This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any MCers in Oregon?

I am thinking of relocating to the Portland area and would love to hear other people's opinions of the area. Do you like it? The best place to live? How do you deal with the rain? Does it depress you? How can you stand being so far away from Disneyland??? Thanks guys!

Re: Any MCers in Oregon?

Several Northwest states are represented:

http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ight=Northwest

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I hope some of them turn up here and comment about OR!!!

Comment

I lived in the Portland area (Beaverton) six years ago. It's a beautiful city filled with very friendly and hearty people. The rain takes some getting used to and it helps if you are in the right frame of mind to deal with it. I had a rough time with it as I moved there in October from sunny Arizona and I just couldn't ever get adjusted. It's a great place though if you can handle the rain and not allow it get you down.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

My brother lives in Oregon (Beaverton area) and loves it. He moved up there over 20 years ago, and there's no way he would ever move. Everytime he comes down to California, he hates it now and thinks Disneyland is it's only redeeming value .

If I had to move somewhere, I think I would move to Oregon too. But, I love rain, so that would be a bonus for me.

Comment

thanks for the input! I think we will like it. It is soooo scary! We do love those rainy days and always wish we could cuddle up at home instead of going to work. I figure in OR, the likelihood of being home for a rainy day is higher. LOL I am terrified that I will get depressed from all the rain. But I guess we will see. I can't stand thinking about being so far from Disneyland...arg. I thought 5 hours was long...yikes.

Comment

I must admit I can't stand the rain and have lived here since 1985. I cope by visiting sunny locations like DL or WDW every year.

Comment

I grew up in Portland and lived there until about 1 year ago. I loved how easy it was to get around by foot, bike, or bus. I didn't even own a car for most of the time I was there. I would probably still be there if it wasn't for the weather. The cold and rain was bad enough, but even worse were the endless days of gray skies. I finally moved to Arizona and am much happier.

With prices they way they are I don't know if flying to DL is in your budget but that's how I coped. It was only a 2 or 3 hour flight depending on whether or not there were any stops.

Are you thinking about moving to Portland just for a change of scenery or something like work or school? There are many great parts of Portland and several not so great. They are all mixed together in all different areas of town. The last four years I was there, I lived in St. Johns, which is a neighborhood in north Portland. It was an easy bike commute to work. The area was, and probably still is, in the middle of a renaissance.

If you're single (or at least without child), and can afford it, I would say look at a condo in the Pearl District. It's one of the newest and trendiest parts of town. Lots of nightclubs and restaurants, but not a lot in the way of family fun.

Well, I could ramble on but I think you have some idea of what I think of Portland.

Comment

Thank you for the input! I hope the rain doesn't get us too down! We are moving basically because the cost of living in CA and esp the Silicon Valley is ridiculous. We are keeping our condo down here so if we really hate it we have something to come back to. Feel free to ramble as long as you want. All the imput is VERY interesting. I have learned a lot!

Comment

I absolutely love Portland, unfortunately I only have 3 days left in Portland.
                    Here's a few things to mention. Lots of beggars and street musicians. LOT'S of ex-hippies, and stoners, and no one really seems to care.

The saturday markets are fun to check out, I would give them a look. Also Portland has a wide variety of fine dining restaurants. For a cheap but nice meal, check out Bleu at Western Culinary institute on 10th and Morrison. A 5 course lunch will run you about $20 a person, and 5 course dinner $25. All proceeds go to the school, and all food is made by students. I just got done at the school, and now am going to Disney World for my externship.

Comment

In case you want to look at some pictures, CinderellaPrincess posted a trip report on her trip to Portland a few months ago:

http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ort-98981.html

Comment

I am coming to OR guys!!! We are moving on the 20th I think. I am so excited, but really nervous and stressed at the same time. It is so much change and so much to do!!! I am going to miss a lot about CA, ESP DISNEYLAND of course!!! but I think we will be happy in OR. I think I will basically be nauceaus for the next 2 weeks!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X