This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me decide about Facebook

I gave my grandson's mom a photo from a party that I had years ago. She put it on her page. After quite some time that photo began appearing on many other people's pages that she wasn't directly friends with. Now, did her friends steal (for lack of a better word) that photo from her, and then in turn it was then also stolen again by other people on Facebook.

Now mind you, I am not paranoid. I am just trying to understand things. I do know, for instance that by right clicking on a photo you can almost always save a picture to your photo files on your computer. Is that how it works on Facebook, as well?
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
      I do know, for instance that by right clicking on a photo you can almost always save a picture to your photo files on your computer. Is that how it works on Facebook, as well?

Actually - that's how the internet works...

Facebook is no exception. You never post a picture that you wouldn't want to see in the newspaper.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

I never did MySpace, won't do Twitter, but I really like Facebook. I've been on Facebook for about a year now. I would say 80% of my friends have also joined Facebook only within the last 18 months or so. It has been great for keeping up with friends from high school, college, old coworkers and many people I haven't talked to in years.

I often access Facebook on my phone when I'm out. For a few of my closest friends, I will get a text message from them if they leave something on Facebook ... for the rest I will see it when I see it. Facebook is a great way to share photos of recent events. You can decide who will see the photos you post ... All of your friends, just some of them, or you can select just people you don't want to see them. Some people set up photos so anyone can see them, or friends of friends ... I only let direct friends see them. Now is someone saves it and post it on their own page that is different, but I've never had that happen with any of my friends.

I've set up some rules for myself that help me keep my Facebook in control. I don't have to be friends with everybody I know ... I don't play any games ... I don't join any causes ... If someone is posting like crazy, all day everyday, I remove from my newsfeed so I don't see them anymore.
        sigpic

Comment

I have been discussing this with my husband on and off during the day. He has made a few comments about the photo thing. I tell him how I post photos of our family sometime on Micechat. Of course MiceChat doesn't have the millions of people that Facebook has. I think it is common courtesy to not take another person's photos unless you ask, but obviously it does happen since Sean's mother's friends were doing it to her long before she realized.

I am trying to really get a handle on the types of benefits and drawbacks that exist on Facebook before, and if I decide to open an account. I appreciate everyone's comments.
          BarbaraAnn

Comment

When you post a picture on MC you can never be sure how many 1,000+ of guests may be viewing it. On FB you can limit who can see your pictures in the securities setting. I am also one of those people that unless I 'really know you' will I accept a friendship request.

I think you should give it a try on a limited basis without putting up pictures for a short period of time to see if you like it. You can always delete your account if you decide its not for you.
            sigpic

Comment

Also keep in mind Barbara that you can also use it for an up to the minute update while you are on vacation. My phone is capable of uploading pictures directly to Facebook and updating my status very easily. So while I'm standing in line for Space Mountain for example, I can take a picture of me, upload it to FB and then I share that moment with my friends. It's a nice way to have an instant trip report. :P

Comment

Today's technology is a wonderful thing, and I have been taking more and more avantage of it lately. I don't learn as quickly as others might, but eventually I get curious and I ask a lot of questions so that the learning process goes a little smoother. Sometimes my grandson sighs when I ask him a question, but him and his mom are usually quite helpful. I have learned a lot here on MiceChat as well.

My husband isn't in to anywhere near as much as the rest of us in our family, but we did finally get him to send text messages by buying him a phone with a full keyboard.

Well I have gotten sidetracked.

I am assuming that if you can friend a person, than you can unfriend them. I guess the next step for me would be to decide just how deeply involved I want to get on Facebook if at all. The reason I started this thread was because you really can't go on Facebook and see it without signing up. It's not like reading MiceChat before you actually signed on as a member.

I have decided to take the plunge and I am going to sign up for Facebook. I'll let you all know what I think of it tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

I have found several old school friends from 30 years ago and also friends I knew in my 20's, which was 20 years ago. It's been a great thing for me and my family to stay in touch too because we're spread all over the U.S. I'm not a person who lets just anyone in my circle of friends there. Only people I feel I can trust with my family and my old friends. It's a fun tool, Barbarann, if you do want to keep in touch with family and friends from the past and currently. I will say, however, my niece doesn't like me using her son's image on my main page, where anyone on earth can see it. Just in the private areas where just my circle of friends can browse it. You can make it VERY private, which I like. Nobody can even find me, unless they know my current name and my email address. (That way, people that I DON'T want to find me from the past, can't find me!)

One warning...things like Farmville DO suck a lot of time! I play it and while it's fun, I end up on there and suddenly it's an hour! ha!

Comment

Good for you. I know I'm really happy I did. And yes, you can unfriend someone or "hide" them.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post

One warning...things like Farmville DO suck a lot of time! I play it and while it's fun, I end up on there and suddenly it's an hour! ha!
                      I play about 6 or 7 games and I can play/update them all oin under an hour.

It's all about how much time you want to /have to spend on it. Weekends I have more time, but when I'm working during the week I do quick fly bys whne I get off work.

Comment

I joined Facebook last June. Since I retired, it's been a good way to stay in contact with former colleagues. The vast majority of my Facebook friends are people I know in person, but there are a few others I've added, either from other online sites (like MiceChat) or, more often, friends or family members of people I know. A couple have children serving on the same Navy ship as my son.

My Navy son accepted my friend request but asked my not to write on his wall. It's enabled me to see pictures of him that his other Facebook friends have posted.

Even so, I'm careful not to post specific future plans or really personal info about myself or my family. Most of my wall posts are about bike rides, since there's not much else to talk about. I sometimes wonder if more than a handful pay attention.

I stay away from the games and block them from my feed. I don't care what anyone has done in Farmville or Mafia Wars, but I still read what's going on for real.
                        Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
                        2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
                        2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
                        sigpic

Comment

Well I signed up last night, and I sent a friend request to my niece. She was online so I already have a friend. I sent a few friend requests and we will see what happens. I found a lot of this very confusing but I am sure that's because it's a new thing for me. I will let my grandson send me a friend request if he wants to.

Basically I see how it all works, and I am taking this thing slow at first. I need to decide what types of photos I might want to include.

I also need to learn what things you can do, and then perhaps undo. There does seem to be a whole lot of different settings for things. Some I have already personalized, and some I will change if I feel the need.

My internet is acting weird this morning. I could come on here, but not on my usual home page. It also let me go on Facebook through my favorites. That's how I got on MiceChat.
                          BarbaraAnn

Comment

I need to do a lot of reading about just how things work. I clicked on the help settting, and it is indeed setting.

I gave my grandson the option of friending me if he wanted to, and he did. Right now I have 5 friends. I have a lot of catching up to do. By that I mean a lot of people are Facebook saavy, and I need to catch up to them. Hopefully, I will be able to keep in touch with a few people by doing the Facebook thing.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

There are a lot of possibilities on Facebook. You can get in touch with old friends, lost relatives (I've done both) You can get updates on favorite movies, tv shows, destinations (yes...Disneyland) You can basically do what YOU want to do. If you don't want to play games or take quizzes, you don't have to. If you don't want to see what games your friends play, you can block the notices. I have friended a few MCers, the local newspapers, etc. It's nice getting updates.

As for photos, as others have said you can control who can see your photos. I keep mine set on 'friends only'.

You can unfriend people or just hide their posts so that you don't see their messages but they are still on your friends list.

If you want help or have questions, I'm sure a lot of us would help, myself included. I'm not an expert, I just experiment or ask my husband who uses it for business.

Just play with it and have fun...the worst that happens is you don't like it and let the account go dormant or delete it!

Comment

As has been said, Facebook can be great for catching up with old friends, and keeping up with people you don't see often.

I have some casual friends I see maybe once or twice a year. Facebook allows me to see their vacation photos, and keep up with what's happening in their lives.

Be sure to go into the privacy settings. Before you change them for example, if a friend of yours comments on your photos, their friends will see their comments and your photos. However, you can change settings so that only friends can see photos.

You mentioned agreeing not to post on a certain person's wall. No need to promise, there are ways for them to control whether you can post to their wall.

It's a great site and I hope you find it valuable.

Just don't let it take over your life, *cough* FarmVille *cough*.
                                My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

glad you joined! it is really nice to share pics with family and friends

Orlando doing good
                                  http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
                                  Princess of Randomness

Comment

I remember how long it took me to find my way around here at MiceChat, so I know that I won't learn Facebook right away. I put up a few photos, so I had to install the proper thing to make loading the photos easy. I haven't labeled anything so far. Like I said, I will learn this as I go along. I am surprised at some people that I know that have pages, and other that don't have it.

I would love to have some MiceChat friends as Facebook friends as well, so if anyone would like that as well please send me a PM.
                                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by pratt55 View Post
                                      I think its a great way to quickly communicate with family and friends and to find old friends. You can get info out quickly for example my niece let us all know at the same time that she was pregnant (of course she called her mommy and told her first). I probably spend a total of an hour on it in a day, checking in and out. The most time I spend is playing bingo. From what I understand if you play any of the other games (Sorority Life, Farmville, Mafia Wars, etc.) it can consume your time.
                                      i second this entirely! its so nice to be able to keep up with friends and family all in one place- but if you can steer away from application requests, you shouldn't have to lose all your free time to it.

Comment

CMHusband Likes this!
                                        Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                                        Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                                          I was going to title this thread, To Facebook, or not to Facebook. I decided on "Help me decide about Facebook" instead. I am actually sitting on the fence as to whether or not I should have a Facebook account or not.

It does seem that a great majority of people have accounts on Facebook. I notice the word Facebook a lot as I visit websites on the internet. I also understand that some people do spend a lot of time on that site. It is the time element that concerns me the most.

On one hand I would love to be able to connect with family members and friends and be able to chat and share pictures. On the other hand, do I really want to begin an account that may take up more of my time than I am willing to devote to it? I have many other things that I spend my time doing and I don't want that to change.

So honestly, if you have a Facebook account tell me why you like it. If you don't tell me why as well. I would also like to know on the average how much time do you spend on the site?

So, help me decide about Facebook.
                                          I love it cause it's my only connection to family. I'd say set yourself up an account. You just check it whenever you want to.

I even found my long lost cousin on facebook and many childhood friends I had been searching years for! Facebook helped me end a lot of searches for people I really wanted to reconnect with.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X