Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

MiceChat Knott's Scary Farm Event

Tickets for MiceChat's annual Knott's Scary Farm meetup are now on sale. Event info can be found here - scaryfarm2017.eventzilla.net
2 of 3 < >

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge

The Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge has been opened. You can find it in the Lounges section.

All MiceChat rules still apply.
3 of 3 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked by your SPAM filter. Approvals are done at least once per day, but no approval will be given for accounts that have not verified their email address. No account created using anonymous services will be approved. These include proxies, VPN's, and Tor exit nodes. IP address reputations are also checked. Any IP address with questionable reputation will be banned and the registration denied.
See more
See less

What does this mean?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this mean?

So I'm ordering something from over sea (Hong Kong to be more specific) and I see this at the bottom:

Duty free import USA up to US$200, E.U. EUR 22). Duty & tax consists of your local GST/VAT rate and a processing fee.

What does that mean, this is my first time ordering outside of the US.

Re: What does this mean?

:wave:
    Hi! I might be able to help since we order stuff from England a lot. I think when you order from outside the US, there is a certain amount you can buy before you have to pay duty taxes. That's what the first part is "Duty free import USA up to US$200". So if whatever you're ordering is under $200 then you don't have to be concerned with that. The next part "Duty & tax consists of your local GST/VAT rate": VAT is Value Added Tax which is like a purchase tax. I'm pretty sure it is only paid when you are in the country where you are making the purchase. Could be wrong on that ...... not 100% sure but I don't recall having to pay VAT here in the US only when I was living in England. Usually when you are buying something online, there will be a page where you receive a breakdown before you confirm the purchase. That page will separate all the taxes and handling fees so you can see what you are paying for. Hope this helps and if I can find out anything else I will let you know!
    sigpicDisneyBroad54

Comment

Re: What does this mean?

Originally posted by WhiteMagick View Post
      :wave:
      Hi! I might be able to help since we order stuff from England a lot. I think when you order from outside the US, there is a certain amount you can buy before you have to pay duty taxes. That's what the first part is "Duty free import USA up to US$200". So if whatever you're ordering is under $200 then you don't have to be concerned with that. The next part "Duty & tax consists of your local GST/VAT rate": VAT is Value Added Tax which is like a purchase tax. I'm pretty sure it is only paid when you are in the country where you are making the purchase. Could be wrong on that ...... not 100% sure but I don't recall having to pay VAT here in the US only when I was living in England. Usually when you are buying something online, there will be a page where you receive a breakdown before you confirm the purchase. That page will separate all the taxes and handling fees so you can see what you are paying for. Hope this helps and if I can find out anything else I will let you know!
      Oh cool

thank you, that clears it up.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X