This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo vs Cable's DVR?

IDK if it varies with each Cable Company (I have Cablevision) but is there any reason to choose Tivo over your cable companies DVR?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Re: TiVo vs Cable's DVR?

I use Cox's DVR and while it can record two shows at once, you can't watch anything else at the same time. Never used a TiVo before, but I'm sure it's much better than the DVR.

Off-Topic, but there's currently a Las Vegas Showgirl ad popping up when I view this thread,that's not very appropriate for families, thought I'd throw that out there.)
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

Comment

The TiVo interface is superior. Wishlists. With home networking, you can share some content with your computer and download movies from Amazon and Netflix.

I had a cable dvr for three months, and it was often slow to respond to remote commands. Then I switched to a HD TiVo with dual tuner. The only thing the TiVo cannot do is receive "on demand" programming from the cable company.

Instead of renting the dvr from the cable co, I pay TiVo a monthly subscription fee, and I pay a little over a buck to the cable co for the cable cards that allow the TiVo to decode scrambled channels.
      Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
      2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
      2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
      sigpic

Comment

I've had a DVR for several years and have never had any issues with it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

It wouldn't be an HD DVR since I don't have a HD TV (I don't think I do at least).

with TiVo can you watch 1 program and record 2 different ones? I have heard that my cable company's DVR is better than TiVo (which you can watch 1 and tapes 2 w/the cable one) and that is 1 reason why.

But the thought of having to give it back if I move vs. keeping the TiVo "forever" that is hindering my decision. Does TiVo do payment plans?

The monthly cost is the same for the 2, though TiVo ia runig some free months specials.
          Good morning, son
          In twenty years from now
          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
          And I can tell you 'bout today
          And how I picked you up and everything changed
          It was pain
          Sunny days and rain
          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

There are some older series 2 TiVos that have dual tuners, but if you have scrambled channels you have to hook them up to at least one cable box. HD TiVos use cable cards that are installed by the cable company--no cable box required, but no "on demand" either. You can hook up an HD TiVo to a regular TV, and it will downconvert the signal--just like an adapter or cable box. Then if you get an HD TV later, you are good to go.

As for recording two programs at once, your choices are: 1) watch one of the channels being recorded, 2) watch a previously recorded program, or 3) bypass the TiVo and watch a channel directly off the cable.

A feature on the TiVo that I really like that's not available on cable dvr is the "Wishlist" You can choose to record programs based on a keyword, genre, or actor's name or combinations of them. I have a "Carol Burnett" "comedy" wishlist and a "Disney*" "travel" wishlist, for example. The TiVo will seek out and record any program that matches a wishlist, no matter what channel it's on.

There is a monthly service charge for TiVo, or you can pay up front for "lifetime" service. I did that years ago for my first single tuner TiVo that I still use, and TiVo discounts the service charge for my HD TiVo.
            Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
            2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
            2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
            sigpic

Comment

We had a DirectTV deal with tivo for a long time when i was in high school, and loved it. It was our first DVR ever. Then, when we upgraded to HD service, we discovered DTV didn't have the TiVo deal anymore, it had their own in-house DVR. I was actually upset watch the satellite guy install it! I hope my mom kept the TiVo box from them for future use. DTV's DVR turned out to be pretty good, and the tradeoff was that we loved the HD service.
              When I moved here to orange, we got Time Warner cable. We knew we wanted the cable internet, and that the satellite TV would be too much, so we got an internet/tv package, with the HD and DVR from Time Warner.
              So far it's been fine, but I've noticed that I've missed a lot of options from both the TiVo and the DirectTV DVR. For instance, "the list" of recorded shows does not sort itself into folders for each show, like the TiVo does. We cannot watch live TV if 2 shows are recording at once; only something already recorded off the list. TiVo also had 2 live TV tuners, so that you can switch between two shows (like during the ads) without losing the ability to rewind or losing your place, and I really miss that.

Personally, if I can afford it in the future, I would like to have full-on TiVo. Just the way it works is so much more natural and intuitive than anything else i've used (and the TiVo we had with DTV wasn't even the full deal, I don't think. It was a version customised for DTV and combined with the satellite box.
              "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X