Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to get a Mom for Christmas?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What to get a Mom for Christmas?

    I go back and forth every year with what to get my Mother for her Christmas gift and I figured that I should ask my fellow MCrs for ideas since a lot of you are wives/mothers/ect and I want to see your thoughts.

    Her home is simple white but she really loves calming colors like a light olive green. I'm looking to get her multiple small things vs. one big gift - small things as in $5 - $15 each.

    I really can't think of anything she "needs" at the moment since she has most of the things she would really want so now I'm looking for something useful.

    So please share your gift ideas - I appreciate all the help I can get!


    -Sarah
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau


  • #2
    Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

    I already got her these cute little tealight candle holders and a pack of tealights from Crate and Barrel. They had them in a set of 6 holders and a pack of tealights for $10 and it was nicely wrapped and topped off with a bow.
    Crate and Barrel - Candleholders shopping in Crate and Barrel Candleholders
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

      Does your mom like to hang photos? Maybe you can buy her some frames to go with her color scheme. Or even better, if you enjoy photography, maybe print out some of your best shots and frame them for her! [=

      I'm thinking about doing portraits of my brothers and I to give to my mom for Christmas this year. She doesn't have any recent photos of us around the house; the most recent picture of us is from July, 2008!

      ~Lianna~

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

        I was going to suggest photos as well. My mom never wanted us to fuss over her at Christmas, but she would always smile a lot when we presented her with Family photographs.
        BarbaraAnn

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

          I was going to ask this same question, PS! LOL


          I finally gave up and asked my mom what she wanted. She said she wants a robe.

          Before that, I was racking my brain trying to come up with things. I thought maybe a picture throw. You know, those you can get a picture put on? Last year, I had a calender made for her through Disney's photopass. I put all our favorite family pictures from WDW on it. She loved it.



          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

            Has a mom who has reached a point in her life that I really don't "need" any more stuff... I agree with the others. Anything picture related is a great idea! You could have a portraits done of you and Olivia.... that is... if Olivia would sit still long enough to have her picture taken! :lol:




            Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


            Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
            all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

              If she doesn't need any more stuff, perhaps get her a certificate for a massage or a mani/pedi? When my mom turned 50, I had the worst time deciding on a gift for her, I finally settled on a massage (don;t forget to pay the tip, too!) and she LOVED it. 4 years later she still raves about what a wonderful gift it was.

              You can probably find some local day spa with decent prices online. I think I paid $100 for an hour body massage, but I know there are many different options in many different price ranges.
              Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                Wow. That's a great idea, SunnyG!

                I might do that for my mom's bday in Feb!



                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                  After years of buying me gifts that were nice, but not really "ME", my older son asks me for a list. Then he buys me something off my list. I get really great presents that way. My younger son buys me gift certificates, and that's great too.
                  BarbaraAnn

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                    An opportunity to sleep. No Mom would refuse that.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                      My mom always gives me a list of things she wants and I pick something from said list.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                        I'm going to add to those suggesting photos. My mom hates that digital cameras don't give you something immediately tangible, how the pictures tend to just get stored on a computer and that's it. Maybe get a photo album from Aaron Brothers or Target and print out pictures from 2009 that include your mom...holidays, birthdays, family events, etc. Having the pictures all in one pretty place will trigger memories and smiles.
                        MCDADMCA

                        ^clicky clicky^

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                          I just ask. Usually while at disneyana I ask which one she wants and then buy it for her...easy.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                            Nothing says "love you mom!" like a new washer and dryer for the laundry. :blink::lol:And mom's reaction would be: :bash:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                              As a mom, I would love Sunnygirl as my daughter because that is what my boys usually get me. Another favorite is gift certificates for my favorite movie theater and restaurants. This year my boys have out done themselves already and bought and paid for our airplane tickets to go to anniversary and are paying for our hotel for our birthdays.

                              Pictures are great, when my son was 18 I had him and his 2 bff since 6th grade go get professional portraits done as a gift to all 3 of us moms. Needless to say all of us moms still have that picture on our walls.
                              sigpic

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                                All great suggestions here! I was going to suggest the same as Sunnygirl and Pratt, either a massage gc or a restaurant/movie gc's. You could even do it all cutesy as a day to do together.



                                Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                                  And you can easily get restuarant gcs at almost any other store )

                                  A family picture type thing, maybe a picture on something from kodakgallery.com would be nice. I think you're away at school? so she probably misses you and that would be a nice reminder.

                                  What are some things she like? My mom likes tea so I always get her some tea from Disneyland/WDW or Epcot.

                                  An ornament might be a good idea too.
                                  Good morning, son
                                  In twenty years from now
                                  Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                  And I can tell you 'bout today
                                  And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                  It was pain
                                  Sunny days and rain
                                  I knew you'd feel the same things...


                                  sigpic

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: What to get a Mom for Christmas?

                                    Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                                    And you can easily get restuarant gcs at almost any other store )

                                    A family picture type thing, maybe a picture on something from kodakgallery.com would be nice. I think you're away at school? so she probably misses you and that would be a nice reminder.

                                    What are some things she like? My mom likes tea so I always get her some tea from Disneyland/WDW or Epcot.
                                    An ornament might be a good idea too.
                                    Yup, I'm away at school so she hasn't seen me - or the cat - for a while, thanks for the idea! I think a nice, framed picture would be lovely. Also, I like the idea of something from Disneyland....she adores the coffee in those mini tins from there so I think that might be a pleaser!

                                    Originally posted by dsnylndmom View Post
                                    All great suggestions here! I was going to suggest the same as Sunnygirl and Pratt, either a massage gc or a restaurant/movie gc's. You could even do it all cutesy as a day to do together.
                                    I would, but she won't let anyone touch her to get a massage and she's not a fan of going to the movies. But thanks for the idea!

                                    Originally posted by pratt55 View Post
                                    As a mom, I would love Sunnygirl as my daughter because that is what my boys usually get me. Another favorite is gift certificates for my favorite movie theater and restaurants. This year my boys have out done themselves already and bought and paid for our airplane tickets to go to anniversary and are paying for our hotel for our birthdays.

                                    Pictures are great, when my son was 18 I had him and his 2 bff since 6th grade go get professional portraits done as a gift to all 3 of us moms. Needless to say all of us moms still have that picture on our walls.
                                    Aw, what good kids. That was really nice of them and very generous. Maybe something along the lines of a Disneyland ticket and a couple nights at the GCH would be a great gift!

                                    Originally posted by Barbossa View Post
                                    Nothing says "love you mom!" like a new washer and dryer for the laundry. :blink::lol:And mom's reaction would be: :bash:
                                    :lol: She's strange...she always enjoyed doing laundry....and cleaning. Her home is always in tip-top order.

                                    Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                                    I just ask. Usually while at disneyana I ask which one she wants and then buy it for her...easy.
                                    I'd do that, but she's SO hard to surprise so I'm looking along the lines of something she'll have no idea about. But thanks!

                                    Originally posted by MissChristine View Post
                                    I'm going to add to those suggesting photos. My mom hates that digital cameras don't give you something immediately tangible, how the pictures tend to just get stored on a computer and that's it. Maybe get a photo album from Aaron Brothers or Target and print out pictures from 2009 that include your mom...holidays, birthdays, family events, etc. Having the pictures all in one pretty place will trigger memories and smiles.
                                    We don't have an Aaron Brothers up here, but I think she'd love a cute photo album filled with pictures. Thanks!

                                    Originally posted by aimster View Post
                                    My mom always gives me a list of things she wants and I pick something from said list.
                                    That would make it easy - however, she won't tell me what she wants! :lol: If I ask her, she always replies "Save your money, don't buy me anything." Thanks for the help!

                                    Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
                                    An opportunity to sleep. No Mom would refuse that.
                                    :blink: :lol: Well, since she has the house to herself, I don't think there is anything blocking her from sleep. But thanks!

                                    Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                                    After years of buying me gifts that were nice, but not really "ME", my older son asks me for a list. Then he buys me something off my list. I get really great presents that way. My younger son buys me gift certificates, and that's great too.
                                    Thanks for the help! I think she would like a gift certificate to Target or Wal-Mart...those are her favorite stores.

                                    Originally posted by sunnygirl View Post
                                    If she doesn't need any more stuff, perhaps get her a certificate for a massage or a mani/pedi? When my mom turned 50, I had the worst time deciding on a gift for her, I finally settled on a massage (don;t forget to pay the tip, too!) and she LOVED it. 4 years later she still raves about what a wonderful gift it was.

                                    You can probably find some local day spa with decent prices online. I think I paid $100 for an hour body massage, but I know there are many different options in many different price ranges.
                                    Thanks for the idea! She would never let anyone touch her for a massage or use a mani/pedi gift certificate since she's not a big nail person - but something like that would be really nice. Thanks for the ideas!

                                    Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                                    Has a mom who has reached a point in her life that I really don't "need" any more stuff... I agree with the others. Anything picture related is a great idea! You could have a portraits done of you and Olivia.... that is... if Olivia would sit still long enough to have her picture taken! :lol:
                                    :lol: Great idea. Olivia in nooo way would stay still for that though. She hates it when I take her to get the annual picture with Santa at PetSmart. Last year she tried to claw the poor guy to death. LOL. Oops.

                                    Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                                    I was going to ask this same question, PS! LOL


                                    I finally gave up and asked my mom what she wanted. She said she wants a robe.

                                    Before that, I was racking my brain trying to come up with things. I thought maybe a picture throw. You know, those you can get a picture put on? Last year, I had a calender made for her through Disney's photopass. I put all our favorite family pictures from WDW on it. She loved it.
                                    OH, I love the idea of one of those throw blankets. She'd love one with Miss Olivia on it. Thanks for the idea!

                                    Originally posted by hyperlitehunny View Post
                                    Does your mom like to hang photos? Maybe you can buy her some frames to go with her color scheme. Or even better, if you enjoy photography, maybe print out some of your best shots and frame them for her! [=

                                    I'm thinking about doing portraits of my brothers and I to give to my mom for Christmas this year. She doesn't have any recent photos of us around the house; the most recent picture of us is from July, 2008!
                                    I like the frame idea. Her frames are worn out and falling off the wall. Some of them are her great-grandmothers. :lol: Thanks for the help!
                                    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

                                    Comment

                                    Get Away Today Footer

                                    Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X