Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"A Service Of Memory" for Thomas Chaney (with pics)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A Service Of Memory" for Thomas Chaney (with pics)

I present these pictures with as little commentary as possible, saving my own thoughts until the end.

(Dustysage is about to enter the chapel with Sir Clinksalot speaking to - I believe - Fishbulb.)

"God is Love, and he that dwelleth in Love dwelleth in God and God in him"

(Tom's wife Victoria)

(Tom's stepdaughter - please forgive me, I have forgotten her name)

(Charlie "Circarama" - the very first person I saw upon arriving!)

(The "Court of Freedom" and statue of George Washington not far from the interment site)

"To Those I Love, To Those Who Love Me"

When I am gone, release me, let me go.
    I have so many things to see and do.
    You mustn’t tie yourself to me with tears,
    Be happy that we had so many years.
    I gave you my love, you can only guess
    How much you gave to me in happiness.
    I thank you for the love you have shown
    But now it’s time I travel on alone.
    So grieve awhile for me, if grieve you must
    Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
    It’s only for a little while that we must part,
    So bless the memories within your heart.
    I won’t be far away, for life goes on.
    So if you need me, call and I will come.
    Though you can’t see or touch me, I’ll be near.
    And if you listen with your heart you’ll hear
    All of my love around you soft and dear.
    And then, when you must come this way alone
    I’ll greet you with a smile and "Welcome Home."

Thomas I. Chaney was laid to rest on a beautiful, windswept day in Glendale, California on January 10, 2009.

Several dozen of his closest friends and relatives came to pay their respects. MiceChatters were in evidence with TikiRoomLiz, California Adventurer, Steamboat Pete, of course Dusty, Fishbulb, Sir Clinksalot, Circarama and yours truly among others in attendance.

The sharing from the pulpit was, as you might imagine, like Thomas I. Chaney himself - warm, sweet and at times humorous.

Circarama shared about how many lives he touched in our "Walt's Warriors" group, sharing about his battle-to-the-last with cancer. He also told of their shared love for Club 33, and things Disney.

In his open casket, Tom had books, a Disneyland ticket book and a "Lily Belle" ticket in evidence.

At the end of the memorial service, we listened to his all-time favorite song - "When You Wish Upon A Star".
    After his interment, we listened, and some even appeared to dance to his favorite Scott Joplin ragtime music.

(Later, many of us made it over to a place called the "Tam O'Shanter" on Los Feliz, in honor of the fact that it was Tom's favorite hangout - and Walt Disney's!)

During the service, I shared about the day at the Ventura County Fair we three shared together, dancing in the dirt of the Grandstand to "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy". And about our mutual love and experiences in radio. As a matter of fact, I made it a point to listen to my Classic Country satellite channel on my drive in from Ventura. I knew that he had spent time with Dolly Parton, and sure enough one of my favorites of hers - "Love Is Like A Butterfly" - came on, and it was like Tom was speaking to me.

Tom Chaney was a special man, loved and respected by so many. I wanted to give you a glimpse, of the beauty and love those of us who were able to attend, experienced in his, and God's name.

-- Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-10-2009, 10:27 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: "A Service Of Memory" for Thomas Chaney (with pics)

Thank you, Barry. I'm sitting here crying for myself, because I won't see him here anymore. For his friends & Victoria, I weep as well. It looks like a lovely ceremony with many dear, dear friends and loved ones in attendance. My heart was there all day as I thought of it off and on from Seattle.

You are already missed in the Walts Warriors and the debate lounge, Tom. In the Warriors I feel I got to know a bit of your soul. You fighting a mighty fight to the end. And, left those of us around you with hope, strength and courage. You left us with so many beautiful gifts.

Mighty fine send off dear Tom Chaney.

Last edited by I Heart Disneyland; 01-10-2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

This thread has got me teary eyed all over again. Looks like he had a beautiful ceremony. His family and friends will be in my prayers, the first year losing someone is always the hardest, but just think, you have another person up there looking out for you.

Comment

Thank you for sharing this with us Barry, for those of us who could not be there in person. It looks like it was a beautiful ceremony.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
        all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Thank you, Barry.

Rest in peace, Tom. We are honored to have known you.
          "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
          raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

That was a wonderful post Barry, thank you. Tom, rest in peace.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Comment

Barry what a beautiful post.. While I may have not known Tom it appears that this man along with so many others here on Micechat was wonderful and well loved... The pictures presented here along with the kind words shows that it was a wonderfully beautiful ceremony... I hope that everyone remembers that we are not mourning death however celebrating a life lived... to its fullest!! For any life should be celebrated to the fullest extent!!!

Comment

Your profound love and respect for the man, as many on the boards share, is in every picture and word. We who did not know this gentleman, know of his honor and passion through the kinds words all have shared here. He will be truly missed.

Thank you so much for sharing these moments for us. It is appreciated.

Peace,
                Roo
                husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Thank you for sharing the moment with us Barry, it is truly appreciated.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Tom's family and friends. He truly left behind a wonderful legacy oh happy memories.

Comment

Classy to the last. So very, very Tom. :gladsad:

Thank you for sharing the photos, Barry. I wish I could have been there as well. What a fantastic tribute.
                    A signature should go here.

Comment

thank you for sharing with those of us who could not (but wish they could have) been in attendance. It looks like it was a truly beautiful ceremony.

Comment

I want to thank everyone for the very nice words. I did my very best to be unobtrusive and respectful of Tom, his family and the moment. Yet I still wanted to capture some images so that you who so respected Tom, yet could not be there, could share in the moment.

It was a very emotional, and in its own way quite beautiful day.

I'd like to thank Victoria, my fellow MiceChatters, (and even Tom himself, according to something he posted some time back) for allowing me to do what little I did to contribute to his legacy.

-- Barry
                        God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Thanks for sharing with us, Barry.
                          MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
                          (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

Thanks for the thread Barry. Wish I could have been there. It's sad to see our friend leave us. He went out in true Disney fashion. Being laid to rest where Walt rests and having a celebration for his life afterwards where Walt celebrated.

Thanks for representing us all who could not be in attendance Barry, and thanks to all the other chatters who did manage to make it to the service.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this with us Barry.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X