Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

    I have 2 cats 7 years old. Installed a cat door that leads to their litter box outside. Problem is one of my cats is very skiddish and is having difficulties using the new door and litter box. He's not a happy camper. Any suggestions on how to get him to use the door and litter box? Any help would be appreciated. I've tried putting him through the door but that didn't work. We tried to put him in his cat box with the door opening straight into the cat door. Didn't work. All out of ideas..

  • #2
    Re: Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

    Is he scared of the flap? Could you keep that open until he gets used to going through the hole in the new door?
    A signature should go here.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

      Originally posted by SusieP. View Post
      Is he scared of the flap? Could you keep that open until he gets used to going through the hole in the new door?
      Good call Susie, exactly what I was going to say. I had a skittish cat and she hated the door to the garage. She didn't like the sound of it flapping back or that it whacked her tail on the way down. Leaving it open if possible should help if that's the fear.

      Good luck and let us know if it works!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

        I have just bought a Litter Kwitter on Ebay which allows you to train your cat to use the real toilet within eight weeks (says the packaging). I don't think you can train it to flush but it still beats having a stinky litter tray!
        I will let you all know how I get on with the toilet training.
        WDW - 1987 & 1991
        DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
        DLR - October 2011




        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

          You could try putting treats on the other side of the door. Good luck!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

            Some cats just refuse to go outside for some reason that only they know.

            If you keep the kitty box clean.....maybe keep one inside also.
            Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
            it's what they are like in their HEART!


            - Wolfette

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

              Olivia (my cat) refuses to go outside (Ok, she wants to enjoy the outdoors but the paranoid mommy won't let her - indoor cat!) If you can't get her to go outside I'd suggest keeping a CLEAN litterbox somewhere in the garage or house.
              "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

                Originally posted by nathan detroit View Post
                I have just bought a Litter Kwitter on Ebay which allows you to train your cat to use the real toilet within eight weeks (says the packaging). I don't think you can train it to flush but it still beats having a stinky litter tray!
                I will let you all know how I get on with the toilet training.
                we trained our cat to do that...sort of...it was a fiasco. he used the device until we had to start opening the hole up. Then it all went to heck. he got litter in the toilet, the toilet got stopped up...plumber had to come out....yeah...then we tried again with not as much litter, but the first time he heard his pee hit the water he bolted from the bathroom and that was the end of that.

                I hope you have better luck with it. In all fairness he cat we tried with was a rescued wild cat and he never really calmed down like a regular they have been around human cat. He was always a bit different....

                as for the original question, I don;t have any other suggestions. I do know for a while we had to have two litter boxes set up for our male and female cat. the male preferred his own box and would not use hers. cats can be odd sometimes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

                  Thanks for everyone's great ideas! Going with removing the flap to see if that helps. The litter box is sitting on our balcony inside a big cage that's covered up by a tarp. (Give you a better picture) Never knew cat pee smelled soooo bad! Will keep you posted.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Help with Cats and new Litter Box??????

                    Originally posted by snappy View Post
                    Thanks for everyone's great ideas! Going with removing the flap to see if that helps. The litter box is sitting on our balcony inside a big cage that's covered up by a tarp. (Give you a better picture) Never knew cat pee smelled soooo bad! Will keep you posted.
                    I'll take the pee over the aroma of the Kitty Roca.

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X