This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Fe 3751 - a BIG steam engine

For all you Disneyland Railroad buffs, I thought you'd like these photos. Yesterday, Santa Fe 3751 was in town. It was having electrical trouble and was stopped on tracks near me, so I raced down and got some photos! What a gorgeous piece of machinery! Those drive wheels are over 6 1/2 feet tall! It was just... wow!! Photos are a little washed out because the sun was directly behind it.

Re: Santa Fe 3751 - a BIG steam engine

That is a lot of steel and iron man! Wow... great photos! Thanks for sharing.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Awseome, Mojave! Now maybe you can understand just a bit why Walt was fascinated by trains! And why the four Disneyland engines Walt owned were all named for executives of the mighty Santa Fe.

Comment

Oh, I totally understand Walt's fascination with trains - seeing this amazing engine just reinforced it.

I realize that engines this size are not practical for the DLRR, but having one of these back in Big Thunder Ranch in a roundhouse would be awesome. I know the engineers at Disneyland have more than enough to keep them occupied, but I bet they'd jump at a chance to maintain an engine like this. For historical purposes alone (Walt and Ward, etc), Disneyland should promote refurbishing and maintaining old great engines. Of course the lawsuits over hearing loss that would be filed by guests when the whistles are blown and steam vented, would be ridiculous.

Comment

I love seeing that engine at the Fullerton Railroad Days... really brings back the glory days of the Iron Horse.

Comment

Very, very nice. My old fascination with locomotives briefly stirs within me... :gladsad:

Comment

Thanks in large part to Steve and fo'c's'le and several others on here... I've taken an interest in model railroading. Haven't started anything yet, but am seriously considering adding this to my list of hobbies. And the photo of this engine isn't helping me fight the urge any.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

About an hour after the photos were taken and it had backed up to pick up passengers in Old Town (San Diego), it came racing through doing about 30mph, I'd say. Check out how many great old passenger cars it is pulling too! (With a little help from some extra engines)

Santa Fe 3751 in San Diego - 9/21/2008

Comment

Very cool. If you're ever in Pomona you should check out the preservation society on the LA County Fairgrounds. They have the largest diesel locomotive ever built and one of the largest steam engines ever built, the Southern Pacific "Big Boy."
                  The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
                    They have the largest diesel locomotive ever built and one of the largest steam engines ever built, the Southern Pacific "Big Boy."
                    I believe credit belongs where credit is due: it was the Union Pacific Big Boy!:lol:
                    "They's two B's in basketball!"

Comment

Great pics. That's a big train
                      Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
                      Golly, what a day

Comment

Found this while looking at the various youtube links:

YouTube - Santa Fe 3751.....In The Cab
                        SEMPER ABSURDA

Comment

Originally posted by Brer Bear View Post
                          I believe credit belongs where credit is due: it was the Union Pacific Big Boy!:lol:
                          You are correct. I was thinking of another large articulated locomotive.
                          The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

Up here in NorCAL; one of our most memorable Steam Engines is the old Southern Pacific 2472 which after being retired in the late 1950's became a static display at the County Fairgrounds for many years (they used to let kids climb on it during the County Fair - so I used to do just that). In the late 1970's they were redoing a lot of the fairgrounds, so they were looking to unload the old 2472. Fortunately, the Golden Gate Railroad Museum was looking for some projects to work on - so they took and restored this old engine to working order. I had the opportunity to ride on a special train this past Labor Day (along the old Union Pacific Niles Canyon Railroad) - and it was a blast riding on a train being pulled by that venerable old engine.

Stew

Comment

We need info on when she's coming back or where we can see here now. I would have liked to have gotten to see her in person, but alas I did not find out about it until I read this thread.
                              SEMPER ABSURDA

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X