

• Scott Pruitt’s big day at Disneyland

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

• Originally posted by Figment56 View Post
            I think the Hall of Presidents Trump speech should include such comments as, "I'm a very stable genious", perhaps "the smartest there is" and America has become great even though we let people from "___hole" countries in. The problem with what he says in HoP is that it sounds completely unlike Trump, you know, umm, Presidential. He never sounds Presidential. Unfortunately, Trump is truly a reflection of how certain Americans think. SAD.
            I chortled and scared my dog when I read this.

For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
            http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

Comment

• End to the Korean war would be wonderful news. I wonder if people will give the current president credit for that if it happens. If they don't they will prove to be irrelevant when it comes to any discussion on this subject.

Comment

• Hilarious. The only thing that 45 has accomplished was created a bond between the two Koreas where their commonality is laughing and making fun of what a fool he is.
                I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by PanTheMan View Post
                  When i was in the Air Force in the 80's I was stationed in England. Scores of people were killed and injured by the IRA. Britain did not 'ban' all Catholics. They had the brains, that we seem to lack, to understand it was a group of radical extremists who happened to be Catholic.
                  Did they though? The examples of English oppression of the Irish during those times are too many to list. Catholics in Northern Ireland had all sorts of civil rights limitations. Scotland Yard regularly raided Irish pubs in London. MI5 actively participated in assassinations of Irish civil rights leaders (e.g., Pat Finucane). And the public was all for it. The Daily Mail called for a ban on Irish people from all UK sporting events and proposed fining Irish residents for the costs of IRA disruption to public transport. After the IRA bombing in Manchester, Irish nurses were told to "go “home" by colleagues, and Irish community centers received death threats. Paddy-bashing, “no blacks, no Irish, no dogs” rules were common. Irish Catholic factory workers in Birmingham had bricks dropped on their heads after the Birmingham incident and there were a large number of Molotov cocktail attacks on Irish homes and business in England. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking the English were any more restrained in their response to terrorism than we've been. And for what it's worth, the IRA generally gave advance notice of their attacks, so that innocent people wouldn't die. So the threat was less grave than what we're responding to today.

[and although we almost never agree on much, Pan, yeah, I think our President is nuts]
                  Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
                  The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

• ^ Huzzah! Good to see you back, steamboatpete!

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

• 21,437 wow...that is huge... we haven't had that here since............1969....thanks for checking us out!!!

Comment

• I approve of his MAGA theme and it seems to be working. Another supreme court pick and hopefully full implementation of a better immigration policy and we are half way to MAGA already.

Comment

• Well....isn't that special......that is what I heard this morning at the joint conference.....and boy wasn't he smoking with all kinds of "special" for Ms May July august press conference. anyhow, MAGA is alive and well in Arizonia, a whole different world down here with Sheriff Joe running for US senate

Comment

• Originally posted by Whipland View Post
                            I approve of his MAGA theme and it seems to be working. Another supreme court pick and hopefully full implementation of a better immigration policy and we are half way to MAGA already.
                            What's the other half of MAGA?

What is a better immigration policy?

What do you hope SCOTUS gets done now that it will clearly have a conservative majority?

Comment

• I am in AZ too, and I cannot believe Arpaio was freaking let off the hook. That guys has done so many horrible things, especially to women. Just want to make a few points for people to consider:
                              ~If this country REALLY wanted to fix illegal aliens, we would make a building with kiosks on the border that scan fingerprints, take photos, and create SSN for anyone who wants to get in. Building a wall is pointless, and even government officials in Mexico laugh at it, since the majority of people who come here go by air or sea anyway.
                              ~A repeal of Obamacare, as much as I dislike most of it, would hurt so many...it would let insurance once again deny pre-existing conditions, which is one of the most important things it did. My daughter had cancer a few years ago, and we know that most of the kids in the Children's Hospital would have just died without it, so we need to CHANGE it, not eradicate it.
                              ~Gun Control only hurts the law abiding citizens, as the criminals don't care about laws. Other than making the system we have actual function correctly, it wouldn't help any of us.
                              ~The President is a horrible person who had a bad reputation before this, and his horrible attitude makes hate and violence be more acceptable to much of the populace. This does NOT reflect good on us as a country, so it absolutely matters.
                              ~Until we fix our entire, antiquated system, including not allowing government officials to be rich off of donation and becoming puppets of the wealthy, none of our complaints matter much. All sides are corrupt and filled with liars who no longer represent the people.

Sorry, I am very sad about the state of our country, and I pray that we remember that WE hold the power to make change. I love humans and we are all flawed, but we also need to recognize those that fill our ears with hate and division in order to keep us fighting each other...that is how the people are controlled.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whipland View Post
                                I approve of his MAGA theme and it seems to be working. Another supreme court pick and hopefully full implementation of a better immigration policy and we are half way to MAGA already.
                                I honestly do not understand this point of view. Some people are so blinded by the nostalgia of a dead era that they can't see all the terrible things happening around them.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by Meville View Post
                                  I honestly do not understand this point of view. Some people are so blinded by the nostalgia of a dead era that they can't see all the terrible things happening around them.
                                  For an explanation, use the MiceChat search engine to read Whipland's previous posts about the ills of our society -- particularly his comments (many Litterboxed) about gangs, people of lower economic means, and people of color.

Then check out the following articles. They describe his viewpoint to a T.

What Old, White Conservatives Miss About America

Opposition to immigration

What Do Conservatives Want When They Say "I Want My Country Back?"

Taking Our Country Back: From Whom?

Conservatives’ Anti-Immigration Fervor Is Political: They Think Keeping the US White Will Save Them

The Hollowness of Trump's Promise to 'Make America Great Again

Trump supporters and the empathy gap

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-16-2018, 01:19 PM.

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

For an explanation, use the MiceChat search engine to read Whipland's previous posts about the ills of our society -- particularly his comments (many Litterboxed) about gangs, people of lower economic means, and people of color.

Then check out the following articles. They describe his viewpoint to a T.

What Old, White Conservatives Miss About America

Opposition to immigration

What Do Conservatives Want When They Say "I Want My Country Back?"

Taking Our Country Back: From Whom?

Conservatives’ Anti-Immigration Fervor Is Political: They Think Keeping the US White Will Save Them

The Hollowness of Trump's Promise to 'Make America Great Again

Trump supporters and the empathy gap

Thank you for the articles. I try to be open minded to every opinion, but I just do not understand the mind of a Trump supporter.

And that goes for the Canadian ones too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meville View Post

-
                                      never understood the point of view.....untill I am knee high now in the border mess....imagine watching every morning the news and the first 5 mins is about the cache of meth, the cache of heron, the cache of weed....found in vehicles trying to cross the border......then at interstate freeway border checks, in the US proper, not near any border, they are finding van loads of children and women who have crossed the desert.....and on their way to slavery. Never paid attention in Oregon.....because it didn't concern my 50 mile radius In Salem. it was on never on the news. There is no concept.....unless it crosses your backyard......I have no idea what the wolf and cougar problem in Oregon is now.....but a cougar checking out breakfast specials at the elementary school in Oregon, always made breaking news.....but nothing about children driven to slavery.

MAGA is all these tiny backyard problems seen by conservatives and joining hands together for a nation wide solution....created by..... liberals who have no clue about raising cattle or US citizens spending their days off hauling water bottles to the border for crossing folks to drink, oh wait, folks is defined as young children. How many of those folks protesting are foster parents to children...or taken a 3 day weekend to haul water in the 100 degree weather to misguided crossings.

Comment

• Originally posted by laferney Road kid View Post

never understood the point of view.....untill I am knee high now in the border mess....imagine watching every morning the news and the first 5 mins is about the cache of meth, the cache of heron, the cache of weed....found in vehicles trying to cross the border......then at interstate freeway border checks, in the US proper, not near any border, they are finding van loads of children and women who have crossed the desert.....and on their way to slavery. Never paid attention in Oregon.....because it didn't concern my 50 mile radius In Salem. it was on never on the news. There is no concept.....unless it crosses your backyard......I have no idea what the wolf and cougar problem in Oregon is now.....but a cougar checking out breakfast specials at the elementary school in Oregon, always made breaking news.....but nothing about children driven to slavery.

MAGA is all these tiny backyard problems seen by conservatives and joining hands together for a nation wide solution....created by..... liberals who have no clue about raising cattle or US citizens spending their days off hauling water bottles to the border for crossing folks to drink, oh wait, folks is defined as young children. How many of those folks protesting are foster parents to children...or taken a 3 day weekend to haul water in the 100 degree weather to misguided crossings.
                                        Sorry, but this makes no sense at all; not your ideology, but your actual post: it makes no sense.

I won't disagree that there is a boarder issue, but it's not just the fault of conservatives or liberals; the problem is systemic and has been that way for years. The difference is that 45 LOVES to play the blame game and you red hats eat it up like candy without even looking at the facts outside your right wing 'news' station.

So please tell me, if this has been an issue since they closed the boarders, how can you possibly make america great again?

And outside of that please explain how his involvement with Russia will ever help MAGA while simultaneously eroding relations with the EU and Canada.

Comment

• thank you good questions.

The texas borders are not closed, it is a river in a dense canopy of brush that allows negligent mothers to drag their children without fear of dehydration. The building of the wall in texas will prevent the massive flow of drugs into the US and the problem of addiction can be address, but if we don't stop the flow, then pouring money into addiciton drains the US $ infrastructure that could be used elsewhere, for example, into education in the southern state to bring that part of the naiton out of poverty and MAGA. What you see on the news about the children is more of a Texas problem then here at the Colorado river borders. Yes, children are separated here in Yuma, for decades that has been the system, but the massive flow in texas has broght to light the nationwide border problem. By preventing illegal crossings, we support the concept, that yes, you can enter, but there is a system to enter.

Canada is an example of having a system in place that punishes folks....Canadian citizens. Canadians, under Canada law, are only allowed to stay in Yuma for 6 months....regardless if the winter heat helps arthritis, bone degeneration, Parkinson, depression, paralysis ...... Canadians arrive here hurting, they lose their pain , have time off to heal, then head back at the end of march.....back to their illness again in the cold. Why would Canada punish sick citizens....because Canada has system to protect its economic infrastructure

In order to MAGA, the borders need to be controlled to regulate an influx of folks who over burden the system. Here on the Colorado River, the law enforcement budget is mind boggling. I can drive down the free way and every mile I will see a state patrol or a county patrol or a border patrol....this is just staggering compared to Oregon freeway where I can drive for hours before I see a sitting patrol vehicle....yes...all those desert vehicles....they are sitting, not moving.

EU relations.....what is happening there is that the Reds are fed up paying the NATO bill and the war....those are children of Reds that are dying overseas. Also, what we see on liberal news is melt down of moral structure in EU. Also, the EU failure to recognize Israel....for the Reds, Jerusalem was more important than Roe vs Wade, which the Reds have pretty much agreed that the new justice will take no interest.

MAGA is great again because Israel is great again.....that platform will have the re-election of Trump.

45 blame game.....yes, that is a characteristic....he has done that all his life....his book....the game.....the TV show....The debates in the summer saw him as bully....someone else is responsible for the current failure. Reds love to put blame on someone else for failure. For example, I am living month to month on basic retirement, hence the poverty of living in Yuma. My family had a reunion two hours from where I live, they would not loan me the money to buy a tank of gas......blaming me for my own poverty....rather than acting in a liberal fashion and seeing that I am family, a once in a life time reunion, surely my siblings could have pitched in 10.00 each for gas....but their Redness fully put the blame on me and the poverty consequences on me. 45 and reds no longer see the EU as family but as self indulgent children who long forgotten the price paid by REDS for their freedom.

As for Canada....don't know what to tell you.....I guess when Canadian leaders allow its citizen to hear Emma Lazarus on October first, the conservative, hard working blue collar Canadians will tell me, poor Canadians come to Yuma, rich Canadians go to Phoenix proper. MAGA when Canadians arrive here, they are 50% of the volunteer fund raising work force to help poor American senior citizens
                                          Last edited by laferney Road kid; Yesterday, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X