Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Should I change my phone number?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I change my phone number?

I just got a new VOIP (voice over IP) device to save some money on my phone bill, so I have the opportunity to change to a new phone number or pay an extra fee and transfer my old phone number to the VOIP device.

One of the advantages to this is that I will no longer have to deal with annoying toll free calls from creditors looking for my ex and a cousin of mine, who I don't know how they got my number.

The disadvantage is having to notify everyone I know about the new number. I'd also lose the "305" area code and moving to the secondary "786" number.

What should I do?

1) Keep my old number and deal with the annoying calls?
    2) Change numbers and hope the annoying calls don't follow?

Thanks!
    Keep the old phone number and deal with annying calls
    35.71%
    Get a new phone number and don't give it to anyone you don't know
    64.29%

Re: Should I change my phone number?

change your number. Like you said.. gives you the opportunity to prune.

and the people you want to call you, you can easily give them the new number.

Comment

Caller ID.

Don't be a victim, stand tall. Keep your number and avoid burdening your friends w/ having to load in a new # for you on their speed dial.
      Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

Change it.
        Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Keep the number and register with the National Do Not Call List

https://www.donotcall.gov/

And then tell the creditors to take you off their lists as you are not the person they are looking for or you will list a formal complaint with the FTC and the Attorney General for your state.
          Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

Comment

Originally posted by All4dISNEY View Post
            Caller ID.
            Originally posted by Evil Step-Mom View Post
            Keep the number and register with the National Do Not Call List
            Two things that don't work worth a damn CallerID they just put something generic.. and the DNC list is a joke. It's impossible for consumers to really persue abusers. Maybe if a few other hundred thousand people complain, the FTC looks at it. But all the other time you just have to suck it up.

We just have mobile phones now - no real solicitors call.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post

We just have mobile phones now - no real solicitors call.
              Lucky you... Somewhere out there is a chick named Sandra Van Tassel who owes serious money. I know because several of her creditors have called my cell phone on and off for 3 years... I have anew number now and no calls yet.

We are on the DNC too and still have a few telemarketers who call. But there are only a handful of people who call the house phone, and we know their caller ids. We don't pick up the phone for anyone else - if they know us they can leave a message )
              Good morning, son
              In twenty years from now
              Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
              And I can tell you 'bout today
              And how I picked you up and everything changed
              It was pain
              Sunny days and rain
              I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

I have caller ID and an answering machine. I have had the same phone number for over 20 years. Yes, I get telemarketing calls. Yes, I get people who leave messages for people other than me. When my phone rings, if I don't recognize the info on the caller ID, I keep walking. If I don't hear a voice I recognize, or the caller doesn't identify themselves as someone I should pick up for, again I keep walking. It's a necessary fact of life that I screen my phone calls. As far as my cell phone goes. I only pick up calls from people who I know. The caller ID on that phone takes care of that. It's a way different world that we live in these days. Changing a number can be a real pain, but it may provide you with some peace of mind.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                  I have caller ID and an answering machine. I have had the same phone number for over 20 years. Yes, I get telemarketing calls. Yes, I get people who leave messages for people other than me. When my phone rings, if I don't recognize the info on the caller ID, I keep walking..
                  Exactly how we function. If we don't recognize the number or it says, "Out of area" or "Unknown" we don't even go to the phone. The phone is a convenience, not necessary to answer it.

Comment

We ported our line over to the cable company's VOIP service three weeks ago. Using a combination of anonymous call rejection and call screening, we've quieted down our phone considerably during dinner. I'm also able to go online and view the calls that were "missed", so I know how well it's working.

Anonymous call rejection stops calls from callers who block their Caller ID. They get a recording instructing them to unblock if they want to call.

Call screening allows us to block up to 12 individual phone numbers. They get a recording telling them we are not taking calls at this time. I have the three worst offenders on this list, and it's made a big difference.

Another option I'm experimenting with is selective call forwarding. One of my worst offenders is getting forwarded to a non-existent phone number.
                    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
                    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
                    2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
                    sigpic

Comment

anonymous call rejection we found to be ineffective as well. They just put meaningless information in the callerID.. and they get through. But part of my gripe was that we were paying quite a bit extra for this feature, and it just didn't keep the solicitors away.

The phone companies really just don't have the motivation to curb these problems, because it's their customers who are paying big money to have the network to do this stuff.

In my house, the phone always rang, and it was never for me, so I had enough of it and gave my wife her own phone. Now, I never answer her phone, no phone rings from solictors, and when my phone rings, I know pretty sure it's worth answering.

The only solictor blocking methods that work are the call-screening devices. The DNC list is a joke, CallerID is not authoriative and is ineffective to filter based on, and in most cases the phones still ring. Our solution was either, turn off the ringers, and only return voice mails (but then you annoy people that call you) or get rid of the phone all together.

Since we all pay for cell phones anyways, we opt'd to just have mobile phones only. The only negative is not having a land-line for faxing, but there are alternatives for that too.

There are also some handsets now that will link up to your cellphone via bluetooth, so at home you have a traditional handset like you are accustomed to. Think of a wireless phone in your house.. you use it exactly like your normal phone line, but instead of using a landline, the wireless basestation actually associates to your cellphone in the house via bluetooth. Kinda neat. A pesudo best of both worlds as you keep fixed phones in the house, you get the handset which may be more comfortable, visible in the house, but you don't pay for a landline or the crap that comes with it.

I got tired of paying $70 a month for a landline with services which basically duplicated what I was already paying for in a cellphone.

Now we just got a free cell phone, pay the $10/month to have an additional line, and keep that extra cell phone in the house as the 'house phone' for the kids, babysitter, etc so there is always a phone in the house.

Comment

Get a new number. And use that opportunity to remind yourself that it's YOUR phone and you can answer it when and if you feel like it. If you don't see a number or ID, or don't recognize it, let it go to voice mail. Don't give the number out to anyone you wouldn't want calling you at dinnertime.

We use only the cellphones now too. Circumstances forced us to change numbers a couple of times in recent years and it's nice now to just have callers we know.

Comment

I've been getting calls on and off for the last 9 years of people looking for "Fernando or Georgina". I've had everyone from their bank & mortgage company to friends calling looking for them. Luckily the calls have seriously tapered off... for awhile I was getting 2-3 calls a week asking for them. For awhile I thought about changing my number (I only have a cell phone and my carrier will change the number one time for free), but then the calls for "Fernando and Georgina" started to taper off and it's not so bad. And sometimes it's fun to mess with the people on the other end if I've been having a bad day. :evil:

And I always screen my calls. If someone calls and it says "Unknown" or "Out of Area" or it's a number I don't recognize, I let it go to voicemail. If it's important, they'll leave a message. 9 times out of 10, they don't even bother.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                            I got tired of paying $70 a month for a landline with services which basically duplicated what I was already paying for in a cellphone.

Now we just got a free cell phone, pay the $10/month to have an additional line, and keep that extra cell phone in the house as the 'house phone' for the kids, babysitter, etc so there is always a phone in the house.
                            Clever. I got rid of my land line, and since there's no babysitter or kids to need a land line, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                              I have caller ID and an answering machine. I have had the same phone number for over 20 years. Yes, I get telemarketing calls. Yes, I get people who leave messages for people other than me. When my phone rings, if I don't recognize the info on the caller ID, I keep walking. If I don't hear a voice I recognize, or the caller doesn't identify themselves as someone I should pick up for, again I keep walking. It's a necessary fact of life that I screen my phone calls.
                              Now I know why she never picks up when I call!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X