Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you become a blood marrow donor?

I know a few people here have said they are one. After reading a local news story about a toddler needing a transplant....I thought....what if it were my child?

So, I want to check into becoming one. Anyone have any information?

Re: How do you become a blood marrow donor?

Call the Red Cross and/or a local hospital.

Comment

now see. I didn't even think about the Red Cross. My brain is not working today.

Thanks aashee.

Comment

Check out

National Marrow Donor Program - Be The Match Marrow Registry

Comment

Blood marrow? Do you mean bone marrow?

Comment

yeah....LOL. Bone marrow. Sorry......brain doesn't kick in on my days off.

I found out there's a local fund raiser on St Patty's day. They are doing free cheek swabs for anyone interested in being a donor. I really do want to check into this. I think if it could help save someone's life..it's worth whatever discomfort it might cause me.

Comment

thank you snorkletsmom!!!!!!

Comment

Remember though, you've got a kid - I'm not 100% sure about the 'down' time after donating marrow, but it may put you out of work and caretaking for a bit. People need blood donations daily after car accidents, ect if you are interested in donating blood...it can be just as helpful and still save lives. You can donate whole blood, platelets, plasma and double red cells.

Red Cross Blood Donating
                "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Congrats on going through this process.

I joined the bone marrow registry a few years ago. I've been part way through the process on 2 different occasions.

The procedure is usually done as an outpatient procedure of a single, overnight stay. Full recovery usually in a few weeks.

I'm a firm believer in blood donation also. Bone marrow donation is a life saving gift. It's a great thing if you're in a position to be a donor.

Comment

After seeing my Dad going through getting a liver, I'm a firm believer that there is no excuse not to be a donor in one way or the other. Plus it helps that I'm a gusher, when i donate blood it comes out alomst faster than they can switch vials.

Comment

I've never been able to donate blood. I never weighed enough...till I had my daughter, and after that...I was always low on iron. The other day was the first time a doctor said my blood work looked good. So, I want to start donating!

Comment

I have only gotton my source for the movie "seven pounds" but doesnt donating boone marrow extremly painful?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X