This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever lived in your car?

It's what I'll be doing soon. It's a long story. Basically my mom had been out of work for a few months, so my uncle suggested we rent a house with my grandma so she'd save money by not being in her alzheimers home. The deal was that grandma would pay bills and rent so long as we took care of her. So this arrangement worked from January up until last week when she got really ill and her dementia progressed to the point where her doctor sent her back to a home. My mom is now back to looking for a job but we can't afford the rent on this house so we have to move back to an apartment. Unfortunately mom doesn't make 3 times the rent even if I help out and work full time, so an apartment won't let us in without a cosigner. Uncle refuses to cosign even though we will be homeless. It's a tricky confusing situation. I wish the landlords would lower our rent to something we could afford but I doubt they would if I asked. Basically my mom said we will move our belongings into storage and live in our cars. I have friends I can go stay with but my mom doesn't, so I feel like I'm stuck. Plus we also have two dogs and a cat that I don't know what will happen to them. I feel so lost and hopeless. I just wondered if anyone had any advice for living in the car and what I can do with my pets. I'm a college student but the semester is over the end of May so I will just work as much as possible I guess and sleep in my car. My mom has health issues so it's going to be hard.
    Last trip to Disneyland: 04/06/09
    Next trip to Disneyland: 04/23/09
    Visits in 2009: 13
    Last trip to DisneyWorld: 01/04/09-01/09/09
    Next trip to DisneyWorld: ?

Re: Ever lived in your car?

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I think you should ask the landlord to lower the rent, even if you don't think he would. It never hurts to ask. Could you be the cosigner for the apartment? If you have a job..it should be fine. Maybe, you could find some information out about low cost housing. I think just about every city has it, and rent is adjusted to how much you make. It's definately something to look into. Esp. if your mother has health issues.

I will be praying for you...and hope for the best.

Comment

I'm going to work up the courage and ask the landlord about lowering rent, afterall this house was paid for decades ago so all the rent is profit for him. I can't cosign because even with my income combined with my mom's we still would probably barely make three times the rent which is the standard requirement.

Comment

That's terrible! I'm sorry this is happening to you. I would ask your landlord to lower the rent and maybe in return you could do him favors such as yard work (ect.) Until you can get on your feet, you should maybe consider going to a Good Sams Shelter or a homeless shelter in your area that can house you until you can get everything settled. As for your animals, I know there are usually homes in your community that may be willing to house them for you for a while - check with your local shelters about this, maybe they can help. Good luck, you'll be in my prayers.
        "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Oh, that's a good idea, PS. Maybe a local shelter has a foster program for animals of people in dire circumstances. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure something is availiable.

Definately ask your landlord. And, like PS said...maybe you can supplement your rent by doing his yard...or oddjobs around the rental house.

Comment

Yeah I'm going to suggest we do the yardwork and they can get rid of the gardener. I'm willing to do alot if they'd lower rent.

Anyone know of any local to Disneyland places that are hiring? I'll do anything. I'm even applying to Disneyland.

Comment

I've lived in my car a few times in my life, but I referred to it as 'Urban Camping' in Los Angeles.

Being a beach bum in an old VW micro bus in San Diego.

I'm glad for the experience but don't recommend it to anyone

Comment

Originally posted by sailerm View Post
                I've lived in my car a few times in my life, but I referred to it as 'Urban Camping' in Los Angeles.

Being a beach bum in an old VW micro bus in San Diego.

I'm glad for the experience but don't recommend it to anyone
                Honestly, the idea of living in my car doesn't bother me. It's my mom I worry about. I want her in a home because she has medical issues, she's 45 she deserves a place to live. I just want her to be able to have a home to live in. I could care less if I am living in my car and working to death, I don't matter.

Comment

I am so sorry that you are going thru this. I am keeping you in my thoughts. Please keep us informed and if there is anything we here at MC can do please ask.

Comment

Have you tried to find someone looking for roommates? Or checked into low cost housing from the town or city you live in? Esp. if she has medical issues, therem ight be some provisions.

As for jobs, checks Craigslist. A good place to find retail and hourly type jobs is snagajob.com.

Good luck!
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I'm so sorry you have to go through this!
                      You should look into Section 8-Section 8 Rental Voucher Program - HUD which is a low cost housing vouchers. Look into social service and try to get some public assistance, maybe even some in home support service (IHSS) for your mother's health issues.

Good Luck

Comment

HUD has an 8 year waiting list, we've been on it for 4 years now. I'm currently searching through craigslist for places to stay, guest houses, cheap apartments, heck even a large room in someone's house. Talking to my landlord later on about our rent and what they can do.

Comment

I lived in my car once with my 2nd husband and I can tell you it isn't fun. I ended up getting very sick from the whole thing. You should talk to the landlord and look into shelters and such like the others suggested. Also your mom should talk to someone at the welfare department to see if she can get money from them.

Just like Stitchy I will be praying for you as I will be out of an apartment myself soon and will be staying with family for a short time until I can recoup.
                          Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

Comment

Best of luck to you. I've had the good fortune of always having a roof over my head.

Comment

This is one of those threads that you read, and you really don't have a good answer to the question. However, I wish you all the luck in the world, and hopefully, you can work something out that will mean that your car doesn't become your home.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X