• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsSarah
    formerly PretzelSouls!
    • Aug 2007

Candles By Victoria: REVIEW

I had placed an order of 6 candles and 1 scent shot from Candles by Victoria about a week ago and they came a day early. :yea:

The candles were shipped in a large flat rate box and there was tons of 'popcorn' in the box. The candles were individually wrapped in bubble wrap and spread out around the box. So, I'll give an A+ for safe packaging!

Victoria included a free scent shot in "Juicy Couture." But, unfortunately, forgot the "Bella Swan" scent shot I had ordered. I e-mailed her about the missing scent shot a few minutes ago so I'll keep you updated on how that goes. The Juicy Couture scent shot smells nice and very floral, but, a bit too floral for me so I'll be giving that to one of my dear friends who likes floral scents.

The candles I ordered were: Honey I Washed The Youngins; Christmas Tree; Pumpkin Eggnog; The Porridge Pot; Wildberry Scone; and Christmas Buttered Rum.

I am currently burning "Honey I Washed The Youngins" and will do separate post about each candle I burn.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• MsSarah
    formerly PretzelSouls!
    • Aug 2007

Re: Candles By Victoria: REVIEW

Candle #1:
    Honey I Washed The Youngins:
    This candle is a doupe for "Honey I Washed The Kids" by Lush Cosmetics.

When I first opened the candle, I got a huge wiff of pure honey and a little bit of a nutmeg grind. I rubbed some of the candle wax onto my wrist and then I smelled a little bit of a blackened toffee scent.

I lit the candle and it automatically started to smoke a little bit and the flame reached about 3/4". I couldn't smell a thing from the candle while I was in the room it was burning in so after about 20 minutes, I went outside for a minute and came back into the room. For some reason, I can smell a touch of floral in the candle as well as a hint of brittle.

The website claims that it is a honey and toffee scent but I can get the toffee at a much higher note than the honey.

This candle seems to burn evenly and fill the bottom half of my apartment. It's a golden yellow color with orange-pearl undertones. The carbon deposits are minimal and none have fallen into the melted wax yet.

Honey I Washed The Youngins seems like a good Autumn scent and it brings warmth to my home.

Report Card:

Packaging: A+
    Container: A
    Labeling: A
    Even Burning: A-
    Color For Name: A
    Cold Scent: A-
    Melted Scent: B

Would I Recommend For The Scent?
    Yes.
    Would I Recommend For The Price?
    Yes.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• I Heart Disneyland
      Banned User
      • Aug 2005

You should get a commission from this place!! Now I want to try one of the vanilla ones! Thanks for the report!

Comment

• wolfy
        Still wants to be a cat!
        • Jan 2005

So how much are these candles you are reviewing?
        Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
        it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

• SusieP.
          Ravenclaw

• Jan 2005

Look at your fancy review style! Nice! I can't wait to hear about the rest. :clap:
          A signature should go here.

Comment

• MsSarah
            formerly PretzelSouls!
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
            You should get a commission from this place!! Now I want to try one of the vanilla ones! Thanks for the report!
            :lol: Thanks for viewing & replying!
            Originally posted by wolfy View Post
            So how much are these candles you are reviewing?
            I purchased (6) 8oz no frill jelly jar candles for $40 - it came in a set of 6 candles. You can purchase any 8oz candle for $7.25 though. The 2oz scent shot cost $1.95 and they come with no wick so you need to melt them in a tart warmer. She also generally includes a free scent shot with every order.
            Originally posted by SusieP. View Post
            Look at your fancy review style! Nice! I can't wait to hear about the rest. :clap:
            Thanks!

I'll be posting a review on Christmas Buttered Rum later this afternoon!

Comment

• MsSarah
              formerly PretzelSouls!
              • Aug 2007

Update on the missing scent shot:

I sent Victoria a message last night about 30 minutes before I started this review and just moments ago she replied with a message that said:

" I am very sorry about that Sarah, we will put that in the mail to you today.

Victoria~"

I'm really liking the customer service at CBV - she's SO sweet.
              Last edited by MsSarah; 10-08-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Stitchy
                Disappearing/Reappearing
                • Jun 2006

Thanks SO much for the review. I think these would make great Christmas gifts. Give two to each person...can't beat the price.

Comment

• MsSarah
                  formerly PretzelSouls!
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                  Thanks SO much for the review. I think these would make great Christmas gifts. Give two to each person...can't beat the price.
                  I agree! Candles are always cute gifts, especially for those "hard-to-buy-for" friends.

Comment

• MsSarah
                    formerly PretzelSouls!
                    • Aug 2007

Candle #2:
                    Christmas Buttered Rum
                    This was the candle I had most looked forward to - it just sounded yummy! The site describes it as rich and creamy.

The first thing I noticed as soon as I opened this candle was the strong, sweet scent. When in solid form, it smells a lot like java toffee with undertones of butter and spice. Almost like apple cider spice.

Unlike the Honey I Washed The Youngins candle, this candle did not produce black smoke puffs but the carbon deposits were twice as large on the candle. The wick did not need to be trimmed and it was a perfect 1/8 of an inch. This is one strong smelling candle. It took a couple minutes, but it made the entire room scream buttered rum.

This candle made the entire 3 levels of my apartment smell like sweet, creamy, toffee. I blew out the candle around 10p.m and the scent was still lingering in the morning. I opened one of the windows a crack before I left and when I got back from class today, sure enough, I could still smell the candle.

As the candle lingered, it began to smell more like that classic candle-shop scent that you get every time you walk into a candle store. Now, I'm not saying that's a bad thing - you just have to like that scent, which I do.

I can get hints of vanilla, nutmeg, clove, and apple spice in the mix as well as the butter and rum. The rum smell isn't dominant, but I can tell that it's in there.

This candle also came with her signature "Candles By Victoria" sticker, rustic jelly jar and burning instructions on the bottom. The color golden caramel color with a hint of burnt orange. Very pretty and perfect for the colder months.

Overall, this really is a lovely candle that will make your home toasty feeling.

Report Card:
                    Even Burning: A+
                    Color For Name: A-
                    Cold Scent: A
                    Melted Scent: A+

A definite yes if you like sweet scents.
                    Yes - you can't beat $7.25 for the quality.

UP NEXT: Christmas Tree

Comment

• MsSarah
                      formerly PretzelSouls!
                      • Aug 2007

Candle #3:
                      Christmas Tree:
                      This candle was recommended to me by a person from the Candles By Victoria site.

Upon opening this candle, I got a strong whiff of forest with undertones of olive oil. It smelled almost like what they have sprayed in novelty gift stores during winter. I rubbed some of the wax on my wrist and it immediately released a strong pine tree scent just like the CBV site suggested.

This particular candle released a lot of smoke as soon as I lit it. The fire grew to about 1 1/4 of an inch so I put out the flame, trimmed the wick, and reignited the candle. Sure enough, the untrimmed wick was the issue. It candle released a strong pine scent during the first 20 minutes of burning and then the aroma faded into a soft forest smell. I'd say that this isn't the strongest candle I burned, but it filled the bottom half of my apartment - the site suggest this size of a candle for a small room but it easily would work for a medium sized room.

Surprisingly, this candle's carbon deposits were tiny and almost non-existent (which is a + in my book, those things are messy.) The color is a medium sea green with more of a green undertone. Similar to the other candles, this candle burned evenly and left a very thing layer on the side of the jar, no "canyon" visible.

This wouldn't be the candle that I put out at a holiday, but it brings a nice freshness to my home.

Report Card:
                      Even Burning: A
                      Color For Name: A-
                      Cold Scent: A-
                      Melted Scent: A-

Yes.
                      Yes.

Up next: The Porridge Pot

Comment

• MsSarah
                        formerly PretzelSouls!
                        • Aug 2007

Candle #4:
                        The Porridge Pot:
                        This candle had good reviews on the site so I decided to try it.

The moment I opened this candle, is smelled like a combination of burnt butter and honey. I rubbed the wax onto my wrist and the odd odor didn't change a bit. I could get a hint of vanilla and old raisins.

The wax had set in this candle upon arrival so I needed to trim the wick a bit. I did this and when lit, there was no smoke. I can honestly say that I had much higher hopes for this candle. It sounded yummy on the website but just didn't meet expectations. While burning, it released the same burnt butter, old raisins, and vanilla scent. I burned it for 2 hours (enough for it to form a "memory" and after I blew it out, I immediately opened up all the windows in the house.

The Porrdige Pot make me extremely queasy and gave me a headache that lasted until the scent was completely out of the house. It took about 12 hours to air out the house and until then I remained sick. Ick.

The color of this candle is a primary yellow with golden undertones.

Report Card:

Even Burning: B
                        Color For Name: A
                        Cold Scent: F-
                        Melted Scent: F-

No.
                        No.

Up next: Pumpkin Eggnog

Comment

• miapoepia
                          ....whatever....
                          • Jul 2006

Thanks for the great reviews. I'm going to order some of the candles, because of you and your reviews . I think they will great for holidays gifts. Just trying to decide on which scents.

Comment

• MsSarah
                            formerly PretzelSouls!
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by miapoepia View Post
                            Thanks for the great reviews. I'm going to order some of the candles, because of you and your reviews . I think they will great for holidays gifts. Just trying to decide on which scents.
                            Thank you! I'm glad that you enjoyed my reviews! I agree, I think they would make nice holiday gifts. There are so many scents - it's hard to choose! :lol: So far my favorites have been Christmas Buttered Rum, Wildberry Scone (It's a little sweet though) and Pumpkin Eggnog. Juicy Couture is REALLY floral if you like that kind of candle.

You can always e-mail Victoria (the owner) about scent recommendations on her youtube channel and she's really great about responding.

Comment

• Stitchy
                              Disappearing/Reappearing
                              • Jun 2006

I think I might order some for Christmas.

I'm looking for one scent in particular though.

Does anyone know the smell of the Christmas shop in MK at WDW? THAT'S the smell I want. It's this great Christmasy cinnamon smell. I don't like strong cinnamon, but, this is just right.

Comment

• IzzyInWonderland
                                Mrs. J. Depp
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                                I think I might order some for Christmas.

I'm looking for one scent in particular though.

Does anyone know the smell of the Christmas shop in MK at WDW? THAT'S the smell I want. It's this great Christmasy cinnamon smell. I don't like strong cinnamon, but, this is just right.
                                I love Christmas smells as well, but not too much. I don't know what that store smells like, but to get a nice holiday aroma I burn a Yankee Cinnamon candle and a pine tree candle in the same room. It's not overly fragrant (well at least not to me) and it gives off a cozy feel. I hope you can find that scent you're looking for.

Sarah, thanks for the reviews. I would definitely love to buy candles from this place sometime!

Facebook me!
                                Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

• MsSarah
                                  formerly PretzelSouls!
                                  • Aug 2007

Update:

I just received the package Victoria was going to send me with the Bella Swan scent shot that was missing from the initial order. And all I can say is WOW. She's SO sweet. Along with the Bella Swan scent shot, she also included 5 other scent shots. How kind is that. She sent me Cake Bake, Winter Snowflake, Christmas Eve, Spiced Apple Pie, and Nutty Candied Apple. Awww.

If you guys would like, I'll do a review on the scent shots as well as the remaining candles.

Comment

• wolfy
                                    Still wants to be a cat!
                                    • Jan 2005

Please do!
                                    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                                    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

• IzzyInWonderland
                                      Mrs. J. Depp
                                      • Mar 2008

Yes please do!

Facebook me!
                                      Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

• MsSarah
                                        formerly PretzelSouls!
                                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by wolfy View Post
                                        Please do!
                                        Originally posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
                                        Yes please do!

Ok, I'll definitely do that

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X