This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "feeling old" moment

I was subbing a class today and they were supposed to continue watching the video they had started the previous class. Easy right? Well except for that first 10 minutes or more where you have to search through the tape to find where they left off. as we battle the constant stopping, starting, rewinding, fast forwarding all amid cries of "we saw this part already" and "go back a little, you missed it", the kid who was manning the VCR blurts out "I hate VCRs! DVD players are so much easier!" We all know it's true. Everyone finally agrees on a spot and we settle in to watch. As I sit back in my comfy teacher chair , i begin thinking about the events that have just transpired. I too get annoyed with searching through the VCR tape, but then I get a moment of nostalgia....

Remember when the films we viewed in school were actually FILMS? When there was a projector and everybody wanted to be the special kid selected to run it? I certainly don't miss those days, but they did provide some good memories. I can still think back fondly on going down to the library as a class and watching The Hobbit (obviously where my love of Tolkein began), and who can forget endless viewings of The Lorax in Science class. Aaahhhh memories....

Originally posted by Xharryb
    Remember when the films we viewed in school were actually FILMS? When there was a projector and everybody wanted to be the special kid selected to run it?
    I was lucky enough to experience these. I was in second grade when they stopped using them. The funny thing with the projectors was that on occasion they would go crazy and spit the film everywhere.

Comment

I remember those films! With the warped sound and scratches all over them, talking about things that might happen in the future that had REALLY happened still before I was born. There was one film that I watched that was talking about how Hawaii might become a state.
      "Do it for me then. Your gaming buddies are going to be there too. It will be good for you kids to go out and blow the stink off yourselves for one night."

"Fine. For you. And for the eradication of stink."

Comment

I miss all the Jiminy cricket movies..."I'm no fool no sir-ee, I'm gonna live to be 103..."

anyone know where I could find those now?

(probably almost as good even without the whir of the projector and the flip,flip,flip at the end)
        procrastibating

Comment

didn't they release those on DVD for schools to use.. (Teachers at my school have to buy their own DVD playres.... but the school only owns 3 DVD playres... and own about 150 educationsl DVDs... (while the treachers go out and buy/rent the rest....)

I don't miss VCRs.... we still sometimes use them,... and are a pain in the butt....

Comment

Here's a feeling old moment:
            My younger sister who is 22 years old asked me who Yoda was the other day.

Comment

I'm 18 and i know star wars.....

Comment

I was in Las Vegas and I decided to indulge myself and take in Elton John at the Colosseum in Caesars Palace ($100 well spent, let me tell you) and in the middle of the show I thoughht that he was as good as he was when I saw him at the Troubadour in 1975 which was almost 30 years ago oh my God...

--t
                Another refugee from Yertle's stack o' turtles.

Comment

I am old enough to remember film strip projectors. We started using video tape in 1969.
                  >>Alan<<
                  Member 216

Comment

Whats a VCR?

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                      Here's a feeling old moment:
                      My younger sister who is 22 years old asked me who Yoda was the other day.
                      GASP!!!
                      I read this and almost choked on my Diet Coke!

Comment

I remember those film stips... the little bell sound on the tape that told you when to move to the next frame. How about those wonderful mimeograph pages... ah... the smell of mimeo ink in the morning. Or the giant opaque projectors, where the teacher would put something, like an open book in it and project the image onto a screen. Yup, old enough to remember the joys of the 60's and 70's, but still young enough to rock out!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                        all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Someone asks you "How long You been married?"
                          1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

They **** their head to the side and say, what's an 8 track? Or how about an 8 inch data disk.
                            >>Alan<<
                            Member 216

Comment

I have to admit, I was an A-V geek!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X