X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People shattering your disney dreams?

Hey all,

I figured I'd post this question to you all since I'm sure most of you are either current cast members or have dreams of someday being a part of the Disney magic. Do you or did you ever have problems with people shooting down your dreams of Disney as childish or just plain stupid? Or did people ever make fun of you for it?

"We didn't spend all of that money sending you to school to waste it on some stupid dream."

Just thought I'd get some perspective from people who are at various points in their Disney lives.
    :squeeze: Someday my prince will come...

Re: People shattering your disney dreams?

Originally posted by disneyismylife87 View Post
    Do you or did you ever have problems with people shooting down your dreams of Disney as childish or just plain stupid?
    It's an unfortunate fact of parental physiology that certain of their bodily organs can suddenly cease functioning when you announce you want to follow your dream.

"We didn't spend all of that money sending you to school to waste it on some stupid dream."
    That's right. They didn't. But in time, they'll be glad you decided to pursue your dream.

Just thought I'd get some perspective from people who are at various points in their Disney lives.
    Having been there & done that, I can say there are two steps you must follow when your dreams are getting shot down:

1. Smile pleasantly, remind yourself that you are on a different path than the person shooting you down, and immediately continue pursuing your dream.
    2. Repeat step 1 as needed.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-07-2009, 02:41 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Yep. I'm 13 and that's my dream and my dad is not very pleased. He doesn't think I would ever be able to make it big in the company. But personally that just fuels me to try and do it to prove him wrong. I'm gonna keep following mine!
      "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
      YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
      Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
      (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Comment

Took retiring from my career to pursue my dream.....dreams really do come true!

People thought it odd, but it is MY life and they have learned to live with my decision.
        Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
        it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Originally posted by wolfy View Post
          Took retiring from my career to pursue my dream.....dreams really do come true!
          After seeing how much fun I have on the job, my dad hopes to do the same thing some day!

Contrary to whatever other people might say, the Walt Disney Co. was ranked by Businessweek as the number one company to start a career just a couple of years ago. College Program recruiters will tell you that the Walt Disney Co. is so large they have careers for just about every major. And working for Disney, even just as a cast member in one of the parks, looks incredible on your resume and will help you land jobs elsewhere. So in reality, being a cast member, particularly in the College Program, is actually a great career move.

I've never actually had problems with people shattering my dreams in this regard, but regardless of whether or not this is the case, go for it! If nothing else, take on a cast member role as a summer job. Everyone needs one at some point, and Disneyland is one of the best places to get one! And once you've got your foot in the door, you may even find yourself with a career eventually! It's worth a try!
          Interested in visions fantastic of Disneyland?
          Check out my albums on Flickr by clicking here!

Comment

Well said.....as in any career, it takes time and hard work to move upwards, but IMHO, the wait and work are worth it with Disney.
            Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
            it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Oh yeah, been there. However, while they may be taking aim at your dream and trying to shoot it down... are you going to let them? Or is your dream bulletproof? Only you can make it bulletproof... so don't let anyone shoot down your dream.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dogtherock View Post
                Yep. I'm 13 and that's my dream and my dad is not very pleased. He doesn't think I would ever be able to make it big in the company. But personally that just fuels me to try and do it to prove him wrong. I'm gonna keep following mine!
                Just explain to him that it's a great place for a young person to gain work experience. At 13, it's hard to say where you're going to end up.
                I want my cake back!
                sigpic

Comment

In the same way that no one can make you feel inferior without your consent, no one can shatter your dreams without your help. They are YOUR dreams and while life may occasionally bruise them a little, you created them and no one but you can abandon them.
                  I'm old enough to have realized that you almost never regret the things you did, but almost always regret the things you didn't. Go for it!

Comment

Welcome Disneyismylife!

You know what I don't want to be a cast member because they are really great and I wouldn't want to be the one bad apple (although a nice nursing job at Disneyland... wait no.). But people can't dictate your dreams. It's your life, you have one shot and money doesn't buy happiness... But education does allow more doors to swing open.
                    Last edited by knittingknerd; 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM. Reason: I completely forgot a word!

Comment

When I was a kid, I wanted to work at Disney really bad. Now.... oh no way! Not after I learned how little CM's make. Sorry, but I have to keep a roof over my head and food on the table.

Comment

I've been lucky- my parents were really supportive growing up. And when I found out about the CP after starting college, they were with me all the way. Now I am off living a dream.

I'm sure you will find a way too.
                        Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
                        May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
                        May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
                        May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
                        Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
                        Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
                        May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

Comment

Pursue your dreams with all your passion. Walt did.

In my wide peer group the one thing I noticed is that the MAJORITY, sometime in their forties were examining their lives and wondering what happened - how did they get here? The answer is they chose what they wanted to do based on what would be expected of them rather than what they really wanted to do and striving to make that work.

I bought into what I was told. Don't go into art. If you do your own thing you will starve - the only way to make it is in commercial art and then you will be working on other peoples ideas and soon learn to hate art. I chose to go into computers instead as there would be a sustainable career there. What I found out at age 46 is that I hate working on computers (no I won't fix yours) and that I could actually make money with my art skills. Now, ten years later I am planning to retire from my job and spend the time continuing to create my own works...

I think those who shoot down your dreams don't want you to be successful at it because they can't. The only way they can be higher is if they pull someone else down.

Grab your dreams and run. Work at them every minute like they are the most important thing you own - and you will succeed. You may or may not be the best - but you will succeed.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X