This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Abraham Lincoln

200 years ago on this day, our 16th President was born in the state of Kentucky. I never knew the exact city that Lincoln was born in until I just looked it up on the internet.

What facts do you know about our 16th president that you would like to pass along on this, the anniversary of his birth?

Oh yes, Abraham Lincoln was born in Hodgenville, Kentucky.
    BarbaraAnn

Re: Happy Birthday Abraham Lincoln

Today is also Charles Darwin's 200th birthday.

Comment

Today is my mother's birthday too. She was born on Lincoln's bday.....I was born on Reagan's.....and my daughter was born almost to the minute (years after of course) of Kennedy's assassination.

Comment

What facts do you know about our 16th president that you would like to pass along on this, the anniversary of his birth?
        hmmm...I know he asked Robert e Lee to be the Union army's commander, but Lee turned him down.

Comment

I live 40 minutes from his Birthplace and love visiting it ! Plus I'm one inch shorter than he was, I'm 6'3"

Interesting fact: Edwin Booth, John Wilkes Booth's brother, saved Robert Lincoln's, Abe Lincoln's son, life at the Pennsylvania railroad station in Jersey City in the 1860's.

His son, Tad Lincoln, died of Typhoid Fever at the age of 12, while Lincoln was President.

I also heard he could see Civil War battles from the White House.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
            Today is my mother's birthday too. She was born on Lincoln's bday.....I was born on Reagan's.....and my daughter was born almost to the minute (years after of course) of Kennedy's assassination.
            My cousin was born almost to the minute of Kennedy's assassination the day of it. Kinda creepy.

Comment

He was honest? Honest Abe!

Comment

So THAT'S why it's a holiday weekend...

jk jk

Comment

Happy birthday, Link and Chuck!

Comment

I've had so many Great Moments with Mr Lincoln. yuk yuk!

Comment

Even though he was born in a log Cabin, Lincoln Logs were not named after him.

His mother died of milk poisoning after drinking milk from a cow that ate poisonous Mushrooms.

He was born in a small, one room cabin.

Lincoln almost drowned and died in the local spring by his Childhood home in Knob Creek, Kentucky but was rescued by a friend.

Teddy Roosevelt helped lay the first slab of concrete for the Lincoln Birthplace National Park in Hodgensville, Kentucky.

While president, Lincoln had a dog named Fido.

Lincoln had a baby brother, Thomas Jr., who died at the age of three. His brother died when they were living in Knob Creek, Kentucky.

Want to see pictures of the cabin he was born in and the Abe Lincoln Birthplace National Park in Hodgensville, Kentucky? Click the link:

Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site - Photo Gallery (U.S. National Park Service)

Want to see pictures of his childhood home in Knob Creek, Kentucky? Click here:

Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site - Photo Gallery (U.S. National Park Service)

If you ever do want to come down and visit, even though his birthplace and childhood home are part of the same national park,

His birthplace has so much more to offer in Hodgensville. They have movies available to watch in the theatre, you can walk around to see the spring Lincoln almost drowned in, you can see the log cabin he was born in, you can go on trails and picnics, etc.

All you can do at his childhood home in Knob Creek is drive up to it, look at it, then go back on your merry way. Nothing much to see or do there.

Knob Creek is also where Lincoln was exposed to slavery because Slaves were periodically marched passed his house in route to Louisville, Nashville, etc.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X