X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great News for Stinkerbell.... but not for the rest of America

Rankings: Obesity Rates Grew In Every State But Oregon

Mississippi Ranked Heaviest State

The obesity epidemic isn't winding down -- in fact, it's expanding, according to state rankings released Tuesday by Trust for America's Health, a nonprofit health advocacy group.

Obesity rates continued to rise last year in every state but Oregon. Mississippi ranked as the heaviest state, Colorado as the least heavy, according to the report, titled "F as in Fat: How Obesity Policies are Failing in America, 2005."

The rankings are based on averages of three years of data from 2002 to 2004 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hawaii was not included in the report.

About 64.5 percent of adult Americans are either overweight or obese. The report found that more than 25 percent of adults in 10 states are obese, including in Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Texas, Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana and South Carolina.

Residents of Alabama had the largest increase in obesity in the three-year period. The group says that overall, the percentage of obese adults in the United States grew from 22 percent to 22.7 percent from 2002 to 2004. Alabama's increase was 1.5 percentage points to 27.7 percent.

"Obesity is a gateway to heart disease, diabetes and a host of other diseases," said Parris Glendening, former governor of Maryland and co-author of the report. "Decisions about where we build new houses and highways or schools and sidewalks can mean the difference between giving people more or less opportunity to participate in physical activity."

The group also criticized U.S. government policies about obesity, saying that federal programs are too limited to make much difference.

"We have reached a state of policy paralysis in regards to obesity," said Shelley Hearne, executive director of Trust for America's Health. "We need more and better data so we can make decisions to get out of the debate limbo in which we are stuck. We have a crisis of poor nutrition and physical inactivity in the U.S., and it's time we dealt with it."

Hearne said poor nutrition and physical inactivity add up to a crisis. She wants the government to require healthier school lunches and make sure Medicaid recipients have access to fitness programs.

Policy analyst Radley Balko differs. Balko, from the Cato Institute -- which prefers free-market approaches to problems -- said obesity is a very personal issue and that the government's role is not to define what you eat and how often you exercise.

Health policy analysts say obesity affects taxpayers because it requires Medicare and Medicaid to cover treatment of diseases caused by obesity.

The report said some states are making headway when it comes to obesity policies. They include setting strict nutritional standards for school lunches and improving physical education programs.
    I'll pass on the fries!
    ...it's been a long time.

Re: Great News for Stinkerbell.... but not for the rest America

So... Does that mean I need to skip the Xtreme Sausage Sandwich I was gonna get at JITB? Bummer.

Comment

I thought perhaps Starbucks was opening another 200 stores in Portland or something.

Way to work out, Oregon!

:yea: <---Doing my Dancing to the Oldies video :lol:

Edit: Actually, the only reason we're not getting fatter in Oregon is because we're all Meth Freaks here. Send me some Sudafed!!

Comment

Government policies are more likely to make things worse than better.

If they want to solve the obesity problem, they have to make healthy foods cheaper than fattening ones. Poor people don't eat Macaroni and cheese for its gourmet flavor. Ever seen the price of a salad these days? Cheaper to get a burger!

Perhaps if we stopped propping up our farmers with our tax dollars and make them charge the world price for produce, we can get produce from countries who produce it more efficiently (read: cheaper), helping their economies, which in an indirect way helps curb terrorism (people who are doing well financiall usually don't want to rock the boat), and at the same time, help curb the obesity problem because produce will be so incredibly cheap that it'll make more sense to buy fresh potatoes and tomatoes than pizza.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon
          Government policies are more likely to make things worse than better.

If they want to solve the obesity problem, they have to make healthy foods cheaper than fattening ones. Poor people don't eat Macaroni and cheese for its gourmet flavor. Ever seen the price of a salad these days? Cheaper to get a burger!
          Sadly, that is such a huge factor. It does cost more money to eat healthier, however, some people just don't make the decision to do it.

I'd rather spend $5.00 to eat a salad than $1.99 to eat a crappy cheese burger.
          ...it's been a long time.

Comment

Mmm, salad.

You ever just want a BIG SALAD??
            I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
            That explains the trouble that I'm always in...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jennidisneyfer
              Mmm, salad.

You ever just want a BIG SALAD??
              I love salads! I eat salads as a snack more than chips. Yummy. Mmmmmm. Salads........
              Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
              I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Comment

I don't buy junk food in part because it's so expensive. Have you seen the price of junk food at the grocery store? And pop? I have three kids and I can't imagine buying all the junk food....partly because my grocery budget is not that big. They can drink water and eat apples for a snack, a sandwich, an orange and some low-fat Trader Joe's pretzels for lunch. I'm not going to buy them a 6-pack of Pepsi and a bag of Doritos and a Hot Pocket for lunch. Jeez. It's spendy.

But I have to say this....and no one take it the wrong way, but it seems like every single time I've seen someone in a grocery store shopping with a foodstamps card, their cart is filled with expensive junk food: fish sticks, tater tots, frozen burritos, name-brand chips, liters and liters of name-brand soda pop, hotdogs.

It seems to me that we need to educate poor people about nutrition and teach them how to cook a meal from real food, instead of how to pop a burrito into a microwave.

Comment

Re: Great News for Stinkerbell.... but not for the rest of America

Stinkerbell: junk food usually has a shelf life, meaning, if it doesn't get eaten right away, you don't have to throw it out. Poor people often work multiple jobs and have very little if any time for going to the grocery store... certainly not every 3 days, as one would really need to do to keep fresh foods from going bad.

You talk about soda... a 2-litre bottle of Coke costs between $0.89-$1.25, depending on whether you find it on sale or not. A half-gallon container of orange juice is going to be more like $3.

You can feed a whole family on a jar of tomato sauce ($3) and a package of spaghetti ($1.25), and they'll be full. To do the same with a salad, well first of all you couldn't possibly match the amount of nutrients in the cooked tomato with salad veggies, and certainly not for a comparable cost, but let's say you only do a head of lettuce, a cucumber, and a bottle of salad dressing. Same cost, but your family's hungry again an hour later.

As a single person, it makes little financial sense to keep fresh stuff in the house because you can't possibly go through it all before it goes bad unless you eat that and only that for every meal till you do. So it becomes cheaper to grab a can of coke (12-packs can be obtained for $4, making each soda $0.33), and a $1 double cheeseburger from McDonald's. A salad, even at McDonald's (blech!) is going to cost more.

THAT'S what's wrong here. That's why America is one of the only places in the world where the poor people are fat and the rich are thin, instead of the other way around.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

BTW: I do like your water and apples suggestion, that's actually a good one financially, but as far as junk food, I wasn't even talking about snacks, just meals.

Comment

I see people taking their over large children to fast food restaurants and paying over $5 per meal for a combo (I'm actually thinking of a recent trip to Wendy's). They could take that same amount of money across the street and buy plenty of healthy groceries for far less. Yes, that's a judgment on my part (perhaps it's the only going-out meal they've had all month and it's a treat, etc.), but I see that same type of attitude in the grocery store. They buy chips in bulk, but not a single vegetable? You can't tell me that $3 bag of Doritos is going to last beyond a single sitting with three teenage kids.

When I want a cheap meal fast, I go to my local pizza place and order a caesar salad with double grilled chicken for $4.50. I get a cup of water for free.

Or I could go to a fast food place and order a chicken whopper with extra large fries and a ginormous soda pop and spend closer to $6.

Sometimes it's about choices.

Comment

Actually, the only reason we're not getting fatter in Oregon is because we're all Meth Freaks here. Send me some Sudafed!!
                        OMG!! I about peed my pants laughing after reading that!!

Comment

Since I started shopping only at Trader Joes and have adopted the French style of eating (balanced meals with small portions - small salad, small portion of veg, small portion of meat, small dessert, glass of wine) I haven't had to even think about my weight, and it doesn't leave me feeling hungry. I weigh less now than I did in college. But that wasn't always the case for me. So, I'm pretty sure that I either have a tape worm, or the new way of thinking about food is working.
                          MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

I think it's fair to say that quality food is more filling than crappy food. Sadly, crappy food is cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkerbell
                              Or I could go to a fast food place and order a chicken whopper with extra large fries and a ginormous soda pop and spend closer to $6.
                              We like to call that the bucket o' pop.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X