X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Socializing Teaches Teens

By TAMAR LEWIN
    Published: November 19, 2008
    Good news for worried parents: All those hours their teenagers spend socializing on the Internet are not a bad thing, according to a new study by the MacArthur Foundation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/us...er&oref=slogin

Re: Internet Socializing Teaches Teens

Comment

I expect it out of the teens. It's the creepy adults like me that are disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
        I expect it out of the teens. It's the creepy adults like me that are disturbing.
        I've decided to stalk your profile page. I hope you notice.

Comment

I will patrol MC teen scene...in the name of research.
          Originally posted by Grumpee
          I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

I fail to see how learning to type things like
            "hey ... hm. wut to say? iono lol/well I left you a comment ... u sud feel SPECIAL haha"
            does anything to encourage LITERACY. That's my biggest complaint about the abbreviated way everyone is learning to communicate. It was part of my mom's reasoning when she decided to retire from teaching after 25 years. She was tired of reading history essays with huge spelling errors that were based upon texting/messaging abbreviations.

Oh, the article was kind enough to provide this translation for those that didn't read it:
            Hmm ... what to say? I don’t know. Laugh out loud. Well I left you a comment ... You should feel special.
            I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
            then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

:love:

Comment

is that a good thing?

Comment

Originally posted by tinkermonkey View Post
                I fail to see how learning to type things like does anything to encourage LITERACY. That's my biggest complaint about the abbreviated way everyone is learning to communicate. It was part of my mom's reasoning when she decided to retire from teaching after 25 years. She was tired of reading history essays with huge spelling errors that were based upon texting/messaging abbreviations.

Oh, the article was kind enough to provide this translation for those that didn't read it:
                I 100% agree. I fail to see how typing and internet talking like that helps prepare kids for the real world. Sure, I wrote shorthand when I was taking notes in class in college to get everything I needed written, but never for anything that I turned in. Not even in high school.
                Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

Originally posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
                  I 100% agree. I fail to see how typing and internet talking like that helps prepare kids for the real world. Sure, I wrote shorthand when I was taking notes in class in college to get everything I needed written, but never for anything that I turned in. Not even in high school.
                  You know what makes me feel really old? When I was in high school we didn't have these abbreviations. Seriously, I think the only ones we had were BRB and A/S/L? I wouldn't write those in an essay though...Although now that I'm in nursing everything is abbreviated and it's all medical abbreviations in every day life. Drives people nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkermonkey View Post
                    I fail to see how learning to type things like does anything to encourage LITERACY.:
                    Originally posted by Joshrzmeup View Post

I blame the evil "Phonics Learning To Read" system! It's what started the deadly spelling disease!

Last edited by Mad Madame Momba; 11-20-2008, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X