This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice!

I'm a seinor in high school in Phoenix and I am looking forward to graduating and heading off to college. I've done a lot of research on colleges, but have hit a snag. My dream is to major in film (possibly minor in audio production) and go to USC or UCLA. I have discovered from many sources that to get in, you have to be a resident, or have a 4.5 gpa haha. I have a good gpa, but i'm not a genius haha. Anyways I think I am going to go to a California Community college for two years so I can claim residency and have a better chance of getting in. Here's what I'm asking: Do any of you have a suggestion of where I should go? I'm looking for one with an exceptional film program, and need help. I'd prefer one in the LA area, but any would be fine.

Thanks in advance

Re: Need Some Advice!

The community colleges I know are:

Santa Barbara City College <--Santa Barbara (2 hours North of L.A. Area)

Allan Hancock College - Start Here-Go Anywhere
    http://www.hancockcollege.edu/Default.asp?Page=1000
    <--Santa Maria, Lompoc, Vandenberg, Solvang. (2.5 - 4 hours north of LA area) (Nice, small town area)
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Chapman University in the city of Orange also has a good film program too, from what I understand. I honestly don't know much about it other than I've heard that it's good. I am sure you can research it enough on your own to decide whether or not it is a good choice. The best thing I know about this school in general is that it is only a 10 minute drive to Disneyland!

Chapman and USC are both private Universities and therefore very expensive. UCLA is a state run school, but out of state tuition is very high and can almost be the same as going to a private University. Even if you maintain legal residency in California for two years the University of California is going to go over your employment records, tax returns, and pay stubs with a fine tooth comb before granting you status as a California resident. I know this because I have a friend who was going to UC Irvine (in the same system as UCLA) and he had a very tough time convincing the University of California of his residency even though he had been employed full time in California for over 2 and half years.

So not good news for sure. But if you follow your dreams and don't take no for an answer you should be very successful.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

4.5? Ok when I was in school the highest you could get was 4.0. When did that change?

Comment

Well with Honors and AP classes you can push it to that. One of my friends graduated with a 4.3 and he wasnt even top of his class

Comment

I took all honors and AP classes. The guy who was our valedictorian was the smartest guy in school and his GPA could only go as high as 4.0. This all must have changed in the last 15+ years.

Comment

Maybe. I know that in my school district (Peoria) you can only get 4.0 because it is a weighted grade, but at the main arizona district (Deer Valley) its not weighted. Its a confusing system, and pretty dumb haha

Comment

Yeah no kidding. I guess it varies by state/school district. They should just have one system across the board. Less confusing.

Anyhow, I wanted to go to USC too back in the day (1991-92). I was going to major in journalism and they have a really good journalism school there. My ACT score was good enough (we weren't required to take the SAT) and I had the grades. But it was like $300 just to apply and I couldn't get financial aid because they said my dad made too much money. WTF?! I was the one who had to pay for my college education, he wasn't. :blink:

Comment

Just throwing this out here but did know that ASU has a newerish Film School?

> > / / ASUFilm.com
                    sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X