Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have any good ideas for things to put in a care basket for someone with cancer

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have any good ideas for things to put in a care basket for someone with cancer

I am the congregational care person at my church and there are three women who were recently diagnosed with cancer. I have people do meals for them , but would also like to make up a basket of goodies for each of them.

If you have any good ideas for what to out in the baskets I would love to hear them.

Re: Do you have any good ideas for things to put in a care basket for someone with ca

If they are going to be hospitalized or homebound for a while Books, DVDs, crossword books will help get by the idle time. If they are on chemo something like chap stick or hard candies would help.

This is very nice of you Anne. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

Chad

Comment

Re: Do you have any good ideas for things to put in a care basket for someone with ca

Maybe make up a small book for them. Make three of them and have people from the church write a short message to them, to help them if they hit a rough patch and remind them of the people who love them, support them and who are praying for them.

But I agree with what Aashee said, chapstick, crossword puzzles, books to read during chemo, or an audio book to listen to. Some small hard candies, maybe a small bag of a variety of them. Or you can get a small bear at Michael's and make them shirts that say "Get Well Soon" or something, to cheer them up a bit.
      Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

Find out what their favorite snacks are and out some of those in.

Comment

Remember, too, that cancer effects the family as well. See if there are young children and include a little something for them. If there are adult children, items that are humorous are always appreciated.

The mere fact that you are doing this will mean much more then what goes into the basket, do remember that.

Just don't put a six-pack in there with an old TV Guide.

That would be bad show.

Peace,
          Roo
          husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

I'd suggest a "Get Well" plush in the middle of the basket. Stuffed animals always cheer folks up. In addition, like mentioned before crossword books, books, and candies to pass away the time. Maybe add a candle in the basket so the person has something to take home with them. You can add a note to tha candle with an uplifting saying that the person can keep with them. Other than that, everybody has had some great ideas so far.

Thanks so much for doing this!

Comment

Originally posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
              I'd suggest a "Get Well" plush in the middle of the basket. Stuffed animals always cheer folks up. In addition, like mentioned before crossword books, books, and candies to pass away the time. Maybe add a candle in the basket so the person has something to take home with them. You can add a note to tha candle with an uplifting saying that the person can keep with them. Other than that, everybody has had some great ideas so far.

Thanks so much for doing this!

That is a very sweet idea, but you have to be REALLY careful with 'Get well' and cancer..... For some people, getting well is not an option, and I have seen the very sweetest of intentions quickly go over like a lead balloon..

A good friend of mine has a husband who is N-stage cancer, and has around six months to live. One of the biggest things he likes is humor, and funny stuff. I don't know if you know them that well, but they have lots of cancer humor books, written by survivors that have really given him laughs, which can be few and far between. He and his wife are beyond sick of hearing from random people how brave he is, and how 'God only takes back the good ones' Those kind of trite comments mean well, but coming from random acquaintances, it doesn't go so well.

It's really cool you are doing this, you have some great ideas and suggestions, and I agree, find out as much as you can about the people, and their likes and desires.

Best wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer View Post
                That is a very sweet idea, but you have to be REALLY careful with 'Get well' and cancer..... For some people, getting well is not an option, and I have seen the very sweetest of intentions quickly go over like a lead balloon..

A good friend of mine has a husband who is N-stage cancer, and has around six months to live. One of the biggest things he likes is humor, and funny stuff. I don't know if you know them that well, but they have lots of cancer humor books, written by survivors that have really given him laughs, which can be few and far between. He and his wife are beyond sick of hearing from random people how brave he is, and how 'God only takes back the good ones' Those kind of trite comments mean well, but coming from random acquaintances, it doesn't go so well.

It's really cool you are doing this, you have some great ideas and suggestions, and I agree, find out as much as you can about the people, and their likes and desires.

Best wishes!
                Max is very right. Oftentimes, good intentions aren't taken as they were meant. Find out what you can about the person and then make your decisions of what to and what not to include off of that.

Comment

My best friend recently finished chemo and radiation for breast cancer. The things that she was looking for were good lotions or oils for her dry skin and a soft hat for her head that didn't have seams in it that would irritate her skin (due to the effects of the chemo).

Also, don't get them their favorite treats, no really. Chemo changes taste buds and if you eat something that you have a bad reaction to during chemo, you may never want to eat it again when you are done. We wouldn't let my friend eat pizza when she was in treatment because we were all afraid she wouldn't like it when she was done. (maybe it's just us, but we bond over pizza, and have done so for the past 30 years) My cousin got really sick on pizza when she had breast cancer and she still won't eat it (five years ago) although she now can be in the same room with it without getting sick, unlike before.

Comment

Originally posted by daffodilklown View Post
                    My best friend recently finished chemo and radiation for breast cancer. The things that she was looking for were good lotions or oils for her dry skin and a soft hat for her head that didn't have seams in it that would irritate her skin (due to the effects of the chemo).

Also, don't get them their favorite treats, no really. Chemo changes taste buds and if you eat something that you have a bad reaction to during chemo, you may never want to eat it again when you are done. We wouldn't let my friend eat pizza when she was in treatment because we were all afraid she wouldn't like it when she was done. (maybe it's just us, but we bond over pizza, and have done so for the past 30 years) My cousin got really sick on pizza when she had breast cancer and she still won't eat it (five years ago) although she now can be in the same room with it without getting sick, unlike before.
                    I so agree with this. When I went through chemo 7 years ago about the only thing that tasted good to me was Corn Chex. To this day I can no longer eat them.

So agree on the Chapstick and lotion. Be careful with the lotion, though, as sometimes scented ones can bother a person. Unscented would probably be better.

I know I watched a lot of TV so if they have a DVD player some light hearted movie perhaps. I also napped a lot but can't think of anything for that.

I know one of the things that overwhelmed me was the cards and notes from everyone at church and my place of employment. It really did mean a lot to me

This is really nice of you
                    sigpic

Comment

When my Sammy moved home to be closer to her mom in her final months we ordered her a basket from this place. I suggest 'creatively borrowing' stuff from their baskets.

http://www.cancergifts.com/index.php...kets_women.php
                      sigpic

Comment

When I was battling cancer last year, one of the branches of my company that I worked with (Portland) rustled up a care package and had it sent to my house. It was a huge banner signed by all........books, magazines...a couple of movies.....and some toys for my new son.......

Put a lump in my throat.......I'll never forget that.

Comment

During chemo my hands and nails went through some awful changes. I would go through a bottle of hand and nail creme every week.

My tastebuds also changed, always had a metal taste in my mouth so I began eating Ice Breakers Sours and I don't typically like sour things. Even after chemo I still enjoy them. I'm one of those people who didn't develop any food aversions associated with chemo so it doesn't happen to everyone.

I always kept handy a pack of small note cards that were funny or pretty that I could use to jot someone a note or to thank people for their kindness. Include a nice gel write pen, those always feel so smooth to write with, and also remember to include some stamps.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

These are all such great ideas!

Thank you so much everyone!

I am especially sad right now about one of the gals because I've been friends with her for the last 17 years and she is such an awesome lady but always seems to get dealt lousy hands in this life.

I just know that some of your ideas will help a lot.

Thanks again and keep em coming if you have more!

Comment

I don't know of the situation but when one of our good family friends had a kid with cancer, I gave blood. Everytime I was able to I set a time to give again. Even if it didn't go to her someone could benefit.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X