This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is not an April Fool's Joke - 10% cut in pay

Today, I was aware that it was April Fool's Day from the time that I woke up, until my husband arrived home from work. I had heard about some terrible virus that might hit the internet, so I stayed off of MiceChat until this evening.

Anyway, I had told myself earlier, that I wouldn't believe any news that my husband arrived home with. I figured he would pull an April Fool's prank on me. The other day, he told me that 5 people at work lost their jobs.

Well he walks in the door, and tells me that they cut his hours. I asked, is this an April Fool's Joke? No, he replies. Bottom line, he has lost 10% of his salary. He figures he will be taking one day off of work every other week. No reason to drive all the way to work if he isn't getting paid for it.

Now, I am thankful that my husband has a job. He makes pretty good money. I will have to redo my budget. Cut back on unnecessary purchases. There will be less money for vacations.

I am just glad he didn't lose his job.

No, it wasn't an April Fool's joke. I wish that it was.
    BarbaraAnn

Re: This is not an April Fool's Joke - 10% cut in pay

I'm sorry to hear that BA. I hope that everything works out okay.

Comment

Im glad he still has a job, many many Americans are now with out work, loosing homes and not doing well making ends meet. its a tough time as I watch the news and see folks living in tents. 10% thats a lucky break Barbarann considering the 5 who did loose there jobs, I feel for everyone who is suffering at this time.
      -------------------------------------------
      I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

Comment

I'm so sorry Barbaraann!! That's such awful news to hear. I'll be praying for you guys!

Comment

It is a common announcement these days. A co-worker of mine is in her 60s and her husband came home with the same news. He's been working at the same place for 35 years. They are just glad he is keeping his job.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear that :squeeze:, but I am glad he does still have a job. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
            Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

:squeeze:
              "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Barbaraann, I am so sorry to hear this news.

My thoughts to you and your family.

At the company I still work for on a very part-time basis, another five full-time very important-role people lost their jobs this month.

And as I am sure is the case at your husband's office, it is no picnic for those left behind.

Where I work, one person now does the job of three or four. My part time job running Dodger games on our local radio station will average, at the start, about two games per week...about four hours per shift, at minimum wage. I do my best to earn my keep as a "house husband".

I am so grateful my wife is working, and for my disability benefits.

"Prosperity is just around the corner"....

-- Barry
                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Barbaraann, that just sucks. I hope things turn around soon and he is back to full $$.
                  sigpic

Comment

Better to lose 10% rather than the whole job... like me. A year later and I'm still looking for work.

Comment

I'm sorry Barbaraann. That is rough news. I suppose the upside is that he still has 90% of a job, but, none of us wants a 10% cut in pay. We live in scary times. Hubby and I are both so grateful to have jobs. And, due to my health problems, I am unable to work full time, so, we are extra grateful for his job.

Comment

Sorry to hear that...
                        Music is my LIFE!!!

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear this!! I have heard a few other scary stories too yesterday.
                          One friend had to foreclose her house and owed over $200 000, and now her house is for sale for $99000.
                          Another friend rang her bank to see about getting a lower interest rate, and her bank said that their policy with inquiries on loan rate is to close the account!!

CRAZY!! when the economy is so bad. You'd think they'd try to help everyone

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                          Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
                          Originally Posted by MWalton
                          :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

Comment

I thank everyone for their wonderful words of support.

My husband will be working less hours, and less hours means less pay. His company is owned by a "holding company". The holding company, is the one that has been cutting back, on employees, and now on these salaries. The fact of the matter is, that my husband's company is making money for them.

My husband drives a long distance to work each day. He spends a lot of money on gasoline. One of those 5 people fired last week was in his car pool, which means he drives more frequently, and that means more gas money. So now my husband would rather take one day off every other week rather than drive the extra day. This latest bombshell was dropped late in yesterday's work day, so the specifics have yet to be worked out, as to how those less hours will be distributed.

I have always had the luxury of not having to work. My husband has always made good money. We don't have a luxurious lifestyle, but it has been a comfortable one that has allowed us a few of life's special things as we have gotten older. My husband is 62, so he is nearing retirement age. My sister's husband is also 62, and he was fired from his job just before Christmas last year. He is collecting unemployment, and has no leads on a new job. My sister is now the major bread winner in what used to be a two income house.

So things could be worse. It's a time for tightening the belts. I remember the days, when we lived paycheck to paycheck. There wasn't any extra money. Now, we at least have some savings, and can pay our bills, with a little left over. Again, I am glad for the paycheck, and my heart goes out to those who don't have one.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                              I
                              So things could be worse. It's a time for tightening the belts. I remember the days, when we lived paycheck to paycheck. There wasn't any extra money. Now, we at least have some savings, and can pay our bills, with a little left over. Again, I am glad for the paycheck, and my heart goes out to those who don't have one.
                              Excellent attitude Barbaraann!! :bow:

Right now I am just grateful for the paycheck that I can live paycheck to paycheck on! (Oh, that was such bad grammar! )

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X