X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand42
    replied
    Re: I need help....

Lianna, I'm only following your saga in this thread right now. Unfortunately, I have no great insight to offer but hopefully everything works out for you!

I hope you don't feel too bad about any mistakes you may have made. It's almost like a rite of passage for younger people to get into screw ups where you're completely in over your head. I myself have had two of them.

Good luck with everything!

Leave a comment:

• NatdRat
    replied

Originally posted by hyperlitehunny View Post
    The police are still trying to contact me (I was contacted sometime last week and just earlier a different cop called), and I've just been going with what the lawyer said and not speaking to them or answering my calls. I don't answer any of the phone calls I get if I don't recognize the number.

I called the same lawyer for advice, but she wasn't in the office when I called. So I just left a message.

I'm hoping she calls back tomorrow.
    At this point I suggest talking to the police by returning their phone call. They are probably just trying to get your side of the story so that they can make a decision on what to do with the complaint. Having tried repeatedly to contact you and not getting a response might be starting to seem suspicious to them. Under no circumstances should you agree to "come down to the station" to talk to them (or at least not without your lawyer present).
    Hopefully your mom's lawyer friend will call back soon, but it may come down to you having to hire them for a bit to sort this all out if the police continue to be persistant after they get your side of things.

Leave a comment:

• Joshnyah
    replied

Are sure its the real police? I wouldnt just hang up on the cops just yet, is she turning it in as CC Fraud? I may have missed that in a previous post, thats the only way I can see that the cops would be involved.

Leave a comment:

• Joshnyah
    replied

I have seen similar situations where the letter can be fought against due to the fact that it was not signed and notarized so officially its just a promise, now the paying under the counter depends on how much wages she paid you under the counter she can be at fault and you also can be at fault if you fall into a tax bracket that you would be required to pay, It was illegal for her to withhold your possessions from you, yet she has signatures on the CC statements with your signature, I would let it go to court threaten her as everyone else on here is saying and let it go to small claims court, worse case scenario you will have to pay the amex that you charged, it will be questionable if you have to pay the interest on it but the good thing is if you do not earn much you will be able to pay a minimum on the debt, it is happening right now and we are owed 1300 and they allowed them to pay 50 dollars a month. So basically its a toss up, I wouldn't stress about it to much, I mean you got your stuff back and even though she told you to use the amex card under her permission and she would cover it, at least it was used for you and you shouldnt feel that bad having to pay it back. If it were me I would pay her back and move on its not worth the hassle but make sure you do it correctly from here on out, pay with checks or money orders and put on them what they are for your records. This isnt the end of the world just a minor setback.

Leave a comment:

• Stitchy
    replied

I would ask the lawyer if you could answer the phone the next time they call and give them her number.

That way, you could answer and tell the cops.."yes, I am Lianne *****. I have turned the matter over to my lawyer. You can reach her at this number *******."
    And hang up.

Leave a comment:

• hyperlitehunny
    replied

Cops are still trying to contact me, and they've left a message stating they will take it to the DA for embezzlement and that they'll put out a warrant. They've also been calling my house phone.

I called the same lawyer for advice, but she wasn't in the office when I called. So I just left a message.

I'm hoping she calls back tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• hyperlitehunny
    replied

The police are still trying to contact me (I was contacted sometime last week and just earlier a different cop called), and I've just been going with what the lawyer said and not speaking to them or answering my calls. I don't answer any of the phone calls I get if I don't recognize the number.

I think my former boss has stopped contacting me and is just leaving it in the hands of the police since she never responded to my email.

Leave a comment:

• Sambo
    replied

, but maybe she's just finding another way to attack me.
    And that would be yet another strike against her. Glad you got legal counsel. We are all tuned in to hear about your progress.

Leave a comment:

• hyperlitehunny
    replied

So far, no email.

I'm surprised because I know she links her email to her blackberry, but maybe she's just finding another way to attack me. lol

Will keep you all posted!

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

lawyer/attorney = same thing

Either word is appropriate.

If "Cruella" tries to harass you more, tell her that she will have to speak to your attorney. That ought to shut her up if she knows you're not going to be bullied. And that's what this woman is... a big, mean bully. Bullies use fear/intimidation to get what they want. Let her know you're not taking this laying down.

Leave a comment:

• MsKaren
    replied

Glad to hear you got to speak with a lawyer. Good luck with your interviews! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Leave a comment:

• hyperlitehunny
    replied

Originally posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    That sounds good. I hope she really gains some common sense between now that then.

By the way, you might want to edit your last name out on here, just for personal safety reasons.
    Thanks! I did just that! [=

To be honest, I was quite scared when I got the voicemail from the police. But the lawyer (attorney? i'm not sure which is the proper term to use...) said that they're just out to scare me.

I guess I was also scared that because she (ex-employer) had money, that meant she also had power. (I have that association with rich people... If they have money, they have power) The lawyer calmed my feelings down when she said, "Just cause she has money doesn't mean she has power."

Let's see where this goes. I will post if she emails me!

Leave a comment:

• MsSarah
    replied

I've sent her a spreadsheet with this email:

"I will not be paying you the amount of $3552.57.

What you did was completely illegal. Holding my personal belongings in order for me to sign the contract makes it invalid.

I will only pay you $1755.10, as that is what I believe are my personal charges. I will not pay back interest, as there is no valid document stating to do so. Seeing as though I do not have a job, I will come up with a payment plan in order to pay you back.

Lianna "

Simple, pretty blunt. But that summed up what the lawyer said.

(The job hunt is actually going good, so far I have two interviews lined up! Yay! hehe)
    That sounds good. I hope she really gains some common sense between now that then.

By the way, you might want to edit your last name out on here, just for personal safety reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Stitchy
    replied

please, continue to let us know how this all turns out. I REALLY hope this lady gets over herself.

Leave a comment:

• hyperlitehunny
    replied

I've sent her a spreadsheet with this email:

"I will not be paying you the amount of $3552.57.

What you did was completely illegal. Holding my personal belongings in order for me to sign the contract makes it invalid.

I will only pay you $1755.10, as that is what I believe are my personal charges. I will not pay back interest, as there is no valid document stating to do so. Seeing as though I do not have a job, I will come up with a payment plan in order to pay you back.

Lianna"

Simple, pretty blunt. But that summed up what the lawyer said.

(The job hunt is actually going good, so far I have two interviews lined up! Yay! hehe)
    Last edited by hyperlitehunny; 01-07-2010, 11:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stitchy
    replied

yes, I hope everything works out. That woman sounds horrible.

Leave a comment:

• aashee
    replied

Thanks for the update. That seems to be a wise course of action. Again, best of luck to you.

Leave a comment:

• hyperlitehunny
    replied

Hi everyone, happy new year!

I did, in fact, speak to a lawyer. My mom's friend had recommended his lawyer friend to my mom for me to get in contact.

My former employer I guess is having a police report filed, and the police have contacted me and said that I have to call them back so they can get my side of the story.

I've told this to the lawyer, and she said not to call them back. So I didn't do that. I just ignored the voicemail and hope that they don't call me back.

The lawyer said that what she did, holding my personal belongings and making me sign a contract, was illegal. She said that this makes the contract invalid. The lawyer said that I should get in contact with her, state that I will only pay the $1700 (I don't know the amount in full off the top of my head) and send her a spreadsheet with these said charges. Since I don't have a job, I will have to come up with a payment plan for her. I will also not be paying her interest because the lawyer said that in order to collect monies with interest, we have to have a valid document. That, we do not have.

So that's all for now. I'm going to send her that email and spreadsheet and see what happens.

I thank all of you for all the support!

Leave a comment:

• IzzyInWonderland
    replied

What a shady woman. I don't have a problem with her paying you under the table, that's the same as babysitting. All nannies that I know get paid this way. But it looks like she was out to get you from the start, and seeing where you would mess up so she could get something out of it. How sick. Some people thrive on this. I know you can't erase time, but I would have used that card strictly for yours and her daughters outings together only and nothing personal for yourself. How were you to know that this stupid lady would turn it all around on you someday? Ughhh that's so infuriating. I wish you the best of luck and I hope that this works out in your favor!

EDIT: I'd also like to add that this woman keeping your personal possessions from you until you signed some paper is unlawful and she had absolutely no authority to do that. She could get in a lot of trouble for that.

Leave a comment:

• Stitchy
    replied

Isn't that letter considered blackmail? Exboss lady is threatening to turn her into the police unless she's paid.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X