Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got layed off today :(

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I got layed off today :(

    So I got hired at the office my mom works at, by her boss who was good friends with her. I started there about 5 months ago. I was a file clerk and it was really busy because it's a loan servicing/foreclosure servicing company, so I had plenty to do. For a 21 year old it was pretty decent pay and I had great hours and I loved my coworkers so much. Then all of the sudden I get the foreclosure filing caught up and same with the loan servicing filing. Then all of the sudden today my boss calls me into her office and told me that everything is caught up and they lost 50% of the work so now they have time to file when they needed me before so they had to let me go. I was completely shocked. She said they weren't losing money, but there just wasn't anything for me to do really. So right then I had to clean out my desk and say goodbye to everyone. It was really sad. The good news is she told me that when things pick up again she'll have me back. But now I'm in a panic because I had some trips planned. I'm going to the parks this weekend and I am supposed to go to DC and NYC in the fall...but now unless I find a new job I won't be able to go

    What is your advice for me to find another job? There aren't much office job postings on things like craigslist and job finders and such. Is there another way I could look for a job in an office? I don't want to do retail because I can't afford to be paid $8 an hour...

    I know it's going to be extremely difficult to find a new job especially in this time right now, but does anyone have any tips for me?
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

  • #2
    Re: I got layed off today

    Originally posted by princedalton View Post
    So I got hired at the office my mom works at, by her boss who was good friends with her. I started there about 5 months ago. I was a file clerk and it was really busy because it's a loan servicing/foreclosure servicing company, so I had plenty to do. For a 21 year old it was pretty decent pay and I had great hours and I loved my coworkers so much. Then all of the sudden I get the foreclosure filing caught up and same with the loan servicing filing. Then all of the sudden today my boss calls me into her office and told me that everything is caught up and they lost 50% of the work so now they have time to file when they needed me before so they had to let me go. I was completely shocked. She said they weren't losing money, but there just wasn't anything for me to do really. So right then I had to clean out my desk and say goodbye to everyone. It was really sad. The good news is she told me that when things pick up again she'll have me back. But now I'm in a panic because I had some trips planned. I'm going to the parks this weekend and I am supposed to go to DC and NYC in the fall...but now unless I find a new job I won't be able to go

    What is your advice for me to find another job? There aren't much office job postings on things like craigslist and job finders and such. Is there another way I could look for a job in an office? I don't want to do retail because I can't afford to be paid $8 an hour...

    I know it's going to be extremely difficult to find a new job especially in this time right now, but does anyone have any tips for me?
    I'm currently looking for a job, so I understand.

    First off, if the boss-person thinks positive of you, get a reference letter, and ask if it is okay to use her as a future reference. Hit the papers and register online with Monster.com.

    Follow up.



    Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I got layed off today

      Im so sorry to hear that. I hope you can hang in there. I don't blame you on retail since it is a slave wage job and you are kept under control like some sort of like a dog. I wanna wish you the best on finding a job. think positive. be smart about it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I got layed off today

        The reference letter is excellent and important advice. And hit every job listing site (not just Craigslist) you can find.

        Next, perseverance. It took me over 8 months to land a job, but it is a good one and apparently the one meant for me. Hang in there....

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I got layed off today

          With filing experience check local hospitals. Medical records is always in need of file clerks.
          Katie :yea:
          Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
          :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!








          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I got layed off today

            Collect unemployment, that'll buy you some time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I got layed off today

              Originally posted by aashee View Post
              Collect unemployment, that'll buy you some time.
              Would I even get unemployment? It wasn't a full time job. I go to school part time and work part time...
              *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I got layed off today

                Originally posted by princedalton View Post
                Would I even get unemployment? It wasn't a full time job. I go to school part time and work part time...
                If you were laid off you can certainly apply for it. Depends on if you qualify or not.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I got layed off today

                  Originally posted by princedalton View Post
                  I know it's going to be extremely difficult to find a new job especially in this time right now, but does anyone have any tips for me?
                  Welcome to the club! Keep your chin up, I got laid-off last year (April 2008), and I still haven't been able to find work.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I got layed off today

                    Roo!

                    I'd also try temp agencies. I was lucky to get a new job after I got laid off, it's part time, it's a sucky job and the pay is virtually non-existent, but it brings some money in and I'm building different skills with it. Look for admin type stuff. I found my job on Craigslist
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...


                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I got layed off today

                      Temp agencies are good for squat. I know all too well. Every job I've found over the last 10 years, I've found all on my own.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I got layed off today

                        Maybe some are (I recently had a bad experience with one) but my Yahoo job started with a temp agency, and I got hired full time and worked there for more than 5 years. So sometimes they do work.
                        Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain
                        I knew you'd feel the same things...


                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I got layed off today

                          Originally posted by aimster View Post
                          Temp agencies are good for squat. I know all too well. Every job I've found over the last 10 years, I've found all on my own.
                          I agree with you there! I have gotten SQUAT from placement/temp agencies!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I got layed off today

                            I've had great experiences with Monster.com and temp agencies. Many larger companies won;t hire you outright, you have to come in through a temp agency. Good luck in your search.
                            Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I got layed off today

                              First off, I'm sorry to hear you got laid off. Second, I heard this morning that AAA is hiring in Sales, not sure if you have that kind of experience but if you do then go for it. And last, temp agencies have helped me get the last 3 "years long positions" I've been fortunate to get hired into. Take it with a grain of salt, everyone's experience is different.
                              But the best thing you can do is put yourself out there. Network network network, word of mouth, friends of friends, etc. It's hard out there but remember, it was your mom's friend that got you in that last door. It'll happen again. Chin up!
                              What time is the 3 o'clock parade?




                              http://www.myspace.com/pduliere

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X