Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gender roles in your household?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gender roles in your household?

    I've been thinking (a dangerous pastime, I know) about the specific gender roles in relationships and households, and I was amused to find in our home, there's definitely 2 categories: Man stuff and woman stuff.

    Man stuff consists of taking out the trash, minor repairs,calling the cable company, killing spiders and what-not.

    Woman stuff includes cleaning up, keeping track of what we need at the store, replacing the hand soap in the kitchen and the like.

    So how about you? In your household or relationship, what constitutes man stuff and what constitutes woman stuff?
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

  • #2
    Re: Gender roles in your household?

    Well, since I live alone, I do everything. The cats sometimes help with the bug tracking/killing though, but I got these ultrasonic bug/pest repellers now and they're keeping the creepy crawlers away.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Gender roles in your household?

      We have almost reversed roles in some things - my husband is a better cook, so he does that. And he gets kind of obsessive about cleaning - although we do share that responsibility - he probably does more. He is a jack of all trades and fixes and tinkers - I call repairmen, make doctors appts, etc. He does the books and bills, I handle most of the kids school and sports stuff.
      sigpic
      Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Gender roles in your household?

        Yeah, there are some specific man/woman stuff in our household too.

        Similar things like Trash, spiders, bugs, lawn stuff, etc are man things.

        Other things like Dishes, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning, etc fall to both of us. Moreso me this last year with Belle's back.

        In fact, I can't really think of anything that is strictly a "Woman" thing in the house.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Gender roles in your household?

          Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
          In fact, I can't really think of anything that is strictly a "Woman" thing in the house.
          :blush: Honestly, we don't have a lot of "woman" things around here, either. And that suits me just fine.
          Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Gender roles in your household?

            Being a two man household, common gender roles were out the window. We've each taken to what each does best and split the chores that neither wish to do.

            I handle all car-issues and I love a clean house (is that a male or female role, I can never tell).

            He's a DIY guy and fixes the house and pays the bills. But he detests how I do laundry (I'm a press-n-fold and separates, he's a lump-sum kinda guy) so I let him do that.

            We both cook. We both shop. We are a couple, after all.

            If that makes any sense. I'm of the thought that gender roles are more of a creation of oppression then a mere division of responsibilities...so, in the end, do what you want as a couple. And if anyone has troubles with it...they can take it up with me.

            Peace,
            Roo
            husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Gender roles in your household?

              I live alone, so I guess I do both. However, even when I did cohabitate with persons of the female gender we didn't follow the stereotypical gender roles. For example, I enjoy cooking and do so better than any of my exes, so that task was always mine. I think it's not so important which jobs you each do, but more that you each do your fair share so that neither feels like they're getting stuck doing everything.



              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Gender roles in your household?

                Originally posted by Roo719 View Post
                . I'm of the thought that gender roles are more of a creation of oppression then a mere division of responsibilities...
                I never thought of it that way. :unsure: I guess it could be seen as such, but I personally enjoy those roles, and don't find them oppresive at all. :blush:
                Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Gender roles in your household?

                  Mom does dishes in the morning, I do the vaccuming. I cook most of the time, sometimes the bf does it even tough he doesn't live with us. He likes to cook and clean, it's nice. All I have to do is learn to clean lol. I'm good at cooking and baking, not so much on the clean up part.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Gender roles in your household?

                    We are sorta backward in the "traditional" man and woman things.

                    My hubby is a far better cook, so, he cooks.

                    I LOVE to mow and trim the bushes outside, so, I mow and trim. (Yet, the backyard is WAY bigger, so, he handles that.)

                    Either takes out trash. Whoever finds it full...takes it out. I will kill bugs as quick as he will. I'm not one of those girly girls who freaks out at ths sight of a spider.

                    I do the laundry and cleaning, mostly because I am obsessive about it, growing up in a military home!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Gender roles in your household?

                      AXIOM: My partner pointed out something interesting--the dog and her recognized roles of the the two of us. She's a pack animal and, as studies have shown, they see us as very ugly parts of her pack. However, since we make the rules, we're the alpha male and alpha female.

                      And her response was interesting: Since I'm the one home in the summer, does most of the feeding, caring of wounds and trips to the vet--I've become the alpha female. My partner, who doesn't have as much interaction with her, for some reason, has developed into an alpha male. The responses are in accordance. If I'm sick and at home, she follows me and will not leave me alone. If my partner were to raise his voice at me (in jest, trust me), she barks and snaps at him. When she feels sick, she cowers at my feet and expects me to make her well.

                      Facinating.

                      Peace,
                      Roo

                      PS: Gack! Just saw your response. I hope I didn't insult!
                      Last edited by RooBear; 01-04-2009, 04:57 PM.
                      husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Gender roles in your household?

                        Ummmm lets see... I guess ours are pretty normal. I like our set up, it was just kind of about who cares most about stuff... Example.. I notice dust and he doesn't, so I dust..

                        We both cook and bake, but I do it more and I do most things a bit better.. most of his cooking is from a box of some kind, but I appreciate it all the same.

                        We both do dishes, but I do them more

                        We both do laundry, but I do more of it (He likes to do whites and delicate loads, I do the rest)

                        He sweeps, vacuums (about 2-3 times a week I SWEAR)

                        He Mows

                        I do all bathroom cleaning, rug shampooing, mopping, dusting... come to think of it I do all "chemical cleaning"...

                        We take turns grocery shopping, but I am the one who always knows if we are low on soap or things like that.

                        Childcare is 50/50

                        He does garbage duty unless he is out of town that week

                        I clean the refrigerator out, throw out the old food and wipe it down... I am really picky about a clean refrigerator for some reason
                        Last edited by LLEBREKNIT; 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Gender roles in your household?

                          Originally posted by Roo719 View Post
                          AXIOM: My partner pointed out something interesting--the dog and her recognized roles of the the two of us. She's a pack animal and, as studies have shown, they see us as very ugly parts of her pack. However, since we make the rules, we're the alpha male and alpha female.

                          And her response was interesting: Since I'm the one home in the summer, does most of the feeding, caring of wounds and trips to the vet--I've become the alpha female. My partner, who doesn't have as much interaction with her, for some reason, has developed into an alpha male. The responses are in accordance. If I'm sick and at home, she follows me and will not leave me alone. If my partner were to raise his voice at me (in jest, trust me), she barks and snaps at him. When she feels sick, she cowers at my feet and expects me to make her well.

                          Facinating.

                          Peace,
                          Roo

                          PS: Gack! Just saw your response. I hope I didn't insult!
                          No insult taken, I promise. I welcome all opinions, I'm fascinated by all the different takes. I recognize that not everybody here on MC has the traditional male/female family, and even when they do, not everybody falls into the stereotypical or "traditional" roles. And :lol: about your dog!

                          And, I so totally am one of those girls. I can't stand spiders or creepy crawlies of any sort. They freak me out something fierce.
                          Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Gender roles in your household?

                            Originally posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
                            I do the laundry and cleaning, mostly because I am obsessive about it, growing up in a military home!
                            Okay, we do have laundry issues - that's the one thing that I forbid my husband to do. I really hate my shirts and pants being dried in the dryer - he doesn't care. He also washes dish towels with clothes and I just think that's nasty.

                            So, I did lay down the law - the laundry is my job. Although, I won't iron his clothes. I did once when we were first married, and not more than 5 minutes after I ironed one of his shirts - he re-ironed it. So, I don't do that anymore!
                            sigpic
                            Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Gender roles in your household?

                              Originally posted by sunnygirl View Post
                              I've been thinking (a dangerous pastime, I know) about the specific gender roles in relationships and households, and I was amused to find in our home, there's definitely 2 categories: Man stuff and woman stuff.

                              Man stuff consists of taking out the trash, minor repairs,calling the cable company, killing spiders and what-not.

                              Woman stuff includes cleaning up, keeping track of what we need at the store, replacing the hand soap in the kitchen and the like.

                              So how about you? In your household or relationship, what constitutes man stuff and what constitutes woman stuff?
                              My mom does all of that (with my help - but I leave the spider-killing to her or my dad).

                              Dad deals with computer stuff, fixing things (when he doesn't get distracted and tries to totally re-do it), and cable tv stuff (like fixing the dvr, etc). He can't even cook bacon without burning it to a crisp because he gets distracted by something then another thing, then another thing...
                              Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X