This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo 11 Plus Forty

Many of us were not lucky enough to experience it the first time around but I urge everybody to keep their eyes for the many events covering the 40th anniversary of man landing on the moon.

The net has tons of coverage including a minute by minute reenactment at We Chose The Moon

CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc all plan to have extensive coverage over the weekend.
    40 years ago tonight, the world held its breath as a countdown began.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGHAJNLcClk&feature=related]YouTube - Apollo 11 launch[/ame]

God Bless Them.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Re: Apollo 11 Plus Forty

I was around and I remember it clearly. It was a really big deal to watch them land on the moon. Really big. It's hard for me to believe that 40 years have passed. Sigh.
    sigpic

Comment

I was around too! I was 8 years old at the time. Time goes WAY too fast.

Comment

and @Apolloplus40 is tweeting the launch and flight in simulated real time
        The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

Comment

Moon Landing 40 years ago.

Haunted Mansion opened 40 years ago.

Is that why Disneyland it going to be "Celebrating" Ghosts in Space Mountain, this fall?
          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Here is another realtime tracker that is flash based:

We Choose the Moon: Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar Landing
            Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

How well I remember those days and times.

I had just turned 13 years old that summer.

For personal reasons, it wasn't the greatest summer of my youth.

Nationally and around the world, those were rocky times indeed - events that by comparison make the problems of today seem rather tame by comparison.

This was the one thing that folks just about everywhere could feel good about, that summer.

We were all glued to our TV sets. The TV universe then spanned maybe as many as seven channels, plus maybe one or two more from something called "UHF".

The actual July 20th lunar landing took place on a Sunday...1:17PM Pacific Time. At my house we watched Walter Cronkite and CBS for all the major events back then.

Then, as twilight time faded into dusk outside our house in Cypress. we watched in awe at 7:56PM Pacific as Neil Armstrong actual set foot on the surface of the moon.

I also recall seeing TV pictures of people gathered in Tomorrowland, taking it all in during a day at Disneyland.
              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                How well I remember those days and times.

I had just turned 13 years old that summer.

For personal reasons, it wasn't the greatest summer of my youth.

Nationally and around the world, those were rocky times indeed - events that by comparison make the problems of today seem rather tame by comparison.

This was the one thing that folks just about everywhere could feel good about, that summer.

We were all glued to our TV sets. The TV universe then spanned maybe as many as seven channels, plus maybe one or two more from something called "UHF".

The actual July 20th lunar landing took place on a Sunday...1:17PM Pacific Time. At my house we watched Walter Cronkite and CBS for all the major events back then.

Then, as twilight time faded into dusk outside our house in Cypress. we watched in awe at 7:56PM Pacific as Neil Armstrong actual set foot on the surface of the moon.

I also recall seeing TV pictures of people gathered in Tomorrowland, taking it all in during a day at Disneyland.
                Great recap Barry. We also watched Cronkite and CBS - was there anyone better to report on major historical events? Nope. We lived in Gardena and I was 20. The late 60's and early 70's were not my favorite times in history but like you said, this made everyone feel good in spite of the turmoil going on in our country and overseas.
                sigpic

Comment

I came around 10 years to late to witness it personally, but I have loved studying and learning about the Apollo years all my life. They are true heroes and adventurers.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Wendygirl View Post
                    Great recap Barry. We also watched Cronkite and CBS - was there anyone better to report on major historical events? Nope. We lived in Gardena and I was 20. The late 60's and early 70's were not my favorite times in history but like you said, this made everyone feel good in spite of the turmoil going on in our country and overseas.
                    We still had black and white TV...didn't get our first color set til a couple of years later.

When they were showing the command module and lunar module in orbit (similar to what you see on the link to the JFK Presidential library site) they would should a very crude (by today's standards) "simulation".

I remember having difficulty at times differentiating between that, and the later, "real" pictures from the lunar surface.

I love being able to follow the conversations between Houston and the crew!

I always felt kind of sorry for Michael Collins...the guy that had to "stay home and babysit"
                    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

It was all on a sound stage you know. Here's proof:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mouUUWpEec0"]YouTube - Proof of moon landing hoax![/ame]

I better take that back before Buzz Aldrin punches me in the face.

Hard to believe it's been 40 years, and we still haven't been back yet. Hopefully around 2014, the Orion project will be the start of many moon missions in the future beyond.

Comment

It's less than two hours now as of this post til the lunar module, the Eagle, touches down in the Sea of Tranquility, and man makes his first landing on the moon!

I'm very excited - following the live audiostream, and reliving the memories! The only thing that would be better would be a video feed with Cronkite and Schirra's coverage on that epic Sunday afternoon and evening!

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post

CBS was also the network of choice in my home growing up as a kid. I was only 3 years old for this first mission, so I don't really remember it first hand. I do remember watching some later Apollo missions. My dad loved to take home movies, so we actually have 8mm film of the family watching the Apollo moon landing ... And unlike NASA we still have the original film footage.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X